• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shop that rebuilds mulitifuel injector pump

welldigger

I have been flooded with inquiries as to what shop rebuilt my Ambac injector pump for my LDT465-1D. As far as I'm aware they can rebuild any injector pump they can get parts for except Caterpillar. Sorry A3 guys.

They also rebuild injectors, turbo chargers, and magnetos. They GUARANTEE their work which is a huge plus in my opinion. They quoted me between $600-$1200 depending on what is wrong with the pump. Mine came in just shy of $800. These prices are for reference only. I make no promises as to what they will quote you.

The shops name and phone number is: Vaughan and Bush 318-222-8432. Ask to speak to Gary Bush. They are located in Shreveport LA.

welldigger

No, its going to be a week or 2 before I can get everything back together. Waiting on some gaskets from White Owl and my schedule will only allow a few hours of work on the deuce for the next week or 2.

welldigger

I appreciate it. It will probably be 2 weeks before I try and get it done. Ill probably pull the rad this sunday but since I'm going to be out of town Saturday I won't be able to work on it.

Jeepsinker

I don't know if it's a two person job or not, but that's why I offer to help, because I know you don't have much time to work on it. So if my assistance helps you get it back on the road a day sooner that's great. If you don't need help my feelings won't be hurt at all. I'm sure you get the idea.

ATPTac

That's good to know. I'm curious if there is anywhere local to me that rebuilds them... If not I might send mine off to them down the road to have it rebuilt. No known problems with it as of now, but I'm all about preventative maintenance, especially on a component that more or less determines if the truck is going to run or not. Do they also rebuild the FDC? And do you have any pictures of your rebuilt injector pump?

ATPTac

Just curious why you had it rebuilt? There are members here selling "new" depot rebuilt pumps for less than you paid.
I think it was for the guarantee that they offer. Versus getting a NOS rebuild, if you get it and there's a problem you're on your own. I see both ends of the spectrum, the ones sold on here are cheaper and the chances of getting a defective one are probably slim. But on the other hand the rebuild is being done by a reputable shop that if he has any issues he has support from them.

welldigger

Just curious why you had it rebuilt? There are members here selling "new" depot rebuilt pumps for less than you paid.
There was several reasons I had it rebuilt. The main issue was engine oil contamination. My booster pump was dumping large amounts of diesel into my engine oil. Also, it was seeping fuel and oil from everywhere. The next big reason was at times my engine would surge. It would go from almost death rattle to wtfo until I blipped the throttle and it would then stabilize. Turns out there was a broken part in the governor assembly. I know it was a pin but which one or what it does specifically I don't know.

As to why I used them versus buying a rebuilt pump, simple, coveinience and the warranty. They are literally 30 min from my house and if I have a problem they will back up their work. Whereas if I buy a rebuilt pump and there is a problem (unlikely I will admit) I'm pretty much on my own and back to square one.

One other thing to consider. Though there are members selling pumps for great prices the surplus dealers and parts venders want considerably more than I paid plus they want your core. Meaning more shipping costs.

Last edited:

welldigger

That's good to know. I'm curious if there is anywhere local to me that rebuilds them... If not I might send mine off to them down the road to have it rebuilt. No known problems with it as of now, but I'm all about preventative maintenance, especially on a component that more or less determines if the truck is going to run or not. Do they also rebuild the FDC? And do you have any pictures of your rebuilt injector pump?
I wouldn't be surprised if most good diesel injector pump shops could rebuild these pumps. There is literally nothing special about them contrary to popular belief. Though the shop I used was actually pretty familiar with this pump since they used to get them fairly frequently from Fort Polk and Barksdale AFB. As far as them rebuilding the FDC the answer is yes. If you send your pump in it will be all or nothing. It will be fully inspected and rebuilt. Followed by a full recalibration.

I will post a picture of it tomorrow but it lliteally is just an IP with a fresh coat of paint.

If you are looking for a shop find a dedicated IP and injector shop. Not a generic diesel shop.

Last edited:

ATPTac

Hmm, this has me intrigued. My FDC is bypassed right now, which I know isn't a huge deal as far as using alternative fuels. But I have a thing about everything working correctly and as intended on anything I own. So getting all that done in one swoop would make me a happy camper. I'll have to weigh out my options between getting it rebuilt or getting a new one. My truck has a relatively high idle that goes away if you blip the throttle but slowly comes back, this is getting me thinking I might have to get it rebuilt/replaced sooner than later.

welldigger

Hmm, this has me intrigued. My FDC is bypassed right now, which I know isn't a huge deal as far as using alternative fuels. But I have a thing about everything working correctly and as intended on anything I own. So getting all that done in one swoop would make me a happy camper. I'll have to weigh out my options between getting it rebuilt or getting a new one. My truck has a relatively high idle that goes away if you blip the throttle but slowly comes back, this is getting me thinking I might have to get it rebuilt/replaced sooner than later.
I am honestly not familiar enough with these pumps to give you a definate answer to your problem. But it couldn't hurt to call them or your shop of choice and get a quote. You will need to give them your engine make and model number, such as, Hercules ldt465-1d. You will also need to give them all of the numbers off of tbe HH data plate and the pump data plate. This will tell them what pump they are working with and how to calibrate it.

welldigger

Ok, I understand- you mentioned some good points I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the info!
Not a problem at all. If someone prefers to just buy a rebuilt pump thats a good route to take. The intent of this thread is to give more options and let people know there are shops possibly local to them that can repair these pumps. Sometimes it can be cheaper. Other times it may not be. They did tell me since my HH was good that saved me a huge chunk of money. They cannot rebuild the HH. Only replace it. Ambac used to rebuild them but I don't believe that is the case anymore.

nmwildman013

Central Motive Power here in Albuquerque rebuilt three for me. One was $450 and the most expensive was about $1100. Incidently they did tell me that running garbage fuel through them cuts their life expectancy considerably. Not starting a discussion on fuels - that's just what they told me. I stick to diesel only now.

welldigger

Central Motive Power here in Albuquerque rebuilt three for me. One was $450 and the most expensive was about $1100. Incidently they did tell me that running garbage fuel through them cuts their life expectancy considerably. Not starting a discussion on fuels - that's just what they told me. I stick to diesel only now.
Good to know there is another shop. It would be nice if as people find shops they could post them in this thread. I have no affilliation to the shop I used other than they are local to me. I merely posted to inform others.

As far as alternative fuels go, I'm not a fan. Too much trouble and money to do the correct way. If done incorrectly the fine particles will destroy a HH. Not to mention all of the other problems associated with alt. fuels.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I disagree. I have saved myself lots of money running alt fuels and complete IPs are selling for $600-800. Its simple economics for me.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
shop that rebuilds multifuel injector pump

For what it's worth, I spoke briefly with an outfit named Jefferson Diesel [504) 340-5162] in the New Orleans area [across the river in Harvey]...trying to identify someone local to work on Westerbeke/Perkins injectors. In the course of the discussion I asked if they worked on IPs. He asked what I had and told him about the deuce. He said that he had rebuilt those in the past. Turned out later that the fellow rehabbing my Westerbeke sent the injectors to JD for cleaning/calibrating/etc., and that, not surprisingly, it ran better after the re-work. I called around and they seem to have a good reputation.

Last edited:

welldigger

For what it's worth, I spoke briefly with an outfit named Jefferson Diesel [504) 340-5162] in the New Orleans area [across the river in Harvey]...trying to identify someone local to work on Westerbeke/Perkins injectors. In the course of the discussion I asked if they worked on IPs. He asked what I had and told him about the deuce. He said that he had rebuilt those in the past. Turned out later that the fellow rehabbing my Westerbeke sent the injectors to JD for cleaning/calibrating/etc., and that, not surprisingly, it ran better after the re-work. I called around and they seem to have a good reputation.
Good to see theres another shop who has seen these pumps.

On a totally unrelated note, there seems to be a lot of deuce owners in the general New Orleans area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks