• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy this MEP 803A

schnackj

I have an opportunity to get a MEP 803A for very cheap but it has some issues and I wanted to see if people with more experience with these had any inclination on this.

it has 8000 hours on the dial, the current owner paid his mechanic to replace the engine and radiator with brand new ones, it ran with the new engine for ~20 hours after which it stopped producing any power and his mechanic cant figure out why.

at 8000 hours on the generator side is it worth taking a look at? the overall condition of the unit looks pretty good. I'm leaning toward getting it as its low risk but I also don't want to end up with a boat anchor or unreliable generator if people unfamiliar with the equipment have been monkeying around with it. I'm pretty good with electrical troubleshooting but if the generator is toast there isn't much I can do or replace.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an opportunity to get a MEP 803A for very cheap but it has some issues and I wanted to see if people with more experience with these had any inclination on this.

it has 8000 hours on the dial, the current owner paid his mechanic to replace the engine and radiator with brand new ones, it ran with the new engine for ~20 hours after which it stopped producing any power and his mechanic cant figure out why.

at 8000 hours on the generator side is it worth taking a look at? the overall condition of the unit looks pretty good. I'm leaning toward getting it as its low risk but I also don't want to end up with a boat anchor or unreliable generator if people unfamiliar with the equipment have been monkeying around with it. I'm pretty good with electrical troubleshooting but if the generator is toast there isn't much I can do or replace.
If you don't know anything about the machine there are plenty of guys to help out on here that are very knowledgeable. That said there is a big learning curve, and they can be somewhat complicated. No one can tell you if you should buy something. Do you have the $ and time? Diesel engines can go forever when properly maintained.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if the engine runs, thats half the battle. The genhead can be repaired if something has gone wrong (or completely removed and replaced). I might have an extra 10K genhead that could ship on a pallet, if the need arose (and new in box units are available, some even on the big auction site).

If the price is right and you have the time and the stomach for a gamble... why not?

Ray70

Agreed. If the price is right and you can work on it yourself, go for it.
You essentially have a new engine and there is a single $10 moving part ( end bearing ) in the gen head itself.
Other than that it's all electronics and pretty easily trouble shot and repaired.
Worst possible case you need a new generator as LITD said. Best possible scenario you have a blown $2 fuse, you won't know till you dig in.
If you pay accordingly in anticipation of the worst case, you really can't go wrong.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, if the price is right for a machine that runs.. Get it.

As rightly stated above it could be a really simple fix on the electrical side. Even if you have to replace the gen head it could still be worth it if you can get the unit for under $1,500.

schnackj

thank you for your replies, I'm leaning toward getting it. worst case seems like a new stator which after reading the manual doesnt look too bad to replace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks