• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

short trip, MV and commo prosletyzing

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well does a 30 mile road trip count? So I had to get a deuce driving fix.. And, today is Ham Radio "field day"..

I drove from dallas to Irving TX and joined in with the Irving ARC (http://www.irvingarc.org/) in erecting antennas, operating radios, and logging contacts from all over the USA.

To transmit, I chose the 14MHz HF ham band and added 5 more 3-ft MS-116A sections to the 9FT bumper-mounted whip for a total of about 25FT including the antenna base section which is about 1FT tall. The antenna would not support itself, so we leaned it over so the tip was up in a tree. With this very questionable antenna setup and a 100 watt SSB and CW modes on an ICOM IC706, we made contacts as far away as Ohio.

The second air conditioner (the one I made from parts) worked great, and really sucked the moisture out of the air, and quickly took up the slack after the shelter door was opened repeatedly in the 90 degree muggy heat. It worked well enough that we were able to use the 250CFM blower to keep frech air coming through the interior. This is important because the onboard generator could produce fumes. Never did smell any exhaust, but better safe than sorry.

This is the first time the onboard generator set was put to use without being watched, and for more than 30 minutes. It worked fairly well. It made a hum and vibration, but no more than the added air conditioner which itself is quite noisy. With 2 air conditioners and all the radio gear, the load was about 2860 watts (1210 on one side of the 220 and 1650 on the other side). After some time, the voltage decreased to 218V and the frequency decreased to 58.5Hz. This I attribute to it being hot, but still the speed should not have changed since on this kind of small 6KW unit, the speed affects the voltage. So I blame the engine and will have to take it up with the maker, Gillette Generator. Further, there seems to be an oil leak where the engine attaches to the generator. It is very minor but I expected no oil leaks on a new generator, if you know what I mean.

The four 92AH AGM batteries (flux capacitor in the other thread) and power supply system in the shelter worked perfectly supplying 13.65VDC and 27.3VDC to the radios. I made only one contact on 6M FM using the RT524, sort of disappointing. -but the HF was much better.

I discovered I had a nail in an inside rear tire, and had to deal with that unpleasantness.

During the day, the IARC provided cold cuts for sandwiches for lunch, and for dinner there was hamburgers, squash caserrole, cole slaw, beand, and pasta.

So that was from about 9AM to 8 PM. Well, it being 9PM when after stowing everything I got out of there, I stopped at a drive-through beer-barn/gas&diesel station to fill up the truck. Probably a bad choice.. after filling, I tried to exit, and all I could see was a bunch of drunks in hoopdie cars streaming into the parking lot at 20MPH against my direction. It was almost amusing as they scattered before me as I did all of 5MPH towards the exit. Who lets these ignunt people out at night?

All done, the truck attracted many vititors to the park, and I used the chance to interest them in MV colllecting as well has ham radio. It was really alot of fun.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that 30 miles counts :driver: . You talked to someone in Ohio, form Texas :shock: ??!! Thats like 1200 miles, 1/3 the way across our nation!

rmgill

Hey opcom, how about a modified trailer with an antenna mast on it? you could lower 4 jacks, drive a ground spike, raise the mast and run your wires up the mast for multiple antennas. Or you could sling one off the side of the commo shelter if you can get the telescoping tube type.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Sounds like a good time! I'd love to see more pictures of the commo shelter that I think I see through the trees on your truck. And as long as you need one more post, anyway... ;)

Edited to add: Hey, I'm at 49 posts... I need one more, too! :mrgreen:

Edited again to add: Ok, it occured to me to see if you link to a web page. Duh! I'm perusing the Bunker of Doom now.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Ryan, I like the idea of a trailer, because I could put the large generator, antenna mast, and even the ATV on it, but all this is too much for an M105 and anything bigger might be more than one person could handle.

I have two 25FT commercial telescoping masts that can be mouned to the side fo the truck bed, and two 40FT military guyed masts. The telescoping ones are used for smallish lightweight high-band VHF and UHF antennas because I do not guy those masts. The 40FT ones have three sets of four guys and can be erected in 4FT increments up to 40FT, and a dipole can be strung between them. But the city park was small and they would not allow anyone to set up vehicles on the grass, so I just parked it and made do.

Ideally, i'd like to combine the genset trailer, ATV trailer (M105), and room for a tall mast somehow. If I had a trailer about 4FT longer than the M105, I could see taking the genset (probably about 1000 LBS) out of its trailer, and the ATV, and and putting them all in one trailer -still having enough room for a telescoping mast or lightweight tower. Maybe a lighting trailer tower component would be good. About the genset trailer, I have since added a really good mufflr and stabilizing jacks. Anyway, in the case of a longer trailer, I'd prefer the bed closer to the ground as well, but with no less than 12" clearance under the axle so as to match the deuce clearance. Prefer a pintle ring also because of the articulation provided. So, what military trailer if any might have a lower bed, be just as wide, and 3-4Ft longer than an M105?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks