• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy a M1009?

Duke Nukem

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver that I can work on myself. Budget is around $5k-6k. I need a 2 door full size SUV. My previous two vehicles were an '89 S-10 Blazer, which I liked although I thought it was too small for me, and an '89 Bronco, which made me realize that it would be my first and last Ford. So, a K5 Blazer makes the most sense for me at the moment, since I'm already familiar with GM trucks of that era. Now I'm deciding between a military or civilian K5. It seems that the military version would be the better choice for me. I've never owned a diesel before, but can't imagine it would be too difficult to get used to, and the 6.2L engine and TH400 are both known for reliability.

Can I reasonably expect to find one for that price free of rot and mechanical problems, that's had most of its commonly expected problems already sorted out?

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
would advise to read any threads pertaining to the electrical system, its not rocket science but it does have some differences so if you plan to take it to a garage for any related repairs be ready. In particular read 'doghead relay" threads and "glow plug 12v conversion" threads . Some guys hate em, I love mine, put a couple thousand miles a year on it, upgraded to 6.5 after crank shaft exploded. Good luck and welcome to the forum there are a lot of great guys here very knowledgeable and some half crazy. Check out the upcoming events and attend an event in your area and you will be addicted to BIG GREEN IRON (or tan). see ya micro

Assel

Well I drive my M1009 almost daylie now, but I´ve been through it aswell (needed a whole new brake system, all fluids & filters changed etc.) ... my advice is: if you can afford it get a "beater" for the time you need to get used to your military K5, and buy from someone who has done some stuff already.

But be aware, you will get addicted to "green iron" :mrgreen: I own my CUCV for nearly 2 years and have never taken it to a "shop"... I think you can do anything on these trucks by yourself, if you take some time to read/watch videos/browse this site ...and if you have some money to spend on tools (if you dont have them yet) :grd:

Duke Nukem

If you're looking for a reliable daily driver, you really need to buy one someone else has already gone through.
My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't dream of getting one at government auction and guaranteeing tons of expensive issues that I'm not prepared for financially or skillwise. I did most of my own work on my S-10 Blazer (got it for free with 173k miles and finally gave up on it at 285k miles, so problems got more frequent toward the end), with the guidance of a mechanic friend who unfortunately has died since then, but I learned a lot in the process. Part of the appeal of a military vehicle is that the repair manuals are written for military guys who might not have much previous experience or training, so they should be easy enough for me to follow. And of course if and when I have one, I'm sure I'll be a regular here trying to figure out what I'm doing.

I have most of the tools I'd need other than perhaps a few specialty tools.

So is my budget realistic? Something that's already been restored to reliable daily driver condition for under $6k? If so, I'll have to start

Duke Nukem

I haven't seen many for sale in my area. Occasionally, one will be on craigslist but they're few and far between, and not usually in decent condition. Buying one located a good distance away is an option as well if I can expect it to be in good enough condition to drive home, but then I'll have the problem of finding a reliable mechanic to inspect it for me before I agree to buy it.

kkcshipp

I bought mine off Govdeals.com from a local police department and they'd purchased it from Ft Knox. I'm in mine for about what your budget is but I must warn you about the addiction. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

KansasBobcat

I think the upper end of your budget is realistic,at least in my area. Be prepared to spend a few thousand more on tires, paint, brakes, hoses, belts, fluids, etc It really does add up. There will probably be some ongoing rust repair issues and you can save if you can do those yourself. I have put much more in my M1009 than I planned but it has been a learning experience. Do the Doghead relay immediately! Good luck

nyvram

Any good places to search for one that's already been fixed up, other than craigslist and the classifieds on this forum?
1. be patient
2. be flexible (m1008 or m1009) with regards to tan/od/camo paint jobs..read the paint threads on here. you can change the color fairly easy.
3. search tempest is your friend
4. keep an eye on search tempest for 'fresh meat' constantly..you will definitely have people post them up for cheap..not realizing what they have..but on the same token, people will notice within a couple of days likely and snap them up so you have to be prepared to move fast. Try keywords "cucv", "M1009" and "M1008" and after you're familiar with the current sales around, set your filter for 'last 3 days' or something so you will quickly see anything new from multiple craigslists.
5. you probably wont find one COMPLETELY free of problems..so do your homework ahead of time so you can be ready when one appears.
6. a standard uhaul vehicle trailer worked for us; we towed one about 175 miles without problems

we picked one up for $2300 but here in the southeast you've got a better chance of getting one than NY/NJ area where the # of savvy buyers keeps the prices inflated. don't be afraid to drive a little distance to pick one up.

there are at least 2 or 3 in the classifieds here i would seriously consider if we hadn't already gotten one so keep any eye out here as well. you wont find a 'fire sale' but you'll likely end up with a vehicle that has been properly maintained by a forum member who is familiar with keeping one running so its less of a gamble than craigslist.

Last edited:

Duke Nukem

I'm not picky about color, but I am inflexible about the type of vehicle, because a single cab pickup with a top speed of 55 mph simply doesn't suit my needs the way an SUV does. I don't have a car at the moment, so renting one plus a trailer to tow it seems like it'd be much more costly than simply buying a plane/bus ticket and driving it home. I wouldn't really mind flying across the country but then I'd have a few hundred less to spend on it with fuel and travel costs. Good call on search tempest, I've forgotten that it even existed, I'll check it regularly.

Duke Nukem

One more question - if I find one that looks promising, what have people done here in the past as far as getting a pre-purchase inspection when the vehicle might be hundreds or thousands of miles away?