• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Mad Dog 20/20

Just picked-up this m101a2 up from Ft. Meade. 1990 Kasel Mfg. Co. w/ rails, bows and cover and front and rear landing gear. Surge brakes and everything else is fully functional. Very pleased with it.

Exterior

Interior

The rails still had the original paper decals intact.

The indicator lamps were pristine inside:

Tires were like new:

GL auction vid: http://bcove.me/gojtdv3a

Last edited:

JFMickey_D

I've got a little progress done on mine. I think the last time I posted here I had just brought it home.

Got rid of the eyesore (and VERY heavy) oil tank out of the back. A friend of mine wanted it, so it's all his.
Installed some Harbor Freight lights to make it somewhat legal while in transition mode.
Stripped down and painted the original lights, changed the bulbs out for 12V and reinstalled them.
Got some wheels and tires for a steal.

That's all for now. Next step is to get the hole in the arse end welded shut, replace the drains, get it sand blasted and paint it to match the Jeep.

Now on to the pictures!!

P.S. If anyone wants an original wiring harness, drop me a PM. I'll be pulling it out soon and have no need of it (Jeep is a CJ)

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, what do these dates painted in the wheel well mean? The last time it was painted was 3/09?

TIA

That's either: (Your Choice)

1. Most recent Brake & Bearing Service/Replacement Date;

- OR -

2. The CODE for the ALARM SYSTEM. rofl Hidden in the wheelwell so that thieves can't find it. :whistle:

Happy MVing!

Last edited:

Clay James

Thanks.
The paint is nicer than both of my trucks. Right now I'm using it for storage while I redo the whole brake system and front axle seals on 2 M35A2s(a lot bigger undertaking than I anticipated). These type of 105 don't seem to be all that common.
Next year I plan pull it behind my M109A3 during some long road trips. I already have a filtering setup with 3 filters that go to 2 micron and an electric pump. The little rails that the shelves were on hold the 55 gallon drums perfectly. I'll post pics when I get it up and running.

paradeduty

New HEMAT Trailer

Couldn't pass it up as it looked as close as I have seen to new and it was even located in my home state. M989A1 HEMAT (Heavy Expanded Mobility Ammunition Trailer). Still had the chain binders and sealed plastic wrapped manuals still in the stowage box. Only flaw I can find yet is one of the air lines is snapped off at the body - just needs to be reattached w/ new pipe fittings, etc. Probably use this one for Truck Shows and the other older one for parades with a patriotic display (considering silouette of raising flag on Owo Jima?). Time will tell. Good thing it had the instructions - was the first time I needed to cage air brake canisters on my own.......I have now READ THE MANUAL! Very cool though - didn't know that these trailers have a manual air brake release on the drivers side under the bed (assuming that there is still adequate air pressure left - which there was not, some but not enough).

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Nice buy paradeduty, if you don't mind me asking what did you give for them on average? I'm thinking there may be on in my future in a couple years from now.

86m1028

Couldn't pass it up as it looked as close as I have seen to new and it was even located in my home state. M989A1 HEMAT (Heavy Expanded Mobility Ammunition Trailer). Still had the chain binders and sealed plastic wrapped manuals still in the stowage box. Only flaw I can find yet is one of the air lines is snapped off at the body - just needs to be reattached w/ new pipe fittings, etc. Probably use this one for Truck Shows and the other older one for parades with a patriotic display (considering silouette of raising flag on Owo Jima?). Time will tell. Good thing it had the instructions - was the first time I needed to cage air brake canisters on my own.......I have now READ THE MANUAL! Very cool though - didn't know that these trailers have a manual air brake release on the drivers side under the bed (assuming that there is still adequate air pressure left - which there was not, some but not enough).
Nice trailer (I have one in tan) I dont think mine was ever used either.

No spare ?

How well did it tow behind your Ford ?
I moved mine with a single wheel 3/4 ton.
It did have alittle sway in it.

paradeduty

Hey Guys,

to Harley - It is all steel (empty about 11,000 lbs) - made to handle 22,000 lbs of ammo (I think usually rocket pods for the launchers). Usually pulled behind the M985 upgraded HEMTT Cargo Trucks with the Material Handling Crane on the butt end (truck carried 2 rocket pods, trailer carried 2 pods). Originally, they tried using a heavy duty equipment trailer with centrally mounted tandem dually axles (very typical trailer architecture - M989). Soon found out that that much weight carried high over the axles off road was not very stable and so they came out with this rig to get the center of gravity lower. Interesting design in that they pretty much knew that the trailer was going to be high centered with the axles that far apart, so the whole undercarriage between the "unibody framerails" is totally enclosed on the bottom to make a huge skidplate - just shift that HEMTT Allison into low range, lock the diffs and DRAG the 33,000 lbs over whatever is in the way!!! Can just hear those Detroits winding up now! The older one that I have has a few "ripples" in the bottom plating from just such an expedition or two. You would never know it unless you crawl under her though.

Harley and 86 - It pulled OK behind the one ton. lot of things that were not kosher as you would want for real towing as opposed to just recovery. Probably a combo of no air in the air bag suspension, "wagon steering", tow truck weighing less than trailer, etc. made anything over 45 mph cause a little pucker effect. When you drop a 35,000 lb HEMTT in front of it as intended, it can probably hold down the "wagging" better. But then again, if you are hauling a total of 44,000 lbs of rockets around, maybe you are not going even 45 mph! Different type of "pucker effect"! A lot of military equipment was not intended to see a lot of highway miles (did anyways!) like Gamma-Goats, Goers - I think that was one reason the HEMTT was built to replace the GOER - faster on the road although the GOER was still a little bit better off road (but then it was specialized so there you go).

Indy - HMMM...... I have seen them all over the map. The first one I got was a little bit high at about 2500.00, but that was before they started "dumping" a bunch of them and I had just gotten the HMTT Prototype and I thought it would be cool. Don't quote me on it, but I think I have seen some go for around 1,000.00 when there is a few at a time. I guess some of the farmers are liking these for hay wagons (really)! But it all depends what condition you want (as in everything) - This one appeared brand new (even had the newer "surface mount" led tail lights as opposed to the full bucket lights) and was only an hour from home base - so I paid dearly (about 3500.00). But in my little world, I am pretty busy and it is a challenge to set aside a large enough block of time to do any of my projects. If there is a way that I can get around having to "bump and paint" it - there is a price tag attached to that, like it or not. Any decent paint is deffinitely not coming down in price!

And PS - Yes it had the spare (just laying down in the bed).

Dave