• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I build another MRAP? Need your advice/criticism, please.

Alredneck

Banned
As for adding ballistic protection,

Look into polycarbonate panels, like they use for 7-11 store windows or some banks. Good stuff but you have to get it thick, still not cheap but better prices than some quality steels and also saves a bunch of weight over steel.

Also you may look into ballistic fiberglass panels, still not super cheap but better cost than plain kevlar fabrics. Molding around corners will be a pain but hey it is what it is.

To truely armor that thing that was created would be way cheaper than a uparmored humvee. Lots of long straight body panels. Humvees have a slew of cuts and bends that need to be made and pillars filled. Also modern Humvee armor is a mix of plates of steel, aluminum, and im not telling. Look at the latest models being produce with all Cat 5 or greater mine protection kits installed plus spacers and add on for EFP ( explosive formed projectile ) defense. The laminated ballistic glass on the Humvee is probably the toughest stuff on it, I have personally seen it defeat small EFP arrays. I have also seen M1 tanks turned into 70ton paperweights from being hit by larger EFPs and platter charges!

Remember there is nothing bullet proof or explosive proof, they are resistant! Find the materials you can live with for your budget and level of protection you are looking for.

rwbrown72

Hey Captain.... (Alredneck for those that don't know) when are you bringing that 820 to my neighbor? You remember where Mt. Vernon is, right? Got any room on the truck? Maybe you could swing out to California and pick up that "restored" deuce for me! LOL

Alredneck

Banned
I am bringing the M820 up this weekend, I will actually be out in Cali the first 2 weeks of Sept, my Dad and I are doing a roadtrip out there and around to UT and NE to pick up some stuff I have bought for the Company over the last few months. I believe I should have enough room for a deuce. PM me some details and I will get back with ya. I got some 16s for Wade's M820, we been discussing pros / cons but he has come up with a great idea to lift the van body a few inches so the tires fit better in the rear! Should look sick!:shock:

Ridgerunner

I just read this thread for the very first time, today (all eleven pages. And all I can say is “Wow, what a disappointment.” Not about this guys fake MRAP build, but the members here on SS that are complete hypocrites and acting like catty, little jr. high school girls. Why poo-poo on someone's build.

Are you mad because it’s a fake and not really mine resistant? I don’t hear too many news stories about people driving over land mines here in the U.S. So that point is moot about the non armor plating. Or are you annoyed because it’s a fake “want-to-be” looking MRAP truck? (hypocrite point) Maybe we should jump on the guys here that have built, or want to build a “want-to-be Gun truck”. The home built Gun trucks are just that...fake and not the real thing either. I don’t have a problem with either of them. It’s not like you can just go out and and buy an MRAP or a Gun truck, so someone has to make a fake. One more point, all the bobbed Deuces are just fake XM381’s also.

Or are you bent because he built the truck to sell? He never once mentioned that it was going up on ebay, until others brought it up. (hypocrite point) There are dozens and dozens of members here that have buit trucks, just for the sole purpose to sell them after being built to make a profit. Just as an example, look at the two heavy hitters here on SS that do this (CC EQUIPMENT and 100 DOLLAR MAN ) Between just the two of them, how many trucks have they built here on SS, to turn around and sell for profit? I’ll bet 50 to 60 trucks. That’s a lot of trucks. They both even have their own web sites, dedicated just for selling modified military trucks. Why don’t all the butt hurt members here that have posted, have there torches and pitchforks out when others are blatantly starting a thread, and building a truck just to sell? Oh yes that’s right....double standards

Now don’t get me wrong, the fake MRAP thing is not for me. But even so, I do like to see what others have built. You never know what small idea, detail or improvement that they did to an MV that would work out perfect on your own truck.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He asked the question. He got his answers. The fake MRAP is a long way from a replica Vietnam era gun truck. built with the same materials as used in country. At least those trucks actually existed in military use.. The truck in question was never used by the military in that form. I would hate for the average person to look at that thing and think that is what our military is using.

Now the fact that he built is fine with me. It is a great looking movie prop.

eldgenb

what the heck ever happened to everyone just doing this for fun, I too build trucks and sell them for a profit but that is the result of me doing this just for fun. I think people get too caught up in themselves on this, and most other forums who think they are elitists and have nothing new or positive to add. I feel bad for the OP instead of everyone critiquing his build they tried to tear down his character, very disappointing.

tamangel

:???: I think the whole problem was that the OP didn't originally post the thread in the "Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding " forum.. WADR, Curious how many of the folks in the stock deuce forum could actually survive a real close look at their rigs..

Car Show Judging Form

again, no disrespect meant, just curious..

Mike W

exbrown

I just read this thread for the very first time, today (all eleven pages. And all I can say is “Wow, what a disappointment.”

I am with you on that. He said he built it as a movie/TV show prop. If his customers were happy, that is all that matters. Selling the truck afterwards is just part of the business. All he asked is help on should he build another and any suggestions.

Whether to build another or not should have been answered by the response on eBay, since that is how he chose to sell it.

Suggestions on a different build is no different than someone asking for suggestions on one of the Zombie campers, and they get a very favorable response. (I have a M185A3 that I am plannin on making into a surf fising truck to take to the beach, and have already bobbed a Deuce.)

I am the admin on several forums, and it seems to be standard behavior for some people to take offense at others. This is a well run forum with lots of great people and loads of information, but the discussions often turn a little mean for some reason. Luckily most of the people on here are helpful to a fault. Even some of the ones that tend to jump down a few throats end up with good suggestions and advise. I think we may tend to take this a little too serious sometimes.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All he asked is help on should he build another and any suggestions.

Whether to build another or not should have been answered by the response on eBay, since that is how he chose to sell it.
I'm sure he got the info he needed, I know he stated he got some good ideas even from the bitchy posts.

As he is running a business, I would imagine the decision to build another would be based on any profit he would generate. I'm sure he made money on that one as the studio paid for it first, but a complete build from start to sale might not be a profitable venture.

I have no issue with what he did, not sure it is 100% for me, but I didn't buy it.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the creativity of being able to build that truck. It might not be for everyone, but I like it just on being able to take on the challenge. I really hope to see another one in a 5 ton version.
If only I had the skills and the finances to build a truck like one of those trainers. You can't say it isn't being used by the military.
Steve, thumbs up for being able to take the criticism in good character. If we ever meet I'll buy you a cold one.:beer:
Daniel

Attachments

CanonNinja

Here are a couple of the 5-ton MRAP trainers from Ft Irwin when I was instructing out there last year. They are based on 939-series trucks.
I have painted out a few pieces of equipment on them before posting, sorry. Those would make no difference to what you are doing anyway. :)
For those who might be concerned, most of the electronic gear on the roof in the pictures is Miles gear, it is not sensitive.

The interior is somewhat similar to what you have built, heavy square tubing frame with metal on the outside (actually, so is my V100). In the case of these vehicles, the skin steel is much thicker.
Since there is gear inside that might be considered sensitive, I won't post pictures of the interior. The troop seats are standard buckets from the Caiman, and are hung from the sides.
There is A/C, but it is still hot, stuffy and dusty in there!

Note at the rear the hull is shorter than the frame, allowing the large hinged ladder to be attached.

You asked for comments on your project, so here are mine, meant as positive critique-
The air conditioner vents on the front and sides look like that, a/c vents, same for the outlet covers. I'm guessing they are 'texture'?
Using standard US military clearance lights and reflectors would add authenticity.
On the front grill, perhaps use fewer, but heavier, slats.

For what its worth, I actually like the slab sided look of the front on yours.

Cheers

PS- you can't really read it in the pictures, but the lettering over the center window on each side of the passenger compartment reads "For training use only".

late to the party here, but i wanna build one of those :driver:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had the pleasure of visiting scyros35's shop to purchase some used NDT tires/wheels, and I must say WOW! What a first-class setup! I also got to look at Steve's trucks, and these are all first-class jobs.

If I was in the market for an MRAP replica, I gotta say, I'd definitely purchase one from Steve. Great attention to detail, and best of all, he stands behind his products. Steve & Garret are awesome to deal with! Steve & Garret bent over backwards for me, even having all of their employees drop what they were doing to load my trailer with the used tires/wheels.

If you ever have the pleasure of doing business or any dealings with Steve and Garret, you won't be disappointed.

Kloakndagr

I’m touched by your concern, thank you! But you should spend a little time looking at the Requirements for Manufacturers of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Items that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration publishes.

First and foremost, modifying or restoring a vehicle does not mean you are a manufacturing a vehicle or classified as a manufacturer. If it did, everyone who chopped a hot rod, modified a motorcycle, souped up a muscle car, built a homemade camper for their pick up truck or made improvements for their M35A2 would be considered a manufacturer and the list of manufacturers would number in the millions.

Second, the NHTSA does not actually issue type approval certifications for actual manufacturers and does not certify any motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment as complying with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Instead, in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30115, a “self-certification” process is in place, which requires the manufacturer to certify the vehicle or equipment item as complying with the applicable FMVSS. The NHTSA just issues the safety requirements and guidelines that must be implemented if you are a manufacturer.

Third, the definition of a motor vehicle manufacturer is in its simplest form, a company or individual that manufactures an operational motor vehicle from raw materials and creates a VIN for it. This truck, and the 400+ trucks a year we modify and restore, most of them for the Department of Defense, are not altered significantly enough to be classified as a new vehicle requiring the issue of a new Vehicle Identification Number. If it did, everyone out there who modified or repurposed an existing vehicle would need to be reclassified as a manufacturer of new vehicles.

And lastly, vehicles such as race cars, dirt bikes, or all-terrain vehicles that are not primarily manufactured for on-road use do not qualify as motor vehicles and are therefore not regulated by NHTSA. Instead, such vehicles are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). So someone is giving you bad information.

With regard to a non-compliant paint operation, again I suggest that you check your facts. We spent over $200,000 constructing and certifying one of the largest spray booths in California – a 7,000 square foot free standing building. Whether you are building a small freestanding booth or an entire building, the requirements are the same.

1) Paint booths should be positioned at least 20 feet from other combustible materials; they should also have approved sprinkler equipment as well as being built according to the construction standards required by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OHSA).

2) Paint booths must be constructed with masonry or supported and secured steel or concrete. Aluminum is also considered as an acceptable material for small jobs. The booths should also be designed for convenient and easy cleaning so harmful gases are blown in the direction of the exhaust. OSHA standards document additional guidelines for paint booths.

And,

3) Air exhaust should not be recirculated and should be directed away from the booth's air intakes. Paint booths should be fitted with an electrical ventilation system to rid them of poisonous gases. Each part of the ventilation system must comply with OSHA standards.

Not only do we comply, but I have current certifications from our local AQMD and our Fire Marshall on hand if you ever want to come inspect them.

Even though we only use the new Water Based Base Coats (legally required in California as of June 1, 2008) which meet the emissions regulations of California’s two largest air quality management districts, I would never jeopardize my employee’s health never mind my own for the sake of profit.

Sorry for the lecture, but we have legal counsel on staff and I don’t take chances when working for DoD.
good response!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks