• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show me your auxiliary fuse panel

ramdough

All,

Looking at options for wiring auxiliary fuse panel. Where did you mount it? Where did you tap in?

I have a 1999 A1.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Looking at options for wiring auxiliary fuse panel. Where did you mount it? Where did you tap in?

I have a 1999 A1.

Thanks!

I have one mounted just above the ctis manifold thing near the passenger's feet mounted to the bottom surface of the electrical box dashboard part. That's for my 24 volt supply for certain accessories that I added. I have another one inside screwed down to the floor of that box for the 12 volt items. In the future I'm a rewire and get a bigger better box and mount it's in some better location because it's a pain to take off that passenger foot well cover

ramdough

I have one mounted just above the ctis manifold thing near the passenger's feet mounted to the bottom surface of the electrical box dashboard part. That's for my 24 volt supply for certain accessories that I added. I have another one inside screwed down to the floor of that box for the 12 volt items. In the future I'm a rewire and get a bigger better box and mount it's in some better location because it's a pain to take off that passenger foot well cover
That is kind of where I was planning, but I have extra stuff already in there. I connected my (new) duct hose and there is a box already under the electrical box.

Did you put a monster fuse or breaker in between the PDP and your fuse block?

Third From Texas

None mounted yet, but I'm going to run a 12v 4 AWG run to a six fuse buss up to the overhead console tapped into the 12v ignition source in the breaker panel (for radios).

I'm also doing a 12v 2 AWG run from the PPD down and back up to the rear of the cab (to power the stereo amps and it's vent fans).

Finally I'm running a 24v 1/0 from the PPD down and back up to the rear of the cab to it's own bus (for the 24v cab a/c and cab vent fans)

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None mounted yet, but I'm going to run a 12v 4 AWG run to a six fuse buss up to the overhead console tapped into the 12v ignition source in the breaker panel (for radios).

I'm also doing a 12v 2 AWG run from the PPD down and back up to the rear of the cab (to power the stereo amps and it's vent fans).

Finally I'm running a 24v 1/0 from the PPD down and back up to the rear of the cab to it's own bus (for the 24v cab a/c and cab vent fans)
So, you also ran a 12v ignition fed to the driver's side?

Yep.

I tapped 12v at the PDC, ran a wire (in a plastic loom) thru the forward most body panel Then I added a 6-gang fuse block screwed onto the firewall on the driver side behind the kick panel. Handy for future additions, but the main goal was to fuse protect the Bluefire.

View attachment 910854

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking about running two split bar boxes: (12v battery and ignition; and 24v battery and ignition) to the back wall.

IMG_3054.jpeg

Other than diagnostics like a Bluefire and a couple of charging ports (which I plan to relocate off the existing 12v battery plug in the passenger footwell) I don't have many additions to the dash area—

Third From Texas

So, you also ran a 12v ignition fed to the driver's side?
I was going to but no, I wanted to keep it hot w/o the ignition. I've always preferred my accessories be available w/o the ignition "on". I also rely religiously on my battery disconnect switching the cab. If I want power to anything, it's on. The fuse block on the driver side is hot as long as the battery disconnect is on.

The Bluefire itself won't fully power up and start it's radio until the ignition is activates and the ECU signals are present. So when the ignition is shut off, the devices shuts down no matter how it's supplied.

High Water

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have measured the 12v tap on the my PDP and it deviates +/- 2v. I'll be powering some electronics that care about that voltage deviation so to get a nice clean and constant 12.5v I am planning on installing a DC to DC converter (conditioner) and then power a fuse block like Blue Sea or Blue Fire for distribution. Of course this method would be always on and not tied to the ignition so a master switch may be needed to shut down everything without turning each device off individually.

rronmar showed installing a DC to DC converter in one of his video although his purpose was a little different.

I'll be watching this thread to read all the different ideas. I am still in the planning stage.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounted a 12 Way 12 Volt blade fuse block under the map box support, tapped a 24 to 12 VDC step down converter regulator, which draws from a 24 volt dual battery bank switch.

ramdough

Mounted a 12 Way 12 Volt blade fuse block under the map box support, tapped a 24 to 12 VDC step down converter regulator, which draws from a 24 volt dual battery bank switch.
Any pics? I can’t envision what a map box support is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks