• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shorten m35a steering shaft

beaubeau

Hey,Arkrhino, . You have just touched on what I have been thinking of doin!! If U study the Steering shaft on a Deuce, it can easily be shortened aboyt 8 inches with ease. just cut the Housing , shaft, weld shaft, then housing!!You can also cut and weld on a Tilt Steering Collum!!I'm going for Power Steering first!! Phil

m35a2cowner

Steering wheel

Is there a steering wheel that the outer rim sits lower (closer to the dash) than the center? Might look a bit funny but might be easier. I don't know if you could take a standard wheel and figure out bend it backward a bit. Just a thought.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess you meant 8cm, not 8 inches????
Just shortening the column & shaft is good for long arms but if you want more leg/knee/belly- room you must also raise the bracket mounted to the dash.
Best to do while converting to PS since the second bracket at the firewall allows for optimum steering column angle adjustment.
Avoid welding the shaft! Determine the correct length, cut and have it splined to fit the yoke for the upper U- or CV joint against the firewall.

G.

goldneagle

I remember someone mentioning the last time I asked about shortening the steering column that it might be easier to replace the spring ride seat with the older bench seat to get more clearance. We also discussed reducing the thickness of the back cushion to make more room in the front for belly and legs... I was thinking of a thin sheet metal seat back with memory foam in front of it. What do you guys think?

goldneagle

add hyd power steering, smaller wheel closed to dash
Big $$$$ and lots of work solution. How about coming up with a less expensive less technically challenging solution to the problem? Not everyone here has the skills to do a power steering conversion just to make a little more belly room.. :|

jatonka

I have a shortened steering column/gear box assembly for sale. It is 3" shorter than stock. But, there is work involved to get your gear box out and the new one in. John Tennis

beaubeau

Hey goldeneagle! Another way to gain room with out too much is to find a Steering Collum from a late model TT. I have usrd some from an International. Many TTS have Tilt Wheel today, so U should be able to find something in a salvage yardU can bolt this to yourDash, and can adjust it to where U want it on the Dash. I am 6' 4" and it is tight! I used to drive MV in the Military in 1968, but I was smaller and younger! TOO! Good luck Phil PS, I'll check on other Possibilities.

goldneagle

But, there is work involved to get your gear box out and the new one in. John Tennis
John, is there a way to just swap out the steering column without having to remove the steering box? :|

For me modifying and just replacing require two different levels of skill. It's easier to remove a part and replace it with an identical part...like replacing a alternator.

I saw some picture of someone on SS installing a power steering unit. It required cutting into the frame and doing some serious welding and modifications. That is no task for someone who is not an "expert" like some of you.

I am fairly competent with tools but I know my limitations. I am impressed by the skill levels some of you possess.

beaubeau

Hey guys, I've read of people putting Larger Tires and other Mods on Deuces , and whatever else is done to a vehicle to Improve or make more confortable. How much does one want to spend or how much time does one have!?? There are people on this site that have mare money than brains! Exactly what do U want from UR vehicle and how much money do U want to spend!?? Do U want Power Steering, More leg room, Or Gut Room, " I can cut shorten and weld a steering collum in about 3 hrs", Power windows. Air Conditioning, Am-Fm 8Trac Sterio. Air ride system and a Deuce that goes 75mph? Well lets weigh the facts. Anything can be done! Its what U want and what U can afford.
There are many things that can be done with time, money, and abillity. Oh and how many friends do U have U have that are mechanics, welders, and Engeneers!Look at UR vehicle and What is it intended For?
I am a retired Trucker and a Vet and My Deuces remind me of the Old Days before Power steering, air cond, and 600HP engines and top speeds of 65mph. It makes me appreciate what technology and time has done to the Trucking Industry! Take a good look at what U bot and exactly what is it U expect from a vehicle 40 years old!??? Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks