• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should Sidewalls be Wavy on M923A2?

nick3757

So I just got my first military truck today. It's a M923A2 and here are some pictures:
20140217_123414[1].jpg 20140217_123439[1].jpg 20140217_133520[1].jpg

I noticed that in the second picture the tires look like they have stripes on the sidewalls. The sidewalls aren't smooth like a normal pickup truck tire, but they are wavy, and every tire is like this including the spare.

Are the tires supposed to be wavy?

Also, I'm looking for a set of tires right now because as I was driving around the block the drivers front tire blew a hole into itself. It wasn't a major blowout, but every rotation you could hear a puff of air come out of the tire. The CTIS lights kept changed after I started hearing the air come out of the tire. It went from having 1 light in the HWY button flashing to having the run flat light on I believe. I'm going through the TM right now to read more about the CTIS.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to break to do a complete service on the truck and inspect everything while I wait for my SF-97 to go through!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a bunch of tires like that on M939 series trucks, I just thought they came from the factory like that...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Was the front tire flat at the auction yard?

Sounds like it got pinched at some point.
The ctis leaks and the tires sit flat. Sitting flat allows the belts in the tire to break and the tire goes bad. Thats why I stay away from ctis trucks.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sidewalls look that way due to the manner in which they were constructed. All of the Michelin XLs, even brand new ones, look this way.

nick3757

Okay that answers that question. Thanks for the help.

And yes the truck did have the front tires low on the GL lot. All of them are cracked and dry rotted so I think I'm just going to change them all. It's a shame they're rotted because they all have like 26/32" to 27/32" tread left on them.

FlakShrapnel

Unfortunately no mechanical tire balancer I know of designed to handle 14.00x20R size tires. I have noticed the Michelin are more prone for the sidewalls to scallop and to a larger degree compared to Goodyear. I base this idea on 100s of M939 pictures I’ve seen in the last several weeks.

When you take her for a spin you’ll probably notice vibrations as I did. I also noticed my mid axle passenger side had more out-of-round bounce at different speeds, which is where my only scalloped Michelin is located. The 1 of the other 5 Goodyears on the opposite side of the Michelin on the same mid-axle has a slight scalloped sidewall with no signs of unbalances issues.

gimpyroob is correct about the CTIS because the O-rings wears and leak. You can replace the O-rings, but I recommend professional truck tire shop attempt it. 2-piece rims are extremely dangerous if missed handled.

I use 6-ton jack stands for the tires that have slow air leaks. This limits how often I need to crank my MV so the rim doesn’t crush the Tire’s sidewall.

However gimpyrobb turned me onto a Steel Soldier link with another solution called the poor man’s tire balancer, which I originally heard from a local MV owner here at home. Nonetheless for me worth a try until I can find another Goodyear tire in decent shape and replace all CTIS O-rings.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Balance-(How-To)&highlight=antifreeze+balance

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have also seen plenty of those tires blown out. They look like the sidewalks just disintegrate. I have seen those tires with newer manufacture dates and the sidewalks are much less wavy, barely noticeable. If you you have to use them, put them on the back 4 and use newer michelins or good years on the front.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately no mechanical tire balancer I know of designed to handle 14.00x20R size tires. I have noticed the Michelin are more prone for the sidewalls to scallop and to a larger degree compared to Goodyear. I base this idea on 100s of M939 pictures I’ve seen in the last several weeks.

When you take her for a spin you’ll probably notice vibrations as I did. I also noticed my mid axle passenger side had more out-of-round bounce at different speeds, which is where my only scalloped Michelin is located. The 1 of the other 5 Goodyears on the opposite side of the Michelin on the same mid-axle has a slight scalloped sidewall with no signs of unbalances issues.

gimpyroob is correct about the CTIS because the O-rings wears and leak. You can replace the O-rings, but I recommend professional truck tire shop attempt it. 2-piece rims are extremely dangerous if missed handled.

I use 6-ton jack stands for the tires that have slow air leaks. This limits how often I need to crank my MV so the rim doesn’t crush the Tire’s sidewall.

However gimpyrobb turned me onto a Steel Soldier link with another solution called the poor man’s tire balancer, which I originally heard from a local MV owner here at home. Nonetheless for me worth a try until I can find another Goodyear tire in decent shape and replace all CTIS O-rings.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Balance-(How-To)&highlight=antifreeze+balance
These aren't the droids you're looking for. Translation these aren't the split rims you're thinking of. :) Curious why you think they are dangerous?