• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should a new fuel pump sound like a food processer?

crazyplowboy

I just put a new fuel pump in my truck this evening, and when I turned the switch to see if it was working I heard a sound like a food processer chopping up a pine tree coming from the fuel tank. It makes a grinding sound , but every once in a while the grinding sound will go away and it will be a pleasent hum for a few seconds, then the loudness returns. It seems to have mellowed out a little as it has ran but still makes a grinding sound. have you guys ever heard of this?

crazyplowboy

I'm trying to bleed the air from the system, I did a filter change on new years eve which led me to find out that my pump was dead. Got a new pump put it in and thats where I am now. The pump is flowing fuel pretty well. I took the screw out of the top of the pump access panel and it flowed like crazy. I ran the pump for probibly 1-2 minutes total, but the sound just makes me nervous.

crazyplowboy

I just took it out again and looked it over well. The bottom plate that covers the impeller was not seated fully in the recess, so I pressed it in and tightened up the screw. Then I noticed that the hose was too long and was pushing down on the pump outlet causing the pumping section to be pushed away from the motor. I shortened up the hose and thigtened up the 4 screws holding the bottom section to the motor. I tried the motor out of the tank and it worked perfectly (no terrible noise) so I put it back in the tank and it started making noise again.

crazyplowboy

With the bottom plate off I can move the impeller up and down probibly .100 in. should there be that much play in it? I noticed when I hooked it to power I could see the impeller drop down and hit the bottom plate for a second at start up and shutdown, during this time the pump made the sound. It's about ten degrees here right now so maybe the fuel is thickened up enough that the magnets are not strong enough to spin the impeller allowing it to drop down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks