• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I cut U Bolts for upper torque rod replacement????????

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just like the title says. If I cut the U Bolts to change upper torque rods in deuce, how much is a replacement set? Also I remember years back napa having a stubby socket for the top rod nuts. Really not interested in grinding socket to make it fit. Just don't want to regret cutting them off. Thanks for the help.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well so far I think I got lucky. I have the outer U bolt nuts broke loose. Working on inside ones now. Ok got all 4 nuts off ubolt. Now have to get u bolt out. I wanted to post a pic from iPhone, but not sure how.

Last edited:

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was replacing the two upper rods. I didn't have a socket I was willing to grind and modify. I chose to remove the U Bolts on the idler bar that are in the way. I wanted to pass on a trick that worked for me in removing the lowers. I seen people use a log splitting wedge. I did same thing, but put wedge on scissors jack. Cranked it up and splitting wedge put pressure onto lower both ends at same time. Then hammer strike and done. Don't know how to post pic from iPhone. Just helping others with a different method.

Last edited:

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I choose to remove the U Bolts to gain easier access to the upper torque rod nuts. Glad I did. Hidden inside where the U bolt passes through the trunnion area was severely rusted out U Bolts that were close to failure. I wanted to pass on a few types and methods that I used to remove rods and pressing in and out bushings. I have a 20 ton rated press. I stopped by Tractor Supply and purchased a Job Smart 3/4 drive 2 1/4 socket. SKU# 103895699. I used that socket to press out my torque rod bushings. Most were pretty easy. However 2 of them were a little harder. Nothing however that the press I owned could not handle. I applied anti seize to the inside of the torque rods. I went to press in my first bushing, and pressed it in maybe 3/4 way and socket fell off outer ring of bushing into rubber. It seemed that maybe the newer bushings outer metal ring were possibly a little thinner. Either way my socket wasn't going to work. So I came up with this solution. I used the outer ring of the old bushing to press in the new bushing. Perfect fit! Not a surprise. Just had to apply my brain. Just to add to the problems you may encounter like my dumb a@$ did. I started to press in one of the bushings in the wrong direction. Only did it maybe 1/4 inch in. But it was enough to require a press to remove it back out. So I took a second outer ring from old torque rods and cut it. That way I could use it to slide into rod end and push the new bushing out. Cutting it would make it so it would not require pressing it out. Also notice my "helping hands" in photo. It's a board clamped to press with a rope and zip tie holding other end. Here's some pics.IMG_3059.jpgIMG_3093.jpgIMG_3095.jpgIMG_3096.jpgIMG_3128.jpgIMG_3130.jpgIMG_3131.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks