• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should I remove/bypass the GP resistor with Wellman 070s?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading comprehension and writing skills are a must when using written language to communicate.

Perhaps the OP should have just read all the other well written threads covering this in great detail (and that have been moderated well enough to ensure they are correct and useful).

Attachments

Skinny

It has been stated, that is not exactly how it works. In 24v configuration, the resistor draws extra amperage in order to drop the system voltage which is pulled from both batteries. In 12v configuration, only the GP's draw amperage from the first battery. The draw on the first battery is probably very close in both 12v and 24v configurations, it is the second battery that is no longer do anything after the bypass mod.

The numbers are probably not exact but pretty close. According to Ohm's Law, the resistor bank would have to draw as much current as the entire GP system in order to drop the 24 volts in half to 12 volts.

If you understand this or not, it really makes no difference. You should be retaining the 24v resistor system if you plan on being jumped by a NATO cable sometime in the near future or bypassing the resistor in 12v configuration if you want to eliminate any GP circuit potential issues. The rest is just boring details...

Vhyle

May I suggest that you check the voltage potential between that diamond shaped connector and ground to validate that there is a 12 volt potential?

If we are talking about the same connector, it is supposed to feed 12 volts to a considerable number of items. Check the image in this post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...g-By-Pass-Help&p=948468&viewfull=1#post948468

The connector I believe you are referring to is labeled "12V bus".

I would be a tad concerned if you were seeing 24 volts off of that connector.

Please report back what you find.
That's the one, the 12v bus. I measured it - between that connector and engine ground, I'm getting 12.5v.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the mod, mostly because one of the gp was busted off in the head when I got the truck. So I was always with 7 max GPs. I figured they would start burning out, so I bypassed the 24v part of the GP circuit to make them run on 12v.

One day I'll need to get that thing out somehow.

Vhyle

I did the mod, mostly because one of the gp was busted off in the head when I got the truck. So I was always with 7 max GPs. I figured they would start burning out, so I bypassed the 24v part of the GP circuit to make them run on 12v.

One day I'll need to get that thing out somehow.
I know I have at least one bad GP on the passenger side. Every morning it blows smoke out that side on a cold start, and it skips a bit for a few seconds. So I need to do this bypass like yesterday. Tomorrow I'm doing it, among other things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks