• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shot some CARC today...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man Mike, thatlooks great! Can't wait to see it up close and personal! Gonna have it road ready by 2nd June, 2007? SCMVCC has been asked by Irwindale Speedway to come out and play again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wow, that looks good................

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
Man Mike, thatlooks great! Can't wait to see it up close and personal! Gonna have it road ready by 2nd June, 2007? SCMVCC has been asked by Irwindale Speedway to come out and play again.
My timeline is to have it road running by June 1 but not completed until July 1. I think I'm gonna have to pass on Irwindale. I'm getting so close now I don't want to stray from course.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shot more CARC today

Shot more CARC today. I'm on a mission to finish the truck by July 4th.
Some parts came out great but I'm still plagued with Blisters. I am posting some blister pics at the end...I sure could use some more help. The windshield frame blistered last weekend so I sanded all the way down and primered...no Jasco just to see it is the acid giving me problems. I also painted my hood which has not had any Jasco and it still blistered a bit. Interesting that the hood blistered right where I primered. Maybe I'm not letting the primer dry enough or is the water based CARC hating rustoleum primer?????

I really hate re-re-re-stipping and painting. I also noticed old blistering on the truck where I haven't painted. It looks like Uncle Sam is having the same issues. HELP!!!!! I also painted the cab first thing this morning while it was still cool but it still blistered.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Shot more CARC today

You don't have anything diesel running in the area do you? Are you starting the truck for any reason?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The truck is not in running condition and I am not aware of any fuel around. I primered the day before on that windshield frame and I don't even have a neighbor w/in 5 acres.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is your air source dry(and cool)? I wonder if these blisters might have something to do with moisture in your air.

Westech

CPL

That looks to be water blisters if I have ever seen one. I have painted my fair share or CRC and have only had that happen when water gets under the paint.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the blistering thing down pat!!!

I have figured out by trial and error what has been causing the blistering of the type II water based CARC...

Rustoleum primer is NOT happy working with this CARC.

I ran test samples of multiple variables and it turns out that if you use Rustoleum primer you must let it dry at least 2 weeks...that's 14 days. If not, it can blister. I also found that the rustoleum primer with the CARC did not inhibit rust. I found areas already rusting.
I ran base line tests, using the same material, with and without JASCO, rustoleum, Kleen Strip and tested every few days. This is how I calculated the time variable.

So here is what I did to solve the problem.
I switched to Kleen Strip rust converter. It dried very fast to a hard surface and the CARC stuck to it like glue. I tested several areas with very good success. I also applied the rust converter to the areas that had rustoleum and CARC and it arrested the rust immediately.

A final note on blistering, although it is recommended to apply heavier coats (per the application instructions) this can also lead to blistering but of a different type. This type of blister dries fast and can easily be sanded. The "rustoleum not liking CARC" blisters do not dry and are gummy even after a week in the sun. Apply lighter coats and let them dry all the way before applying more.

Now, just before anyone flames me please remember this is only MY TWO CENTS!!!!!

Here are some pics to your viewing pleasure...i'll be putting her back together next weekend.

Attachments

Cdub

Looks like a real professional job.........!!

Just one thing I was thinking was that.........

Are you using a very good AIR DRIER for your air line and
bleeding off the water in the compressor prior to painting........????

A good pre paint cleaner sold at the Auto Body supplies stores is a
wax and grease remover used over bare metal, bondo, paint, ect. prior
to any spraying.

a conflict of solvents doesn't give that type of blister......it usually results
in a wrinkling type of affect (lifting of under laments of prior material).

grease on the part if painted over will create a FISH EYE effect not the case here.

C'dub

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'dub,
I have a good dryer to remove moisture. I wiped down prior to paint with denatured alcohol. I was told by some service folks that this is what they did prior to painting CARC.

Steelandcanvas,
The gauge labels are from Rick Larsen.

yonder

This project is turning out very sharp. I can't wait to see the finished truck. Very inspiring, and your observations on the blister issue are going to be very helpful to others I'm sure.

Re: I got the blistering thing down pat!!!

bigmike said:
Rustoleum primer is NOT happy working with this CARC.
Mike, I kinda figured you had paint compatibility problems. Especially when you said it was still gummy after 2 weeks.

This project is looking exceptional and you can tell that your patience and persistence is paying off. Congrats on a major undertaking. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks