• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should it be mandatory that new owners read the -10 manual before they take delivery??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

papakb

If we all get together and petition Government Planet to make it mandatory that new buyers of HMMWVs have to sign off on having read the TM9-2320-280-10 manual prior to taking delivery of the vehicle? I know this sounds kinda stupid but imaging the questions that WON'T appear here if we do this! Things like how much fluid does xxxx take? What tire pressures do you run? How does the light switch work? What does an Mxxxx weigh?

There's so much information in this simple FREE manual that new and prospective owners of these trucks NEED TO KNOW!

And for those long time owners there's stuff in there for you too.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we all get together and petition Government Planet to make it mandatory that new buyers of HMMWVs have to sign off on having read the TM9-2320-280-10 manual prior to taking delivery of the vehicle? I know this sounds kinda stupid but imaging the questions that WON'T appear here if we do this! Things like how much fluid does xxxx take? What tire pressures do you run? How does the light switch work? What does an Mxxxx weigh?

There's so much information in this simple FREE manual that new and prospective owners of these trucks NEED TO KNOW!

Maybe some people are just looking to chat and connect with others and get opinions from others. The “10” doesn’t recommend what brand of dexron III to use if you want the really pink one. Myself I have almost zero interaction with anyone all day everyday and sometimes I just want to connect. I think everyone should read it but to force it on someone with more rules and bs is not how to get them to do it. What if we vote and pass mandatory rule that if post offends you don’t post. I have been here a few days and believe me you are hurting for posts even dumb ones. Oh I really would like to know what brand of dex3 is the really glowing red/pink stuff. I would also like to know what brand of grease to use and this is after I read the lube portion of the tm.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the military doesn't make their drivers know anything in the manuals.
I remember getting licensed on one when I got to my unit. Was basically a couple questions about whether I knew how to drive or not, then a test drive in an LMTV. They even have me my 5 ton license without anyone to teach me how to turn it on, which I had to figure out on my own (mid 2000's)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Every time I take a dump... out comes the TM's. When I was younger it was that magazine that started with a P... Popular Science. LOL.

I have "leaned in" to the funny that the HumV has the user manuals right there in the glove box...to NO or is it know avail.

I'am on the fence... ah toilet on this one. I get where you're coming from BUTT the DMV doesn't require one to know how a car works. Just go, stop, left, right. I might go as far to say , even a race car driver might not know what's going on under the hood. Drive to win. (generalization so don't flame me)

HumV owners for the most part are driver and pit crew.

What really concerns me is GP doesn't have a sign off on a hold harmless clause... as in:

"This is a surplus vehicle of unknown condition and should bah bah bah... too bad on you" Period

It is ironic that lately the same old questions keep coming up. I feel it points to more and more rigs being sold to a bit younger market that us old fart having walked through time with all the jeeps, M37, mutts, CUCV's. Really, some of those rigs were not made to last but a few weeks / months in battle.

Apples and oranges... HUMVEE expensive $$$. HMMWV look the same so... Auction, CHEAP. Internet sales and BAM... got get me one of those bad ass rides. Now anybody can be an Arnold. Also they DON'T teach auto shop anymore... so here we are. (OK more or less IMO)

I like mine cuz it works good in the desert and I work on it alot to stay out of trouble. That's how I sold it to the boss lady. OK a little ego too. LOL.

I feel for ya brother. I like hanging here with the gang... But I got to say "it takes A LOT of time to decipher many of the posts... many read like a "red herring" to test our wits in a fun way. To tell the truth... I am no expert (yea U knew that) but have seen a lot of stuff. I have had to back away from posting due to the time to double check / research / pull out the prints to help. My middle name isn't GOOGLE.

Got to help oneself with the old HumV in the internet age. Don't get me wrong. Some of this stuff is just plain stick your nose in there and figure it OUT.

Here's the free easy book that didn't come with your truck.

This site is great to kick around problems.

Reads like an old farts rant. Might be the COVID kicking in, CAMO :)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Don’t be silly, that makes to much sense….

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH yes lets add another 6 months until delivery while GP sorts THAT paperwork out! Actually if everyone read, understood and followed the TMs there would be little real need for this forum, and what would become of all the snark snipers?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Every time I take a dump... out comes the TM's. When I was younger it was that magazine that started with a P... Popular Science. LOL.

I have "leaned in" to the funny that the HumV has the user manuals right there in the glove box...to NO or is it know avail.

I'am on the fence... ah toilet on this one. I get where you're coming from BUTT the DMV doesn't require one to know how a car works. Just go, stop, left, right. I might go as far to say , even a race car driver might not know what's going on under the hood. Drive to win. (generalization so don't flame me)

HumV owners for the most part are driver and pit crew.

What really concerns me is GP doesn't have a sign off on a hold harmless clause... as in:

"This is a surplus vehicle of unknown condition and should bah bah bah... too bad on you" Period

It is ironic that lately the same old questions keep coming up. I feel it points to more and more rigs being sold to a bit younger market that us old fart having walked through time with all the jeeps, M37, mutts, CUCV's. Really, some of those rigs were not made to last but a few weeks / months in battle.

Apples and oranges... HUMVEE expensive $$$. HMMWV look the same so... Auction, CHEAP. Internet sales and BAM... got get me one of those bad ass rides. Now anybody can be an Arnold. Also they DON'T teach auto shop anymore... so here we are. (OK more or less IMO)

I like mine cuz it works good in the desert and I work on it alot to stay out of trouble. That's how I sold it to the boss lady. OK a little ego too. LOL.

I feel for ya brother. I like hanging here with the gang... But I got to say "it takes A LOT of time to decipher many of the posts... many read like a "red herring" to test our wits in a fun way. To tell the truth... I am no expert (yea U knew that) but have seen a lot of stuff. I have had to back away from posting due to the time to double check / research / pull out the prints to help. My middle name isn't GOOGLE.

Got to help oneself with the old HumV in the internet age. Don't get me wrong. Some of this stuff is just plain stick your nose in there and figure it OUT.

Here's the free easy book that didn't come with your truck.

This site is great to kick around problems.

Reads like an old farts rant. Might be the COVID kicking in, CAMO :)
Very nicely written Milcommoguy .

There will always be those who want to understand and use "book learning" to figure things out. Then there is the other bunch where things torn into and the book helps put it back together when logic fails. I would be willing to bet that a really high percentage of the owner's manual in regular civilian cars never get opened.

IMO. I seriously doubt GP or anybody else will get any traction on TM's being required reading.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is no requirement for you or anyone else to respond to those questions that are being asked, but can clearly be answered in that manual. You can simply look right past them. But, being a good person and attempting to help others, well that should be a requirement.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been trying to figure them out so it is the #10 ones that have that information in them. OK I will try to open that one up and do some reading.
The #10 books are the "owners manual" more or less.
-20 books are listed as Maintenance Instructions, Unit Maintenance
-24 books are General Support Maintenance, Repair Parts, and Special Tools
-34 books are Maintenance Instructions, Direct Support and General Support

I am sure there are other "dash" numbers, but that is the best I could do quickly. Chances are that there is a TM to TM's that explain what the numbers mean in great detail. My learning (by trial and error) has been that the higher "dash" number, the more technical information provided. (my interpretation)

papakb

JD4044M, The technical manuals are written so the average soldier should be able to keep his HMMWV going. It's important to understand their intended purpose.

The TM9 2320-280-XX manuals are written specifically for the HMMWV series of vehicles

TM9 2320-280-10HR is the hand receipt manual that tells you what items and tools should be issued with each series truck.

TM9 2320-280-10 is your basic drivers handbook. It doesn't cover maintenance but does list the different models, capacities, weights and other information about the different models so the driver will have the basic information he needs to operate them.

The TM9 2320-280-20(V) series are the lower level maintenance manuals that cover how to change out assemblies as well as troubleshooting and flow charts to help diagnose problems.

The TM9 2320-280-34 series gets into more detailed repair work and includes electrical wiring diagrams.

TM9 2320-280-24P manuals are the parts breakdowns at assembly levels.

TM9 2320-280-34P manuals are more detailed parts breakdowns for the assemblies.

MWO series manuals are where you find information on MAINTENANCE WORK ORDERS. These are upgrades to your truck like the airlift bumper or 3 point seatbelts.

There are more detailed manuals out there that get into even more detailed troubleshooting but the -280 series is a good starting place.

BEST YET: They're FREE HERE:

Awol

You should be happy people are coming here and asking questions, even if those questions have been covered 1000 times before.

This place has been pretty dead lately. Having new people come around looking to get involved with the hobby and the people here should be a good thing. I see a lot of people complaining that this hobby is slowly dying, but those same people will shit on new people asking questions.

I'm a part of a lot of car groups. Muscle cars, classic trucks, Military vehicles, Corvettes and JDM cars, and with the exception of the Corvette guys, military vehicle owners can be one of the most stuck up, moody groups around.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You should be happy people are coming here and asking questions, even if those questions have been covered 1000 times before.

This place has been pretty dead lately. Having new people come around looking to get involved with the hobby and the people here should be a good thing. I see a lot of people complaining that this hobby is slowly dying, but those same people will shit on new people asking questions.

I'm a part of a lot of car groups. Muscle cars, classic trucks, Military vehicles, Corvettes and JDM cars, and with the exception of the Corvette guys, military vehicle owners can be one of the most stuck up, moody groups around.
I have to ASSuME that the "dead around here" could be from vacation season. Even though everybody has been on government imposed vacation for about 16 months.

Awol - I think you are right about some folks being "snitty" with new members. We all need to remember how it was when we started owning these trucks.

----

To bring that (you are a dummy for not knowing) into focus:

It is really odd how I kept asking how to remove the bolt that holds the cab bushings to the frame. Wanting to replace that rubber...

Everybody kept saying it is easy. Just use a 1 3/16 socket and an impact wrench to pop them off.

Well, I am here to say that just ain't so!

My M1088 didn't start life with a self-recovery winch. My M1089 did. The M1088 was a breeze to impact off. The M1089 ends up with the nut cut off with a Dremel tool then spread with a chisel (and replace).

AND NOW that both trucks have the winch guide that supports the cab - the next time they need to come off, the Dremel will be involved. With more reading, less than 10% of these LMTVs had the SR Winch on them... Which is why nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.

We DEFINITELY need to offer up help when we can. Everybody isn't as stubborn as I am - and could have thrown their hands up in disgust.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I get where Papa is coming from but we all gotta start somewhere and none of us come out of the box knowing it all....

As far as my .002... All are welcome here (as long as they are not tree hugging dope smoking sandle wearing Democrats)

🤪

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

nope

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how would you go about prove that they have read the -10 any more than they read the auction contract rules or any other type of CYA terms they put in fine print on every single thing these days? Nobody bothers to read anything, they just scroll down, click the little "I Agree" box, and move on.

How would the end purchaser reading the -10 benefit the government or the auction company? Once they sell it, they don't care how much or how little the buyer knows about it; it makes zero difference to the selling agency.

You can't force this stuff down someone's throat and expect them to care.
It's the same as public education (or as I like to refer to it, government enforced babysitting). If you force someone to do something they aren't interested in doing, they won't really care. Either they will do the absolute minimum to get by, or they will fight you. It doesn't matter how much it is in their best interest (in your opinion that is). Until they decide on their own it is in their interest to learn what is in the manuals they just won't care. And to be honest, a lot of what is in the manuals doesn't apply to the civilian world. We don't have motorpools backing us up to throw parts at a truck until it's fixed, or to send it out for full rebuild every 10 years.

While it sounds like a decent idea on the surface, nothing ever gets better by giving the government or anyone else more power over people just because you get tired of the lazy/ignorant refusing to improve themselves.

Damn you are a grouchy old bastard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks