• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should anyone be curious about those 7k lb 4 post lifts

dmc-4359

...and their ability to pick up an M1009, I'm happy to let you know that they can.

barely, hehe

Finally got around to fixing the DeLorean so I could fit the Blazer on the lift and replace the flexplate. Mine cracked, and started making a god awful rocks in the bellhousing type sound when it would run. At first it began making some racket on occasion just in reverse (and that was instantly/correctly diagnosed by the characters here) then one day it started doing it full time and I was glad to have made it home that day judging from how quickly it got louder.

Anyway, so I snapped a few pics for those interested:

I'll have some more after I pull the transmission/transfer case bits out of the way.

edit - also, the overhang on the front tires is 3" for the passenger side and 2" for the driver side. 33X12.5X15's all around.

Last edited:

HardCorps79

Where did you find the pretty blue M1009? Is that your work?

Shouldn't be surprised at the lifts, though. The TM lists the curb weight for the 09 as 5200lbs with an added payload capacity of 1200lbs for a GVWR of 6400lbs. Pushing the limit, but still good, of course.

I was holding out for a 3-ton floor jack (normally around $100), and finally said THWI and got the GM one for 2 1/2 tons at a liquidator for $30. Figure I'm only lifting about half the weight to get it onto the jack stands.

Of course, after rolling around on the trolley cart tonight under the thing I'm jealous of your lift.

dmc-4359

Nah, it looked like that when I got it. My work is limited to mechanical/electrical details so far. I do plan to fix the rust spots and redo the paint/bondo work where needed. I don't mind ugly though, so it may be a while (grin).

From the front:

I wasn't a fan of the cowl induction hood at first, but it has grown on me.

HardCorps79

From the front:

What kind of tires are those? I am fairly fond of the Wrangler ATs I have but after my muddin' fiasco (see my avatar) I have thought of going with MTs. Unfortunately I can't justify them since 98% of my driving is on-road.

I, too, bought the M1009 as a sort of beater, but I keep getting ideas about fixing rust spots, undercoating, repainting, bed-lining, etc. This forum is bad for me (or at least my wallet)...:twisted:

pevrs114

Nice truck!

I see you have deuce shackles on the front... if you're interested, I'll trade you a set of CUCV shackles straight up if you think they'll fit in a flat rate box!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You didn't mention your '55 is a convertible!

Is that your personal shop? You should post some pics on the mega shops thread...... (if you can't find it let me know).

dmc-4359

pevrs114, I appreciate the offer but I'm not willing to make any unnecessary adjustments at this time. What I have works for the most part and I'm trying to create as little extra work as possible, hehe.

clinto, That one wasn't originally, it is now a nonconverting convertible. That particular car is the first real car I ever owned. It is a 55 Four Door sedan. Years ago, when I discovered how much cancer really was on the body, I decided to make it into something more fitting to my tastes and cut the roof off. About that time I went to 4.88's and a 4spd with a mild 350 plant. It was a riot. I started redoing the whole car and bought the Two door that has taken my focus from the Four Door.

That is my personal garage. I busted ass from about the time I was 18 to save up enough money and build enough credit to be able to purchase this place from my father. Took four years to do it but it was worth it. I only keep four mobiles in the shop at a time as it is only 1200sf right now. There is a 40 ft I beam next to it that will support an additional 400sf as well as net me a trolley for body removals and such. Likely I will expand the ground floor as well, but not anytime soon.

---- back on topic ----

So this evening was productive, it looks like I will be able to swap out the entire flexplate without removing the transmission or even the rear drive shaft. I have already loosened all the flexplate bolts and took some pictures so you guys could see how mangled it was and what kind of clearance is available should you find yourself performing a similar chore. Basically, every wire, bolt, cotter pin that was attached to the cross member, transmission, or transfer case was removed including the front drive shaft. Then I just slid the whole show as one piece back about three inches to clear my ratchet. Also, I had to cut the two transmission cooling lines that run up to the radiator. The fittings on the transmission were just rounding off and I couldn't get a good grip. Since they weren't leaking themselves, I just cut the tubing and spliced in a bit of rubber hose to allow room to work. I intend to replace them when I put in a trans cooler anyway. I'll likely just cut the metal tubing back closer to the transmission, flare it and connect some flexible lines all the way up to the cooler when it goes in.

btw - my exhaust is a custom dual flowmaster setup, I took this picture so you could see how the transfer case just needed to slide back on the yoke. I have no idea if a stock exhaust has this crossover.

as you can see two very big splits are easily noticed around the one section. What you cannot see very easily is that there is an entire concentric split that runs between all of the bolts. When I pull it out, I will take better pictures.

clinto if you're interested here are some pics before I tore the 4dr down:

Last edited:

dmc-4359

Ok, I give up. I've gone up and down the tech manual and I'm stumped. Can anyone give me the torque specifications for the flexplate and torque converter bolts?

or perhaps just make fun of me and send me the page location for said information?

AJMBLAZER

hey hardcorps79 check this out you want good all around tires for daily drive and also to help with occiasional off roading.. these are mil-spec for these MV's and dirt cheap
Military Tires
They aren't milspec for the CUCV's although you can fit them on them. A M1009 is NOT setup to run them with it's axles and highway gears.

Also avoid Alfa Heaven...do a search.

dmc-4359

Finished it up this evening. Probably spent more time wiping the grime off the tools than I did wrenching. For anyone curious, I never did find the torque specifications for the flexplate and tc bolts specific to the th400. I did find elsewhere on the net that the 700r4 flexplate for the 6.2 uses 65 ft/lbs for the flexplate to crankshaft bolts and 50 ft/lbs for the torque converter to flexplate bolts. Those are the values I used, with an appropriate amount of wire brushing and loctite of course.

as an aside;

I realize there are some cats who preach 'cheap insurance' when it comes to replacing these particular bolts. I am not one of these people though I don't necessarily disagree. I check the bolts to see if they have any damage and if not, I clean up the threads and reuse them. I've done this on more than a handful of slush boxes and have no reason to change my ways. Your mileage may vary.

EZFEED

Any pics of your stainless beauty? Dude I have always wanted one since I was a kid, preferably a later model with manual, I will have one someday. There was one in a guys garage here in my parents neighborhood right under my nose and I missed it. Only happened to catch it when he opened his garage door and I saw the bumper sticking out under a pile of junk. It was almost new but needed a little work, all gas cylinders needed to be changed and some engine and minor interior work. Trouble was that I had already bought my 1967 mustang convertible and Model T roadster so that extra spending money was gone. I spoke with the guy and he said he'd let me have it for $8,000 which was pretty good considering it only had 19,000 miles on it, sadly I couldn't swing it:cry: I would have been ahead if I would have got it instead of these two but I guess value wise I did better with these? Either way, if I had known it was there I would have gotten it, I guess it wasn't meant to be, I'm finally wrapping up the resto's on these so I may find one a little later on.

Did you put the turbos on yours?

m38inmaine

Try using a flare nut wrench next time you remove the cooler lines, no more rounded off fittings. If space is tight a crowfoot version is also available.

TM 9-2320-289-34 pages 3-60/6-62 50ftlb/65ftlb
Available right here in the resource section

Why waste cucv forum space talking about civvy cars?-moderator?

Last edited:

dmc-4359

TM 9-2320-289-34 pages 3-60/6-62 50ftlb/65ftlb
Available right here in the resource section

Why waste cucv forum space talking about civvy cars?-moderator?

Thank you for the torque spec, I had assumed that it was fortunate for me that it wasn't a snake. This site in particular seems to organize information in a very non-intuitive manner for me so I find it difficult to put my finger on something when I need it. I figure it must be a feature of military organization schemes and since I am wholely unfamiliar with such protocols, I don't infer very well.

As for wasting space chatting about other cars, I think gear heads do that just because.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks