• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should there be a SE US show??

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think if you wanna tie in with MVPA...we will sink fast. Just my opinion.
Let them come to us....or notaua
We are not a "Trailer Queen" outfit...and I for one won't become one.

I REALLY think we are good as we are:deadhorse:

lildeuce

I just got my first deuce Jan. 2010, I've got insurance, now I'm waiting on my Permanent tag. If I get it in time maybe I'll see some of you guys in Mobile next month as I'm just over the state line in Fl. Hope to see some of you guys/gals there... This summer I'm planning on moving to the Byron, Warner Robins Ga. area...Mobile Al, Fl., or anywhere in Ga. would be good for me... Thanks:driver:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look me up when you move to Warner Robins(you even spelled it right!) can talk a little green iron.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I would like the Huntsville option the best but that's only because it's closest to me.

I've always have wanted to make the GA rally but it seems I'm always busy that time of year (harvest time) and can't get away. I'll make it one of these days.

lildeuce

look me up when you move to Warner Robins(you even spelled it right!) can talk a little green iron.
Cool!!! Sounds good... Yea I was born in Macon and Warner Robins is the first place I remember living (Dixie Trail Trailer park) 3-5 years old. Then we moved to Byron and my mom and dad got divorced when I was 7 and she moved to her home town Pensacola Fl. My dad got killed in a wreck on his way to work when I was 14 and I had to move here with my siblings and mom. Now I'm ready to "come home" back to middle Ga. Sorry to get off subject...And thanks.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I know several folks want to push for Huntsville. While Huntsville is nice and the museum is awesome, it is still a somewhat small museum.

To put this into perspective, Aberdeen HAD 242 outdoor exhibits that included German WWII armor as well as armor and weapons from matchlocks to the most modern weapons. Tough to compete with a large govt owned museum. If you have not been to Aberdeen, you probably are unaware of the displays brought to the show. Equally so is the tours available at the museum that is just a few miles away.

While Huntsville would be a great second choice, I think Columbus or the immediate surroundings would be better.

Mobile is right next to the water and unless we are starting an amphibious capability you limit the geography by 50%. Meaning only folks from the points on the compass from 270' to 90' can come.

The intent will be to have a show that will become the Aberdeen of the South and will most likely surpass Aberdeen. This would be a show for year one. If time and opportunity presents itself for year two, we can look at an off-road component but the intent is to keep the focus on the show.

Anyone have information on potential locations for such an event in Columbus? We should not assume it will be on federal property. That would be a no-go.

Anyone have any contacts within the local county or Columbus city govt to see what permits, approvals and fees we will need to obtain/pay?

As for running an event, should I get bounded and what type of insurance coverage would we need?

Timeline----should we shoot for this spring or should we lay back, take it easy and go for Mar 2012?

If 17-19 March 2011, what other shows will we run up against?

Like Aberdeen, should we run Thur-Saturday? That works good up there.

Anyone with contacts in the scout troops down there to run the food service?

How about Civil Air Patrol to run traffic control and refuse collection?

I think I need to talk to EMR and the folks in MD that put on the Aberdeen show to see what expereice can be gleaned from them.

gunboy1656

I think you would be fine to tie in with the MVPA. Yes they may be mostly be trailer queen trucks, BUT you can offer trail/mud/useful rides to coincide with the show.

That way people could walk around and see the trailer queens, then hop in the back of one for a ride and really learn what it is like.

Chief_919

Here is my .02

Locate it in an already high tourist area. This will mean several things:

First, there is a hotel/restaurant/campground infrastructure that can support it. Even better if there are local shopping and activities for spouses who may support our addiction, but not enough to hang around a show for 3 weeks.

As I said in a previous thread, when the GAMVPA show was in Helen that was the best place in GA for it, for those reasons.

Outside GA, I would have a few recommendations.

#1 is the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area in TN. Close enough for all the south, and to draw from the midwest and mid Atlantic as well. Huge infrastructure to support us. Lots of possible spots. We would get HUGE public exposure from all the tourist traffic.

I know the owner of the TN museum of aviation there and I know they would work with us on a show.

#2 is Charlotte, at the Metrolina Expo Center:
http://www.metrolinatradeshowexpo.com/
The pluses are they are used to hosting events, right off the interstate, the property is fenced and secured, and there is local lodging. Downside is that it is insanely expensive.

#3 is right down the road from me. Here in the mountains of western NC just a couple miles from Maggie Valley and all the hotels, eateries and other tourist areas.

Here is why a show here would be great:

Western NC is a central spot of all of the south- NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, VA, KY, WV draw a 300 mile circle from here and you hit every state. As for FL, everyone from FL vacations here anyway!

I-40 runs just a few miles away, and we are close to the intersections of I-40 and I-26 and 81.

The spot is just a few miles away from Maggie Valley, with attractions for families as well as the Wheels Through Time Museum, that is quickly becoming a huge draw for automotive enthusiasts from across the country. A bit farther are Cherokee and Asheville. This is a high tourist area, so we would get good visibility among the public.

Everybody loves to visit the mountains.

Lastly, there is a perfect facility available for us. The Haywood County fairgrounds has a great facility that I promise you will rent for a mere fraction of the cost of renting any similar facility in Atlanta. As an example you can get:

Building A

Size 100' x 150' vending concourse & exposition area
Heated
Air conditioned by refreshing mountain air
Drive-through doors at both ends
Concession area with fully equipped kitchen & adjoining room with large sinks & storage
2 restrooms, handicapped accessible
Electrical outlets & well lighted
Outside water & electric for 20 vendors and/or self-contained RV’s & travel trailers: $15.00/night Any trailer, etc. connected to an outside power outlet at the facility will be charged the same fee as a camper.
Phone

Building B

Size 100' x 100' vending concourse & exposition area
Heated
Air conditioned by refreshing mountain air
Drive-through doors at both ends
2 restrooms, handicapped accessible
Electrical outlets & well lighted

Livestock Barn (you can have display vehicles or flea market in here)

60' x 200' drive-through open livestock barn with dirt floor & 60 stalls
1 large concrete wash bay
Small livestock panels can convert open area to small show ring
Removable bleachers with seating capacity of 300
Well lighted
Electrical outlets

Lion's Club Barn (you can have display vehicles or flea market in here)
30' x 150'
30 gated stalls
Well lighted
Electrical outlets

All the above is $1300 a day or $5200 for a week!

Chief_919

I know several folks want to push for Huntsville. While Huntsville is nice and the museum is awesome, it is still a somewhat small museum.

To put this into perspective, Aberdeen HAD 242 outdoor exhibits that included German WWII armor as well as armor and weapons from matchlocks to the most modern weapons. Tough to compete with a large govt owned museum. If you have not been to Aberdeen, you probably are unaware of the displays brought to the show. Equally so is the tours available at the museum that is just a few miles away.

While Huntsville would be a great second choice, I think Columbus or the immediate surroundings would be better.

Mobile is right next to the water and unless we are starting an amphibious capability you limit the geography by 50%. Meaning only folks from the points on the compass from 270' to 90' can come.

The intent will be to have a show that will become the Aberdeen of the South and will most likely surpass Aberdeen. This would be a show for year one. If time and opportunity presents itself for year two, we can look at an off-road component but the intent is to keep the focus on the show.

Anyone have information on potential locations for such an event in Columbus? We should not assume it will be on federal property. That would be a no-go.

Anyone have any contacts within the local county or Columbus city govt to see what permits, approvals and fees we will need to obtain/pay?

As for running an event, should I get bounded and what type of insurance coverage would we need?

Timeline----should we shoot for this spring or should we lay back, take it easy and go for Mar 2012?

If 17-19 March 2011, what other shows will we run up against?

Like Aberdeen, should we run Thur-Saturday? That works good up there.

Anyone with contacts in the scout troops down there to run the food service?

How about Civil Air Patrol to run traffic control and refuse collection?

I think I need to talk to EMR and the folks in MD that put on the Aberdeen show to see what expereice can be gleaned from them.
I think if done right you don't need a museum to draw people in. Most shows I go to that have a museum involved most attendees don't even enter the museum.

The WWII Weekend every June in Reading PA is a great example. The Mid Atlantic Air Museum runs it, but if you show up most of the museums normal exhibits are in storage or pushed away to make room for the show- a show that makes Aberdeen look small with 30,000+ attendees from the public paying $25 each to get in!!! That doesn't count the 1800+ reenactors, all the vehicles, aircrew or the 300+ dealer spots they sell every year. The museum is there, but in reality nobody comes for the museum.

123mack

I think Carnac has a good idea with Columbus since it has the Infantry and Armor branches. As far as local shows, the closest is the Dixie Division spring show in Mobile in early April. My personal opinion, given an option I would take a mega show in Columbus over the one in Mobile.
Since the Dixie Division annual meeting is at the rally at Tannehill Park in November, why not present the idea and maybe get the ball rolling?

Chief_919

I think Carnac has a good idea with Columbus since it has the Infantry and Armor branches. As far as local shows, the closest is the Dixie Division spring show in Mobile in early April. My personal opinion, given an option I would take a mega show in Columbus over the one in Mobile.
Since the Dixie Division annual meeting is at the rally at Tannehill Park in November, why not present the idea and maybe get the ball rolling?

Is there a county fairgounds near there?

There are several upsides to using a facility like that:

The facilities are designed for shows and events.
They are availabe for rent.
They usually have electrical hookups for those camping.
They have restrooms available eliminating the cost and mess of portajons.
They usually have food available and civic groups that will open the concession stand and sell it.
They are big enough to facilitate lots of growth.

Lastly- they offer stability. I have seen lots of events on private property or on a military base that got established, but then lost the location because the land was sold or on base either security requirements changed or the attendees did something that pissed the abse commander off and they banned the whole event. Fairgrounds are usually there for the long haul, and you don't have to deal with the politics and security issues of having it on base.

Greensteel37

Some of you may know this but the Huntsville museum will be moving to the nearby National Guard Armory which is a huge building and plenty of fenced property. I don't know of the timetable but it's something to consider.

I wouldn't run the event too far up the coast or you'll loose Fl and Miss for sure.

I hope you guys can work that out since I'd love to see a "Southern" Aberdeen.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the Ga Ag center in Tifton? I understand the place is huge, as the Good Sams RV folks hold major events there. It is right off I 75, and several other good Ga hiways. I also understand that there is a large fairgrounds near Perry Ga, which is also on I 75.
I have been to a hamfest at the Haywood Co fairgrounds, and while very nice, if you really got some attendance with MV's, I think you might find things a bit "tight".

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I like the idea of a fair grounds. That is one huge plus that the NJ show has over Aberdeen, which is the barns. Overhead cover means who cares if it rains or shines. I use to go to the field all the time, so I don't think I'm a wussy, but that overhead cover was a huge plus to me.

There has to be something like that in the Columbus vicinity. As a side note, my use of the term Columbus meant that vicinity, not meant to say downtown Columbus.

Chief_919

What about the Ga Ag center in Tifton? I understand the place is huge, as the Good Sams RV folks hold major events there. It is right off I 75, and several other good Ga hiways. I also understand that there is a large fairgrounds near Perry Ga, which is also on I 75.
I have been to a hamfest at the Haywood Co fairgrounds, and while very nice, if you really got some attendance with MV's, I think you might find things a bit "tight".
They don't rent the biggest building- the outdoor arena, for the hamfest and they don't rent the second building. That tightens up up a good deal. There is a lot more room for expansion at that facility past what they get for the hamfest.

In fact the hamfest has been using about 1/3 of the available space, at most.

Haywood County Agricultural and Activities Center - Fair Grounds

The county fair every year has a tractor/truck pull. An MV version would be fun...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks