• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I?

rickf

You can have Uhaul install your hitch or you can buy a class 3 like I did that mounts to the existing frame holes and bolt it on yourself. pretty much a no brainer. U haul car trailers have surge brakes so you do not need an electrical brake controller (I just rented one from them) and they do have an inline 4pin connector that will plug directly into the 09 harness where your 12 pin military plugs in Quick connect p/n 118312. If this link works and you need it all I spec'd it out for you.
U-Haul Moving & Storage of Westside Jacksonville: Trailer hitches

If you click on the link you will need to reselect the hd hitch
and the quick connect harness for a more accurate quote as it somehow reset when I copied and pasted.
Any frame mounted hitch will have to be slightly trimmed to fit around the pintle and tie down brackets. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Rick

Lagers4myhead

Lagers, what service are you in? The govt (Army) shipped my firearms and would have shipped a vehicle if I had needed. Since you're going to Valdez I'm guessing a govt civilian or CG? Army, Navy, AF and Marines PCS are covered under joint travel regulations and I'd think would be similar.

I drove down from Fairbanks when I PCSed last year and had zero issues traveling with two handguns through Canada via the ALCAN. As long as you abide by their laws and file the proper paperwork it can be done with ease. Just do your research and call them if needed.

I just did the math a few days ago to see if I could ship a deuce on the govt's dime if I can get stationed in AK again, but even in it's reduced configuration it's a bit too big. However, a CUCV wouldn't be an issue under joint travel regs. Good luck with you drive, and let us know how it goes.
I am in the Coast Guard and I looked into Canadian laws but it seemed like a fair amount of hassle and it would also add a lot of miles to the drive which I'm not sure my Blazer needs. I could ship my car and everything else but then I would have to fly out there and where is the fun and adventure in that? Of course if I have a major malfunction then I am going to be eating those words...fingers crossed.

epartsman

Any frame mounted hitch will have to be slightly trimmed to fit around the pintle and tie down brackets. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Rick
Mine hangs low and does not interfere with the pintle. I bought mine used and unbolted it from a junk K-5. Fits perfect, no mods.

rickf

The interference on mine was on the frame where the main rails of the hitch met the frame. The support for the tie downs or the pintle support, one or the other, interfered by a little bit so I had to grind off just a little of the side of the hitch mount. My pintle is still mounted. I also built an adapter to use the original trailer plug connector on a civvie trailer.

Rick

saddamsnightmare

March 25th, 2012.

I'd ship the truck from Seattle, but you really do not want to tempt Canadian Customs and police with the firearms, otherwise you will become a cause celebre... It is their country, so be aware of that fact, and the fact you are an American might not carry too much weight if you get cross wind of their laws. Personally, I'd probably sell the guns stateside, as I am pretty certain you can get firearms in Alaska. Also be aware that some states you will be passing through on your trip can be very restrictive, like Illinois. Here you have to have a state issued firearms owner ID card to even own a muzzleloading musket, so don't get pulled over without a FOID card here....:popcorn:

rickf

Lagers, what service are you in? The govt (Army) shipped my firearms and would have shipped a vehicle if I had needed. Since you're going to Valdez I'm guessing a govt civilian or CG? Army, Navy, AF and Marines PCS are covered under joint travel regulations and I'd think would be similar.

I drove down from Fairbanks when I PCSed last year and had zero issues traveling with two handguns through Canada via the ALCAN. As long as you abide by their laws and file the proper paperwork it can be done with ease. Just do your research and call them if needed.

I just did the math a few days ago to see if I could ship a deuce on the govt's dime if I can get stationed in AK again, but even in it's reduced configuration it's a bit too big. However, a CUCV wouldn't be an issue under joint travel regs. Good luck with you drive, and let us know how it goes.
I belong to a couple of camper forums and there are a lot of Canadian members and they will tell you do NOT try to take guns into Canada! Even the law enforcement in the border towns have to turn their guns in to Canadian authorities and get issued guns from Canada for there time there even if they are chasing someone across the border. These people are serious! I would love to see the paperwork you filled out. Hunting rifles are hard enough but handguns are out of the question.

Lagers4myhead

and

So the above is my route that I will be taking to Bellingham Wa. and from there I take the ferry. Should be an interesting trip, I will try and take some photo's. I will have my 99 Honda Civic (green might I add) in tow, so fingers crossed the old girl won't have a heart attack with the distance and weight ;-)

armytruck63

19. Slight right onto Interstate 94 W/​I-94 W (signs for Minneapolis)Passing through North Dakota
Entering Montana
That's one long stretch of road!
843 mi

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lagers- I work on the Alaska Ferries (probably not on the one you will take though!). Anything I can do to help, drop me a PM. We carry a bunch of relocating Service people. the Gumment seems to like getting folks to Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. on the ferry. I have driven it and of course Ferried it. I like both, but with firearms-take the boat! You will end up taking a Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan or Juneau, that is the Southeast Mainline route. Then you will get on the Kennicott for the "Cross-gulf" tip to Seward or Whittier. Then on the Prince William Sound boat to Valdez (or drive through Anchorage to Valdez - but it is a long haul. Come to think of it, the Kennicott may be making a run from Bellingham straight through to the Cross Gulf, once a month, this summer. I will have to check. If so, that is the boat to book on. Try the link to ferryalaska.com for info. Good luck and get ahold of me if the bureaucrats in reservations, etc. start to wear you down! It is a beautiful trip. The only other way I can think of is to go to Alaska Marine Lines in Seattle. They will load your vehicle in a container (or on a flat) and barge it to Alaska. Then you fly from Seattle, but you miss all the glaciers, whales and other good stuff!

Lagers4myhead

Lagers- I work on the Alaska Ferries (probably not on the one you will take though!). Anything I can do to help, drop me a PM. We carry a bunch of relocating Service people. the Gumment seems to like getting folks to Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. on the ferry. I have driven it and of course Ferried it. I like both, but with firearms-take the boat! You will end up taking a Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan or Juneau, that is the Southeast Mainline route. Then you will get on the Kennicott for the "Cross-gulf" tip to Seward or Whittier. Then on the Prince William Sound boat to Valdez (or drive through Anchorage to Valdez - but it is a long haul. Come to think of it, the Kennicott may be making a run from Bellingham straight through to the Cross Gulf, once a month, this summer. I will have to check. If so, that is the boat to book on. Try the link to ferryalaska.com for info. Good luck and get ahold of me if the bureaucrats in reservations, etc. start to wear you down! It is a beautiful trip. The only other way I can think of is to go to Alaska Marine Lines in Seattle. They will load your vehicle in a container (or on a flat) and barge it to Alaska. Then you fly from Seattle, but you miss all the glaciers, whales and other good stuff!
Thanks that's great to know, I will be finding out my ferry info tomorrow...well I hope, that's if the government doesn't throw me any curve balls. If you see a white M-1009 with T-1 on it you will know I am on board.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks