• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should a MEP003 run a 5ton ECU on the heat side?

TroyHog

Hey guys - was wondering if anyone has had any experience running the heat side of a 5ton unit with a genset? It indicates 100% loaded - I let it run for about 10 minutes and the genset turned itself off.

On the AC side it is only running 50% loaded. I am looking for the technical manual now just thought you guys would know off the top of the old noggin.

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you answered your own question. Maybe you can disconnect a heat strip or two to get the load down to 9 kW.

Triple Jim

How did it turn itself off? If overloaded, I'd expect something like the main breaker to trip, or the engine to slow down and not be able to maintain 60 Hz, for example.

robertsears1

I have three FDECU-5s. I have been having trouble running mine on my MEP-004a or my -003a. I can run all of them in the maintenance mode where you can turn on components one at a time until I try to run the compressor, then most of the time my 004a will show a short or the 003a will kick off the breaker. I can run everything including both heat strips except the compressor with my 003a and it loads it down great, good way to exercise it. I even ran both heat strips off my -002a pulling 19.3 amps on my clamp on meter to exercise it. PaulbusMax has said that he can run his -5 with his 003a. I am still trying to troubleshoot mine because once in a while the compressor will run as it should. I have even bought three capacitors for the compressor without any change. I believe if you have a -2 or -3, you may need to run the fan for 30 minutes so the comp heaters time in.

Robert

Last edited:

TroyHog

I am puzzled why the genset just shuts off? It is moving the rod which I believe controls the fuel right before it shuts down, but it just dies. Seems strange, like the guys above stated it seems like it would trip a breaker if anything. Any ideas?

Poccur

Depends on the 5-ton ECU..

If you are only pulling 50% of your available 10kW in cool mode then your 5 ton is not working or the gauge is not accurate. A 5ton mil ECU in cool mode should be in the 8kW range (plus or minus a little) depending on ambient.

Going back to the heat question, what is the model of the ECU? Then we can work out what the strip heat (kW) is and if it is too much for the unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks