• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should i put a Detroit locker in the front end?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you plan to use your truck?

welldigger

Be careful putting a detroit locker in the front axle. When it engages it can snatch the steering wheel right out of your hands. I'm not saying don't do it. Just be aware of the possibilities.

Westech

CPL
Don't bother with the front. If you have locked the rear axles and you get stuck a front locker won't help you much.
Also with a locker you are really going to strain the front axle joints and could stress them to the failing point, they are not large enough to handle the power all on one joint.
Locking the front on such a large truck is not advisable

Mercunimog404

Banned
Don't bother with the front. If you have locked the rear axles and you get stuck a front locker won't help you much.
Also with a locker you are really going to strain the front axle joints and could stress them to the failing point, they are not large enough to handle the power all on one joint.
Locking the front on such a large truck is not advisable
With all due respect, that's not true. A front locker added after a rear is just as much night and day difference as going from open rear to locked rear.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just worry about the joints on a front rockwell in a full size truck. Perhaps Steve6x6x6 could shed some light on if our concern if unfounded.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are they that weak?
No, I'm not saying that. But I don't think the front axle would fair well to repeated abuse where a single front wheel/axle was pulling the weight of the vehicle out. I don't think you'd put a locker in and then go out and break it right away. I just would think that the front axle u-joints would become the weak link then. (And a ball and claw setup probably would fair worse) Again, this is just my thoughts/speculation if this is a full on "off road" truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinions here. The Norway trucks had air lockers in all 3 axles. They abuse the trucks pretty well and my contact there has never reported axle failures. With that said, they don't run 395s. As far as drivability, with no power going to the front axle, the Detroit will be all but invisible. Engage AWD and the game changes. Now I'll invent a word for my next statement. You can get stucker with a locker than you can without. On a deuce, one needs to consider ground pressure. GP is exponentially higher on the front than it is on the rear. If you can balance this a little better, you would have a better off road truck. Weight aft the rear axles will help balance this some and going to a wider tire on the front helps as well. One of the better tire combos, albeit not huge, is the 1100x20 rears with the 14.5x20 on the front. If I were building a trail deuce I would scrap the front winch and put a 5 ton winch as far back on the rear as I could get it.

chigger

I run front & rear lockers in a Deuce that is converted to 4x4 but stock length. I run 53 inch tires and full hydro steering. I can't say if you will have steering problems as I can't notice any with my steering. I've forgotten to unlock my hubs before and driven quite a ways on the street and never noticed a difference. The lockers will allow for different tire speeds as long as they are unloaded. If you have the air shift transfer case then just turn the lever to the OUT position and your front axle will remain unloaded.

The lockers will remain locked when loaded and will put a bunch of stress on your axle shafts. I have broken both the front and rear axle shafts before using lockers. I broke a front axle shaft while off roading. I broke a rear one just by taking a sharp turn on pavement in low range and on the throttle. The interesting thing is that when you break an axle shaft, the non-broken side will still work and pull fine. In fact, I drove around for a week on a broken rear axle before I got around to replacing the axle shaft. When I broke the front, I was still able to off-road with one side not pulling. If, however, you break a u-joint in the front you will want to have the locking hubs to unlock to get you home.

w3azel

Without power steering I would really have to go with no on the front locker. I drove the truck once without power steering after installing lockers front and rear. It was a total nightmare. The steering wheel will snap out of your hands when you apply gas especially when shifting. I got the truck home and immidiatly started on installing my power steering. After that was done the truck is a dream and I love it. A locker is great in the front because the back is so light in these trucks. Especially if you decide to bob it.

rustystud

I would only put in an "air-locker" not a Detroit locker. This way you will not break axles if you forget to unlock your front hubs. Also you will not have to buy front hub locks anyway.

chigger

I would only put in an "air-locker" not a Detroit locker. This way you will not break axles if you forget to unlock your front hubs. Also you will not have to buy front hub locks anyway.
If one forgets to turn the air off to the transfer case, how are they going to remember to disengage the air locker? With the added stress of a locker, there is a good chance to break axle shafts and u-joints. Without hub locks, there is no way to drive the truck with a broken u-joint. With the cost of a single air locker, I can buy a Detroit locker and locking hubs.