• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I Jump in or Walk away....

tm america

has anyone that is opposed to pinion brakes actually had them on thier truck or is it what a friend of a friend said .just wondering?cuz everyone is saying how they work when they are used as the only way to stop.but that wasnt the question at hand it was simply if they would give you better brakes .i dont think they are good being used in the wrong app i.e. truck with open diffs as the only way to stop the truck .should i take my factory e brake off cuz it to is a pinion brake and wouldnt it cook my transfer case seal?hmm are they not using a from off pinion brakes on them already :roll:

SasquatchSanta

I've got a pinion brake on Rosie.

After a scary encounter on snow-pack I installed a valve in the line so I could shut it off.

A couple of years ago I towed my 18 foot trailer loaded down with a loaded down (packed full of parts) M37 to Midwest Military in Prior Like MN. I also had a lot of parts in the back of Rosie. In all, I grossed out at a little over 27,000. Since it was summer with dry roads I turned on the pinion break so if I needed it I'd have it.

Within 20 miles I turned it back off. With the pinion brake activated when I applied the brakes very hard I got quite a big of drive line chatter. I don't know why it was happening but it wasn't a good thing. The driveline in my truck is solid and tight.

I'm sure Johh Tennis bought it new. Therefore it's still like new. If someone wants one make me an offer.

SasquatchSanta

I can see having a pinion brake as a brake of last resort.

As a brake to use it all the time --- even with the regular brakes? --- NO.

Hook it up to a hand valve on the steering column for an Oh Sh!% Brake? --- YES.

tm america

i was thinkin with an adjustable proportioning valve mounted in the cab and only give it enough to get things how they were before the bigger tires i really only need it when im hauling a heavy load i thought about using another master cyl and i could hook the pedals together like on a tractor

tm america

ya dont think full pressure would work since they would be trying to eliminate the other brakes since they would grab faster than the drum brakes cuz they are using the gear reduction of the rearend to help them out which would load the rearend really hard giving you tire hop i'd be really curious to see how much youlike em with the pressure ran down so the wheel brakes work first then the pinion brakes so they are helping not eliminating the wheel brakes

SasquatchSanta

That's probably not a bad idea.

I also think that a proportioning valve would be a good thing for all bobed deuces. I realize this is a bit off topic but while we are talking about proportioning valves I thought I'd bring it up.

tm america

on your offroad rigs are they your only brake system do you hav spools in those trucks or lockers cuz even lockers give a way for the wheels to go two different speeds and open rearends are even worse

tm america

ya you have to do everything that goes with the mod you are doing its all about the combo.you can say big cams dont work they just dont work with stock torque convertors.you cant say big tires dont work they just dont work with low gear ratios

RangerDave

Hey, any thoughts about adding a 3rd axle to the to give it more stopping power? You know, like the tri axle logging trucks. Its up when unloaded and down when loaded... I'd use the trucks air to push the axle down and make it load sharing, then cut the air to let it return...

Also, are the Deuce and 5 ton backing plates on the brake assemblies interchangeable? meaning the same bolt pattern.... I'm thinking not, but it would be neat to just be able to un-bolt the 2 1/2 ton brakes and bolt on the 5 ton ones.... I can only imaging now that the inner shaft splines no longer work and that the outer hub bolting patterns are all different... It would still be nice to do something like that instead of pulling 3 axles and figuring out the steering linkage issue now created....

I'm sold on the issue of pinion brakes..... I'm not using them, unless it is for an emergency brake when the vehicle is stopped.... that is, if I ever get some, or build my own....

Chevytruck

i would say get a 5 ton

adding another axle to your truck is only going to degrade MPG and performance. and will put a strain on the engine to turn all those wheels. In my opinion, i just don't see why not get a 5 ton and use that right off the bat then completely modify a m36a2.

then you got a m36 and a 5 ton to use

good luck on your quest! :-D

tm america

hey guys why isnt anyone saying jake brake its what the semi's use why not make one for the deuce isnt that the ultimate in braking since it doesnt rely on something that will get hot and fade or wear out faster under load.and the thought of a five being good on gas i dont think so three axles would probably give you better mpg. a five ton that is 6000lbs or more than a deuce and you need a cdl to drive a five ton so there is good and bad with anything

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think with the compression so high in a multi that a jake brake would not be good for the engine. Plus, it would get old using one just for every stop sign or traffic light. Might be nice to have though, if it would work and you were running where you could use it. (it is illegal to use in some areas)

If you added a 3rd axle, and put it on air bags so you could raise or lower it, then you would have to either leave it as an idler axle, or disconnect or reconnect the driveshaft everytime you raised or lowered it. Unless you found some kind of disconnect to install between the diffs. You wouldn't want those tires just a'spinning when your unloaded and have them raised in the air.

I would look at getting a 5-ton, or if the amount of work required to move your loader over = the amount of work to swap axles, then I would still get a 5-ton, because you would get a much better engine for what your doing.
2cents

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks