• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shock Replacement How To?

wired1000

Dumb question... but wanted some tips as I have not done this before. Got replacement shocks for my M1009 (RS5000's! :) ) and am planning to switch them out myself.

According to TM-20, you just unbolt them and bolt up the new ones. Some questions I had are:

- Do I need to jack up the vehicle or anything? Maybe move that dirt cover in the wheel well out of the way?

- Are there some kind of plastic or rubber bushings that go in the shock mounts? Or do they just bolt up?

Any other tricks or tips, I'm very grateful. Thanks!

:beer:

wired1000

Well, answered one of my own questions... the RS5000's have a sort of rubbery-plastic bushing in each end. Hadn't noticed it at first because it's painted the same color as the metal.

Other tips, let's have em!

cpf240

Soak the bolts in PB Blaster a few days ahead of the planned swap.

I put mine up on jack stands and pulled the wheels for easier access.

Have a good selection of socket extensions on hand for the right rear. Left rear is a bit of a pain, but not too bad. Air tools would help.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Jacking up the front frame rail does help get the shocks in, remember you are compressing the shock and trying to stab the bolt at the same time. Never did the rears this way, but could not hurt.

Might want to paint the shocks 383 before install to help them match the truck colour.

And like stated above, air tools make it REAL easy!!!

Uh, safety, use JACKSTANDS!!!

Last edited:

Terracoma

I like to let the suspension fully droop when I do shocks; jack stands under the frame rails as high as they need to go, with the suspension hanging free.

With a stock suspension and stock-length shocks, the fully extended length of the shock will be really close to the full down-travel of the suspension. Saves you from having to compress the shock much (if at all) to get the bolts lined up and installed. I also like to get the shocks installed, remove the jack stands and set the weight of the truck back on the suspension, and then torque the mounting bolts to spec.

wired1000

Thanks all. Bolts have been soaking since last night, but am experiencing some other issues I may need to take care of first.