• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show me your generator shelter

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is mine for now. :LOL:
View attachment 888220

Until I get the set mounted on a pad and hard wired to the house, I'm not building anything.
Hoping to learn something by asking this question. Please don't take it as being critical. I really want to see if there's something that I should consider with my generator set. Poorly worded as this question may come across, please forgive, but... why temporarily cover a device that's designed to withstand all kinds of weather?

shazam

Hoping to learn something by asking this question. Please don't take it as being critical. I really want to see if there's something that I should consider with my generator set. Poorly worded as this question may come across, please forgive, but... why temporarily cover a device that's designed to withstand all kinds of weather?
Valid question indeed! My personal sad, but true, answer....anal retentive! :cool:

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valid question indeed! My personal sad, but true, answer....anal retentive! :cool:
LOL - me too! I put a tarp over mine and laughed at myself. I was standard issue GI and they gave me a poncho so I guess it's acceptable to cover a generator! Besides... making sure rain water stays out of the muffler system can't be a bad thing.

shazam

LOL - me too! I put a tarp over mine and laughed at myself. I was standard issue GI and they gave me a poncho so I guess it's acceptable to cover a generator! Besides... making sure rain water stays out of the muffler system can't be a bad thing.
I got a foot-long piece of matching thread pipe, and added a tractor exhaust cover. It sits flat on the end of the pipe, and when the gen starts the exhaust pressure opens it....easy peasy!

Jim

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a foot-long piece of matching thread pipe, and added a tractor exhaust cover. It sits flat on the end of the pipe, and when the gen starts the exhaust pressure opens it....easy peasy!

Jim
That's great...!! If I ever build a roof over mine, which we hope to do someday to help it blend into our rural residential environment, we can run the pipe up through the roof using some sort of rain collar. I imagine that the hearth suppliers have a flashing system for hot pipes that could cause a fire if too close to lumber.

rcamacho

Under construction. I will get the tin on at least for the winter. Big enough for drum storage and any additional cans. Enough room for me to stand next to it for maintenance. All doors easy accessible. The walls will be removable 1x4 with a 2” gap between, plenty of ventilation run horizontally
Might be a tad close to the house for noise and fire risk?
Do you have enough room to service the back side of the generator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beschneid

Might be a tad close to the house for noise and fire risk?
Do you have enough room to service the back side of the generator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is my garage which is separate from the house, can’t hardly hear it in the house. There is almost 2’ on the back side to get around. Not concerned about to much heat. I do need to get a bigger extinguisher for that side of the garage. Thanks for the concern.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just busting balls. :giggle: I usually only throw the tarp over it if snow is predicted.

Putting the generator under cover is always a good thing as long as it's far enough away from any other structure in case of a fire.

I don't even park my vehicles close enough to my house or garage for the same reason.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just busting balls. :giggle: I usually only throw the tarp over it if snow is predicted.

Putting the generator under cover is always a good thing as long as it's far enough away from any other structure in case of a fire.

I don't even park my vehicles close enough to my house or garage for the same reason.
LOL - I'm one of the few on the forum where it's impossible to bust mine!👧

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks