• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should have listened :-)

riderdan

Well, I'll bore you with all the details below, but I made it MOST of the way home from Tennessee to Kansas in my new-to-me M998.

I spent last week looking to beg, borrow, or rent a truck and trailer. It's a personal thing, but I wasn't willing to lie to UHaul. Partly because I figure if the humvee wound up in the road and someone got hurt, they'd have me over a barrel. In any case, I rented a car, drove to Tennessee and picked it up.

The seller was as surprised as you all that I was driving it, and threw in a spare tire. Which was cool, but not what went wrong :)

IMG_3855.jpg

Here's the photo I sent my wife to prove I was spending that time and money picking up a humvee not vacationing with my mistress.

I checked everything pretty carefully, we aired up the tires fully, adjusted the mirrors and all that minor stuff. Fluids were OK, brakes and steering good, everything copacetic when I set out from Tennessee at 5:00pm. Put a hazard triangle on the back, turned on the hazards, and set out for home. It was a little odd being both convoy leader and tail-end charlie at the same time, but off I went, 55mph down I-40.

I made it to Illinois and stopped at a hotel. Next morning I checked everything again and set out. The one problem was that my phone's battery died, but I knew my way back (I-70 to I-35, to KS 60) and I'd been doing OK, so I bought one of those battery recharging packs at a truck stop and trundled off.

After 12 hours of driving, I made it to KC. I was a little nervous, because the rain was pouring down. And a lot of things about humvees in the rain came back to me: like how we used to put rolled-up towels along the bottom of the windshield to catch drips, how you have to drive with your nose pressed to the wheel to see out the 10" hole the defroster clears, and how wide this thing is. It was a lot worse on narrow German and Italian back roads (the Arabs have their roads done by someone else, and the paved ones are all nice and wide) but heck this thing is WIDE.

I stopped for fuel and noticed that the steering was a little stiff in the parking lot. I checked the level and it looked OK, got a tankful and headed out. Now, having experience the joys of driving one of these before, I was checking the gauges frequently. After about 5 minutes on the freeway the temp started to go over 220. I backed off the speed to 50, but it was still climbing. When it had almost hit 240, I pulled off and stopped.

As soon as I stopped, I could hear the overflow tank gurgling and knew it was overheated. I popped the hood and along about then the overflow vented some coolant, so I knew it was seriously too hot. That's when I saw that the serpentine belts had let go. :-(

I didn't think I cooked anything, because I stopped immediately and lost hardly any fluid. But at this point I realized that my phone had died again. Thankfully a couple sheriff's deputies stopped and called a tow truck. So I got towed the last 60 miles. I ALMOST made it, but not quite.

New belts are on the way, and I'm searching the forum for posts on the easiest method replacing them. I might need a set of new tires on the rear (they're a little sketchy) and interior insulation, but I have the truck!

Anyway, below this post you can all reply with "I told you so!"

Last edited:

riderdan

Not one bit of I told you so from this guy:
I bet you had fun even with the bumps!
Yeah, I didn't say it--but it was really fun. Even on road, it's pretty cool to drive. Of course, I'm waiting for some off-road fun to bring back those days of squeezing down narrow paths in Grafenwoehr and chasing camels off the improvised firing range.

I got passed by (I almost said "I passed" but it felt like kids on bikes were going faster) several vets on motorcycles who gave a honk and wave. Which was when I remembered how silly the horn is :) It sounds like it belongs on my daughter's Power Wheels car :) Part of the charm, I suppose.

papakb

Riderdan,

I've had my M996A1 for over 15 years now and have loved every good and bad minute of it but agree completely about the horn! Whoever decided to use a military horn in these things must never have heard one of them. It's the whimpiest, pathetic excuse for a warning device ever! I eventually installed a Whelen electronic air horn out of a police car because with the exception of the CTIS compressor, there's no good place to mount one.

Welcome to a world of fun (and expensive headaches),

Kurt

snowtrac nome

glad to see that im not the only one who has a wife that thinks I running around with more than trucks and dogs. glad you had a good trip, there is nothing more I would love to do than drive my newly acquired lmtv up the alcan. it costs the same to barge it out of seattle as it does out of Alaska and a road trip like that would likely remove 2 years of usage from my tires. maybe some day when I'm ready for a toy I might look into a m998 variant.

Awol

That's badass! Road trips are fun, even when things go wrong. It gives you time to get acquainted with your new truck.

Even though you didn't make it, I'd call it a success!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Glad you made it back in one piece. I lost an alt belt on a 1009 recovery from Ft Riley still had the water pump so kept driving and ended up making the 2 hours home. I was living right as the other belts broke when I hit the driveway!

Jericho

Congrats! We have all been there and done that, last one I brought home was a short haul, 40 miles , truck driver said if he could drive it off, the haul was FREE, let him drive it! (so , when are you getting another?)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the OD Iron Addiction. I hope you know that MVs get very lonely. Sooner than you realize, you'll discover another green machine occupying space in your driveway. Make sure the next one is for your wife so she has claim to her own. (I learned this one early on in my addiction :cookoo::cookoo:.)

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Go on, admit it, You really enjoyed the experience, and have something to tell your, friends, kids, relations and all un-sundry. Well done, the effort was well worth it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I didn't say it--but it was really fun. Even on road, it's pretty cool to drive. Of course, I'm waiting for some off-road fun to bring back those days of squeezing down narrow paths in Grafenwoehr and chasing camels off the improvised firing range.

I got passed by (I almost said "I passed" but it felt like kids on bikes were going faster) several vets on motorcycles who gave a honk and wave. Which was when I remembered how silly the horn is :) It sounds like it belongs on my daughter's Power Wheels car :) Part of the charm, I suppose.

The horn is is a tactical horn...the idea is that you can't be heard for miles around.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the horn on the dang LMTV sounds like a Volkswagen beetle lol. Your recovery sounds a little less painful then mine.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Riderdan, did you pick that one up at S&S Truck Wash is Cookeville? I stopped there a few weeks ago and sat in that truck if so. It was a pretty nice one. Had the pioneer tool rack in the rear if I recall.

Congrats on the recovery. It is always a success to be able to drive one home. I did that with an LMTV last year from Alabama. I was really glad to make it home without incident.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think about it as an adventure, it's all trial and error while having fun. At least you will know your Humvee inside and out by the time you figure everything out.
Then when a gauge goes crazy or a weird sounds comes up, you will crack a smile and know exactly what to look for.
It's the Humvee experience.

springbok

Happy that you made it back in one piece.
This statement "Here's the photo I sent my wife to prove I was spending that time and money picking up a humvee not vacationing with --->my<--- mistress."
A, A, AAAAA mistress not MY LOL.. When I read that I figured you had one but just were not with her THIS time..
Busted HAHAHAHA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks