• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy this M37?

WCRiot

Hi guys,
I read through the forums from time to time b/c I absolutely fell in love with these trucks a year ago. I am NOT ex military/currently serving like most of you seem to be. But, I am a antique car/truck fanatic.

I almost bought a 50's Dodge Powerwagon used by the Forest Ranger services three years ago. But, the guy wanted too much money and I wasn't ready for a project at that time.

Right now, I currently have a 1954 Chevrolet car that I am restoring. This is a big project for me and will probably take several years.

But, In bordem at work. I was searching for a Military car/truck in case there was a good deal and I think I found one. Now, before i say anything else. This is NOT a truck for the purist.

The guy that bought it does not know too much about it. From what he says, some of the gauges in the cab work. Some have been replaced. He says there is only "surface" rust, but I've heard that one before.

He has modified the truck to be a little bit more practical. The Modifications are: a Chevy 350 engine with some performance hop ups. Probably pushing 350hp. The transmission was changed to some heavy duty off road transmission commonly used in Rock Crawlers. I think first geart is a 7.33 ratio and 4th gear is 1.00

He had some wheels modified to work with commerical tires. He has the original wheels and tires and will throw them in with the truck.

He has done quite a bit of practical maintenance to the truck and only driven it about 20hrs since hes done all the work.

What would you say this is worth? Knowing my situation with my other project car, do u think that this truck would be a decent driver? I won't daily drive it, but I do want to use it as a work truck and have some style.

I will slowly start bringing it back to original in terms of interior and exterior. But, I like the engine. I'm not thrilled about the transmission, cause I dont plan on going off roading. The wheels and tires are ugly, but practical

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I agree with tankersdad. But you can get a stock M37 for probably alot less and bring it back ot running shape real easy but if you wanted the 350 then id go for it! , Jay

WCRiot

Guys,
Thanks for all your feedback. I didn't think this forum moved so quickly.rofl

The guy is asking $3,500, its an hour drive from me. And he claims it runs and drives great. So I'm so very tempted.
Wolf's comments concerned me about the axles. Are the axles on these trucks really a weak point?

I'm okay driving the truck in its current form as long as its reliable. Cosmetics will come later. I just know how rare these trucks are especially a rust free truck, I'd hate to miss an oppourtunity to own one.

ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION: The current owner said, he thinks the truck was originally paint yellow. What does that mean in terms of the type of truck it is?

dcbrown

You might want to watch Ebay. There are always M37s on there, in various states - from pretty rough, to frame-off restorations that are factory new condition. You'll see some very clean M37s, for a little more than you'd pay for this one. I understand that location is everything, but they surface every day, and with a little patience, you'll find a nice one close by. Just a thought.

bubba_got_you

axles will be fine as long as you don't drive like a nut. but yes they are the weakest link on this truck but that's just the shafts that are week. as for the yellow...well that just meant it was a brush truck.

Last edited:

Sgt Hulka

Depends on a lot of things... Conversions of anything tend to be problematic (remember the Jaguars with 350 Chevys in the 70s?). But if it's a real sanitary job, professionally done, it could be a fun toy for the non-purist. The running gear, if it's original, cannot be abused by that V-8. If it seems sanitary, and you seem quite competent, and you're not a purist, and it really isn't rusty, and it's a great price... why not?

WCRiot

The first day I can, I'm going to go out there and take a look at it.
I think it is important to check out the modifiations which have been made to this truck. Some people hack stuff together and others don't...

So looking at the big picture. Compared to other M37's you have seen for sale. Is this price considered a good deal?

WarrenD

If the frame, body and suspension (including axles and t-case) are in good condition, you can usually find an engine/tranny combo for not too much money. One good thing about these is that parts are still around. I has likely been converted to 12V for the 350, so that would be a restoration point and the brakes may have been "upgraded" as well. For a rust-free body/chassis the price isn't bad for your location, but I think it is a bit high for other areas of the country. If the engine swap has been hacked or if it's been abused crawling rocks, forget it.

Nickathome

I am not a purist by any means, however I cringe when I hear about M37's that have had V-8's dropped in, tranny's swapped out, etc. To me M37's were meant to be driven with an original type of flathead engine, and running gear. If some wingnut modified it without knowing what he was doing, you could be in for a whole lot of trouble and headaches. I personally would walk away from that truck, but that's just me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say go for it if the price is right. I'm not big on people doing engine swaps on historic vehicles, but since this one has already had it done, might as well give it a caring home. The 350ci engine will definitely add some power and speed for normal use, and if you clean it up and repaint it, it will be a great sleeper. Looks the part, but has more power to back up your daily driver and user routine.

If you get it, put some more detailed pics up so we can give you some pointers.

WCRiot

It's funny how there are so many mized emotions on the board. I knew the purist weren't going to like the engine swap, so I was prepared for that.

This truck is in deed on a 12volt system. I believe this is why the current owner replaced some of the gauges.

Thanks for the great advice though guys. Your giving me more and more things to look at when I inspect this truck. Definitely some great ideas

bubba_got_you

The first day I can, I'm going to go out there and take a look at it.
I think it is important to check out the modifiations which have been made to this truck. Some people hack stuff together and others don't...

So looking at the big picture. Compared to other M37's you have seen for sale. Is this price considered a good deal?
yes i would say so. there looks to be NO rust, the custom rims alone will run you 800-1000 bucks, the orignal rims are there too, and from the looks of things it looks to be a good job on modification (but pix can hide stuff). so ya i would go for it

bubba_got_you

I wouldn't buy it, what are you buying? I t will never be a military M37 again it will now always be a bastard truck.
[FONT=&quot]If a motor swap makes a truck a worthless bastard then I would rather have a worthless basterd I can use than a trailer queen that sits in a shop with no dignity[/FONT]:driver:[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

Attachments

WarrenD

I wouldn't buy it, what are you buying? I t will never be a military M37 again it will now always be a bastard truck.
Well, never is a very long time. I've seen some amazing restorations over the years, and this one looks to be in far better shape for a M37 than many other folks have started with. The worst case I can think of for this vehicle is that the frame has been damaged beyond repair. Even then, the body and bed look decent enough to find their way to a new chassis. It really depends on what the OP wants. I've seen small diesels put in M37's and non-original rims and tires seem common.

DonFDNY

I have a 1952 M37 with 57K miles on it. The previous owner used it as a daily driver for over 30 years.
I have gone over the truck completely over the course of two years and she is a great example of an Army truck of that time. I don't even like what Foose does to his cars, although beautifully done it is no longer original it is now some of this and some of that, that's all I mean, not calling you any bad names.
See:

http://nyfd.com/nikon-toys/Pages/11.html

Not a trailer Queen
Don

bubba_got_you

I have a 1952 M37 with 57K miles on it. The previous owner used it as a daily driver for over 30 years.
I have gone over the truck completely over the course of two years and she is a great example of an Army truck of that time. I don't even like what Foose does to his cars, although beautifully done it is no longer original it is now some of this and some of that, that's all I mean, not calling you any bad names.
See:

http://nyfd.com/nikon-toys/Pages/11.html

Not a trailer Queen
Don
looks good to me but the only thing that makes my truck different it the drive Tran so i still have a hard time seeing what makes my truck less military? the military changed the motors in the m35 when they became the m35a2. so whats the difrance? its still a military truck its just not stock is all im saying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks