• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shocks for m35

seabeeut

After searching the post's I went with napa#76787 glad I did the old shocks were shot and one lower stud was bent to the point of cracking.
The pair went on fast no problems I had to jack the frame about 1/4 inch to fit them in. The bushings were a little high but cutting off the raised portion of the top one let me catch the first threads of the stud job done.
The only thing that should be checked is the new shock is larger in dia, and rubbed the brake line(see pic) simple fix just a slight rebend and all's well.
Very noticable improvement in ride she's come a long way from a few months ago when we drove her home and over 40mph the front jumped side to side so hard you coukld barely drive. :-D

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are like $55 each or so. About the same as ones for my pickup truck. Glad they worked out for ya.:beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After searching the post's I went with napa#76787 glad I did the old shocks were shot and one lower stud was bent to the point of cracking.
The pair went on fast no problems I had to jack the frame about 1/4 inch to fit them in. The bushings were a little high but cutting off the raised portion of the top one let me catch the first threads of the stud job done.
The only thing that should be checked is the new shock is larger in dia, and rubbed the brake line(see pic) simple fix just a slight rebend and all's well.
Very noticable improvement in ride she's come a long way from a few months ago when we drove her home and over 40mph the front jumped side to side so hard you coukld barely drive. :-D
I used the Monroe 34787 shocks as well and they have worked out great. Not only is the ride better, but excessive wear on my passenger-side front tire has been stopped. I painted them prior to putting them on as it was easier. The Monroe 34787 shocks were the same diameter as the original ones installed in my case. I suspect several manufacturers of shocks were used on Deuces. In another post, someone found Canadian-manufactured Gabriels. My original shocks didn't have any manufacture listed.

STrider3

I am fairly certain I need a pair also. 32 years is a lot to ask of a shock absorber to hold pressure. They usually don't hold it for that long. I see them on ebay for as little as $63 but that is for a military unit. I am going the NAPA route. Thanks for the thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
sagging, extra bouncy when you drive. Or just pull them off and push them down and pull them up and see how much resistance you have.

STrider3

FWIW the front end will not sag when a shock absorber is worn as the shock absorber does not have any weight bearing mechanism. That job is left to the springs. The shock only provides resistance to movement both out and in. It is easiest to check them by removing an end or the entire shock and see if you can move the rod by hand. If you can it is shot. These are probably very stiff shocks for a 13,000 pound truck and moving a freshly charged shock by hand would be difficult.

My front end shimmies at 48-50 mph. Thinking shocks since my toe is correct and my tires are 50 psi.

YMMV

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shocks are old, like they are on most Deuces, I wouldn't even worry about testing them. I would replace them with new shocks. I wouldn't use NOS shocks as these have likely been sitting on a shelf someplace for years. If you put new ones on, then you know what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks