• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show Me Your Campers!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lowtech, that is a fantastic setup man! You probably have some good times with that!
Thanks, but it's REALLY primitive compared to most of my builds. I've only had it out this one time (just got it before we left), we knew that Elise was going to be leaving early to go back to J-Tree w/ the She Beast and I didn't want to be camping in the back of my truck w/o sides or canvas.
Once I get it back to J-Tree I'll do loads more work on it 8) Make some vents for sure!

koolex11

8) Make some vents for sure![/QUOTE]

I thought of that and wanted to comment, but maybe thought you liked it hot! Must be brutal out in the middle of those flats, although I've never been.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that bad :roll: I just spend mid-day siesta time under the trailer :cool:
Some more insulation, vents to get a breeze through, and outside shade netting to keep the sun off the roof/walls and it'll be at least a three season camper [thumbzup]

Last edited:

michaelpilot1

Not sure how it is going to work out but here is the shelter that I picked up from GL this summer. I would like to find a trailer to tow behind my Deuce that will carry it since it is so tall and I will need to sell my motor home to fund the transition from shelter to camper.

Attachments

jamesfrom180

Got the idea here but I liked it. I would buy a stainless steal rolling prep table for a commercial kitchen add two gas burners and a small sink in the top. Build a fold up/down SS lid for the whole thing and mount the fuel bottles and a small clean water tank on the cart and have a 5 gal. bucket as a black water or gray water waste bucket.

Add. - its self contained unit can be used in or out of camper and very compact

Dis-Add. - the thing as described should be pretty heavy unless you can make a good part out of aluminum.

Attachments

Last edited:

koolex11

Here is a nice camping grill. It's called the Sportsman's Series. I looked at one up close and it seems to be well constructed. Compact (maybe 16x18") but good size for a family. But don't buy from eBay! They are $90 at Sam's Club.

Attachments

Bighurt

I just want to throw out that the our Weber Q has been the best grill we have ever had portable or not. Which is why I bought another Weber this summer.

They aren't cheap but you pay for what you get. I run mine off a 20lb bottle but you can do the little bottle thing as well.

If I ever build a MV camper, you'll bet there will be a Weber with it.

[thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just want to throw out that the our Weber Q has been the best grill we have ever had portable or not. Which is why I bought another Weber this summer.

They aren't cheap but you pay for what you get. I run mine off a 20lb bottle but you can do the little bottle thing as well.

If I ever build a MV camper, you'll bet there will be a Weber with it.

[thumbzup]
Jeremy,
Which Weber Q do you have.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/gas-portable

We have an earlier model that I've set up for a 20LB Tank instead of the tiny camp bottles it was made for. It works GREAT. It's "back to basics" and easy to cool, clean and store when on the move.... essential considerations when BUGGING OUT.

IMHO

Bighurt

Jeremy,
Which Weber Q do you have.

Gas Portable Series Grills from Weber Grills and Accessories

We have an earlier model that I've set up for a 20LB Tank instead of the tiny camp bottles it was made for. It works GREAT. It's "back to basics" and easy to cool, clean and store when on the move.... essential considerations when BUGGING OUT.

IMHO
We have the Q200 although they are all pretty much the same just different size, which is why I left out the model number. The 200 fits our family very well, although with 4 boys we would probably upgrade to the 300 if it was "portable".

Until the flood this year, I had planned to MOD the basement of our fiver to have a pull out counter. Currently we have the Q on folding stand tucked underneath, the idea of the counter was to provide a solid level table for the Q. In addition I planned to tie into the RV LP supply. With ample counter space and the lack of toting another bottle around I figured it would mean more meat for me to feast on...

Unfortunatly I got to build a house instead, we did use the Q a lot though...LOL

M1031CMT

As for a camper trailer, I made one from a Pioneer Tool Trailer.

Cut out the wall inside for a start. Changed the axle to take standard civilian tires. Then I build a frame to hold a roof top tent. Then to keep the interior accessible the gull-wing doors were cut in half to give them an extra fold. A heavy duty rubber hinge was made and as you can see lets you open the doors fully again. LED lights were also installed into the rear body of the trailer so that they won't get smashed going off road.

Didn't have time this summer to finish the interior, but it includes a sink with running water, fridge, burner stove, storage, battery backup power, interior and exterior lighting.

Also have to finish some bits on the exterior such as mounting the spare tire, brush guard to protect the tent a bit more and maybe a mount for a small generator.

Pulls really well behind all the different trucks.

Attachments

scranch18121

As for a camper trailer, I made one from a Pioneer Tool Trailer.

Cut out the wall inside for a start. Changed the axle to take standard civilian tires. Then I build a frame to hold a roof top tent. Then to keep the interior accessible the gull-wing doors were cut in half to give them an extra fold. A heavy duty rubber hinge was made and as you can see lets you open the doors fully again. LED lights were also installed into the rear body of the trailer so that they won't get smashed going off road.

Didn't have time this summer to finish the interior, but it includes a sink with running water, fridge, burner stove, storage, battery backup power, interior and exterior lighting.

Also have to finish some bits on the exterior such as mounting the spare tire, brush guard to protect the tent a bit more and maybe a mount for a small generator.

Pulls really well behind all the different trucks.
Now that is cool !!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job on that tool trailer! Won't see many like that on the trails. Are you going to have it done for this camping season and post the pictures, when you do.

M1031CMT

I will definitely be ready to use it this summer. We did a big move this fall so I didn't have time to do the rest, but the big jobs are done. I plan on going up way north this summer to try it out.

Here are a few more pics. Some of the interior welting for the bends. I put stabilizer feet on all sides in case I have to disconnect from the truck and want to get up into the tent. Also some more detailed pics of the tent. Is pretty comfy with the built in mattress.

I am planning on a "drawer" type unit that will pull out of the side of the trailer that will contain the sink, burner and work surface. Just pull it out when you need it, and push it back inside once finished. I had made a mock-up of that idea but seem to have misplaced the picture.

So many ideas, so little time and money it seems ;-)

Edit: Found the pics of the drawer idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

M1031CMT

That's really kool. Where do you go for tents like that? Thanks, Jim
You can simply type in "roof top tent" and it will bring you up with many companies. The tents are made to be installed on the roof of your car/truck. They were developed in Africa to keep people away from the lions and other dangerous things on the ground.

Added a pic of how it open/closes. Takes about 1min to open and 3-4mins to close.

Mine is an ARB style RRT. The only difference between it and a real ARB tent is the logo on the side. Both are made in the same factory, by the same people, but is sold to different companies.

They are more expensive than standard tents but have a lot of extra features. Like a built in 3inch "double sized" mattress. Lots of vents/windows (which all completely open if want/need to get out that way). Very strong structure. Very quick setup and tear down time.

You can also set it up to open on any side of the vehicle that you want.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks