• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should fan clutch hold when cold?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the normal operation of the 3116 fan clutch? When the engine is cold/off, should it spin freely or be holding?

Thanks!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
With no air in the system the fan clutch should hold. Run the truck cab open then open all the air tank drains. When all the air drains down the fan clutch should engage then when you close the air drains and air builds again it should disengage.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my clutch is failed in the holding position. I can't get it to disengage, even when applying air pressure directly to the port. I had to pry in through the holes to get the bolts aligned, in order to remove it.

freecr

Ok, I’m going to try to answer this but wait until someone confirms it accurate. I’m not a mechanic.

No matter what, to release the clutch you need both air and power.

No power = locked fan
No air = locked fan

If everything is working properly (temp switch, clutch, solenoid):
1) Start truck and air up system. (air is needed to unlock the clutch)
2) Shut off engine. Only run long enough to fill air tanks, do not run until engine is hot as that might complicate things with temp switch. You want a cold engine. (a hot switch locks fan)
3) Turn on power switch (do not start). (solenoid needs power to unlock clutch)
4) Crawl under and see if the fan will turn. If it turns… it will turn with resistance. It will not just spin with a flick.
If it turns, then great, if not, you have a problem. Don’t fix what aint broke. There’s plenty of other things to spend time and money on with these trucks.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the air line off the clutch, and use a blow gun and pressurize the clutch. This will tell you if the clutch works or not. Next pull the temp switch, I read hear it's an open closed elec circuit type. Boil some water and with multi meter leads on the sensor output dunk the sensor probe in the water and see if the switch works. Simple stuff first and then go for the air switch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks