• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short in Horn system and request for help windshield washer pump

Mike_Kendall

Hello, I have been troubleshooting the horn system on my M1009 and would like to share the solutions today. I also would like to ask for assistance on the windshield washer pump.
1) The horn relay was functioning with a clicking noise but there was constant 12VDC at the horn wire. Someone probably got upset in a hurry because the wire had been ripped off the horn and the plastic grill had been torn away at the drivers side probably due to haste in removal to get to the wire and stop the horn. I think they should have just pulled the horn fuse.
After about an hours trouble shooting I discovered some tape wrapped arround the horn circuit breaker. I removed the gummed up tape and saw a diode mounted to the back of the relay socket. It is a 1N4001 diode from the looks of it. I cut it out and viola! it was completely shorted. Horn 12V is now functioning. I soldered the wire back in place. The horn was also non-functioning. After pulling the tiny bolt that adjusts the horn tone some break-free type oil was put inside and it began to loosen up and work while connected to a battery charger. After a bit of that it works like it was new and the entire horn system is now functional. I'm guessing these vehicles are EMP hardened and the diode must be there to short out any voltage built accross the coil of the relay but that is just a guess. I'm not planning on going through a nuclear holocaust soon so the diode will not be replaced and vehicle will be more reliable. I'm guessing this is a problem for alot of M1009's.
2) I need help with my windshield washer pump. The windshield washer pump is not working but the wipers are functional. I was told that they freeze up and can be dis-assembled and cleaned out to get the pumps to work. Anyone done this before?? Please reply with advise if so.
3) I had a previous post concerning alarm install for disabling the ignition. Turns out the alarm installer said it is standard GM color coding on it and it was a breeze. I also installed a sensor for the tailgate, the hood, and the back roll up window.
Mike

Last edited:

CA_LEO

I tried cleaning the pump out with my washer pump, but it did not do anything. I ended up buying a universal pump and mounting it in between the reservoir and wiper assembly. Here is a link to the one I purchased. LMC Truck also has this universal one.

Armada

Can you hear the pump cycling? If so, pull the pick up tube in the reservoir and clean the end of it. The fine screen will get plugged with dust, fuzz, etc., and prevent the flow of fluid. I've found this to be the case on more than a couple cucv's.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I have been troubleshooting the horn system on my M1009 and would like to share the solutions today. I also would like to ask for assistance on the windshield washer pump.
1) The horn relay was functioning with a clicking noise but there was constant 12VDC at the horn wire. Someone probably got upset in a hurry because the wire had been ripped off the horn and the plastic grill had been torn away at the drivers side probably due to haste in removal to get to the wire and stop the horn. I think they should have just pulled the horn fuse.
After about an hours trouble shooting I discovered some tape wrapped arround the horn circuit breaker. I removed the gummed up tape and saw a diode mounted to the back of the relay socket. It is a 1N4001 diode from the looks of it. I cut it out and viola! it was completely shorted. Horn 12V is now functioning. I soldered the wire back in place. The horn was also non-functioning. After pulling the tiny bolt that adjusts the horn tone some break-free type oil was put inside and it began to loosen up and work while connected to a battery charger. After a bit of that it works like it was new and the entire horn system is now functional. I'm guessing these vehicles are EMP hardened and the diode must be there to short out any voltage built accross the coil of the relay but that is just a guess. I'm not planning on going through a nuclear holocaust soon so the diode will not be replaced and vehicle will be more reliable. I'm guessing this is a problem for alot of M1009's.
2) I need help with my windshield washer pump. The windshield washer pump is not working but the wipers are functional. I was told that they freeze up and can be dis-assembled and cleaned out to get the pumps to work. Anyone done this before?? Please reply with advise if so.
3) I had a previous post concerning alarm install for disabling the ignition. Turns out the alarm installer said it is standard GM color coding on it and it was a breeze. I also installed a sensor for the tailgate, the hood, and the back roll up window.
Mike
I found all the parts at Advance Auto Parts in stock wiper pump rebuild kit around $6.00 & wiper & pump assy Under $100.00.
When geting parts there make shur to order 1984 Chevy & GMC K30 Pickup or K5 Blazer
I hope this help.

Mike_Kendall

OK, troubleshooting the windshield washer pump again today. The darn sap keeps on getting into the wiper blades from the tree above. I washed out the whole thing with a hose. The wiper motor now has become weak and gets stuck unless there is water on the windshield. The pump is making a clicking noise. There is not any thing stuck in the filter in the reservoir.
I went to Pep Boys , they no longer sell a generic wiper motor and can only order the motor without the integrated washer pump. The washer pump now barely squirts out a tiny amount when it makes a loud clicking sound.
I think I'll go to a junk yard tomorrow where I know there are a couple of Blazers and pickups. I'm hoping to get a good and very strong wiper motor that I can replace with. Also, I'm hoping for a seperate washer pump that can actually get the job done from a vehicle. Not sure on the wiring to the wiper motor and washer pump but will continue to T/S it. Thanks to all for the replies. Different subject, my 24V 9,000 pound superwinch arrived today. I will be working over the next week on a custom mount that can move from front to back. I have a 10 dollar furniture dolly to move it inside at night time. I improved the bracing on my rear pintle hook assy. by removing the square tube and replacing it with a wider solid metal stock piece and grade 8 bolts. I then took a Harbor Freight reciever, cut out the chain connection brackets and welded/bolted to the bottom of the existing pintle hook.
Mike

Mike_Kendall

Hello all, update. After striking out at Pep Boys I went to Pick-and-pull today. Got an exact replacement out of a pickup and it works like a champ for both the windshield wiper and the washer pump. Thanks to all for the awesome answers.
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks