• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Mad Dog 20/20

Wow, I don't know squat about what you did, but it looks very sano and well-engineered. Would love to have that ability w/ mine.

Kudos to you.:beer:

Ripcord01

So it's been a couple months but I wanted to show the progress on the dump conversion. I'd say its almost complete. i've tested it with three loads so far and it's holding up well. I want to make sure it's tough enough before I give it the final grind and paint.
Awesome. What type of weight will that Hydraulic pump handle?

quickfarms

That looks great, how much does it weigh? The m105 trailers are kind of heavy. What is the weight capacity of the axle and tires? The tires are only 6 lug.

Last edited:

wikallen

Just picked this up, It is an M104, it is the same as the american m105 accept it has 11.00x20 michelin xl tires, 2 piece wheels and front and rear tail gates, Oh and don't worry I don't tow it with the dodge, just moving it around the yard

Looks like it has m101 style swing open back gates too. Wonder if they fit a m105?

GTO Tiger

So it's been a couple months but I wanted to show the progress on the dump conversion. I'd say its almost complete. i've tested it with three loads so far and it's holding up well. I want to make sure it's tough enough before I give it the final grind and paint.
Bmink650,
Nice workmanship! I like the way you have everything tucked neatly between the frame rails.

What are you planning on hauling with it? As Quickfarms stated, tires/wheels don't appear to be very heavy duty. Also, whatever the axle rating is will be MUCH higher than it will actually be able to carry before bending since the springs are mounted so far inboard. It appears that there is 6" - 8" between the springs and brake backing plates! It will be fine as long as you are NOT carrying a full load of landscaping stone (like what is around your house) or a load of sand or topsoil.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Just picked this up, It is an M104, it is the same as the american m105 accept it has 11.00x20 michelin xl tires, 2 piece wheels and front and rear tail gates, Oh and don't worry I don't tow it with the dodge, just moving it around the yard
MAN I sure wish the m105 rear fence section had barn doors like yours does. Can you get a few close up pictures of that rear gate section for us?

bmink650

Ripcord - The pump puts out up to 3000 psi. What that equals in weight I don't really know. Somewhere out there is a formula to calculate lifting force. I didn't look into it since I only want to haul smaller loads, maybe only around 2500 lbs or so, it should be plenty.
Quickfarms - Not sure how much it weighs yet, can't even guess but it pulls great behind my 1500 chevy. The axle is a 5200 lb and it has E rated trailer tires so it should be plenty strong for what I am planning on doing with it.
GTO- I am mostly hauling loose dirt and yard waste. A few loads of mulch and compost here and there but nothing crazy. The whole time I was planning and building this I was figuring to load no more than 2000-2500 pounds in it. So with a 5200 pound axle, E rated tires I think I'm right where I want to be. There was no way around the 6-8 inch gap between the springs and the brakes unless I used a much shorter axle but that would have looked odd. I could have gone with a 6000lb or higher axle but I thought that was overkill. For what I need it for I think it's perfect. I'm already eyeing another 105 on GL. Maybe that one I'll make super heavy duty!

100acre

I just picked up 2 trailers down in Fla. A 1960 Pioneer Tool Trailer and a M116a2 generator trailer. The guys at the Richloam Rally helped to stack the two for my 12 hour drive back to NC. Not a problem towed great , and passed many an officer without a batting of an eye.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a few trailers but here is my last acquisition. A M101A3. I am getting it ready to use behind my Dodge Cummins or my MVs. So it needs 12/24 volt LEDS etc. Also making some other mods to make the unit more usable on public roads, like DOT spec lighting etc..

Just did some more reading and I have to add some more lights as the trailer is over 80 inches wide. Made the mounting brackets today and will post more pics after the brackets are mounted and the lights installed. I see the the replacement for the M101 series the M1101 and M1102 trailers do meet the current DOT lighting specs.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/trlrpstr.html

Attachments

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I like the channels the lights are mounted in. Did you make those too?

Yes I fabricated the mounting brackets. And have fabricated more to allow mounting lights on the front and rear of the top of the fenders to meet the DOT spec.. When I receive more lights I will mount them. The mounting stuff was made by taking some 1.5 x 1.5 14 ga square tube I had left over from extending the bows up. I ripped one side of the square tube leaving me with a "U" channel piece of metal.

Last edited:

5tondeuce

gates and barn doors

MAN I sure wish the m105 rear fence section had barn doors like yours does. Can you get a few close up pictures of that rear gate section for us?
Here are the pics of the front and rear gates and barn doors, if you need more let me know.
The first 6 pics are the front and the last are the back

Attachments