• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

JBT

JBT: How far does the trailer stick out past your pick up?
I didn't really notice any difference when towing the M1102.

Silver Eagle (Cargo Trailer LTT-H)
lists the dimensions as:

Overall Length 132 inches (335cm)
Overall Width 85.6 inches (217 cm)
Overall Height 52.5 inches (133 cm)
Track Width 72.5 inches (184 cm)
Drawbar Length (from axle center to eye center) 93.2 inches (237 cm)
Drawbar Eye Height 29.5 inches (75 cm)
Deck Height 34.5 inches (88 cm)
Ground Clearance (Laden) 16 inches (41 cm)

My GMC Sierra C3 dimensions are:
  • Width: 78.5 in.
  • Height: 73.9 in.
  • Length: 227.7 in.
  • Wheel base: 143.5 in.
  • Maximum towing capacity: 8700 lbs.**
  • Maximum payload: 1787 lbs.**
  • Gross weight: 6800 lbs.
  • Curb weight: 5013 lbs.
So the trailer sticks out (85.6 - 78.5)/2 = 3.55" on either side of the truck body.

I am in the process of removing all of the mounting hardware for the generator that was on the trailer. When I weighed the trailer, the extra hardware added almost 700 lbs to the empty trailer.
So far, I have removed the decking and control switch unit for the generator. It turns out they were aluminum rather than steel plate. The heavy i-beams and mounting plate on the bed are steel. Thankfully, they used the existing mounting points on the trailer, so there are no extra holes left over.

I have a brand new cover and bow set to put on it.

Lex_Ordo

That trailer is bigger than your car!

Military trailers have such a distinct "cool look" factor like nothing else. I think everyone should have at least one, whether you have MV to tow it with or not. As long as you have the Multi-Volt LED taillights, and a good adapter, you can run them off your 12 volt Civilian auto.
Plus they require virtually no maintenance. An easy way to be apart of the MV hobby.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought this was funny. Some of you may not find it so? I only did this to move her around the yard to the other side of the house, and it was the only means at my disposal at the time. Jim
The little minivan looks like "The Little Engine That Could". Must really been "Power-Strokin' " to even move that rascal on level ground, huh?

:grd:

PS: Glad you didn't take 'er on the paved road. :mrgreen:

:driver:

Stalwart

My EUC came in on the M989A1 HEMAT trailer so next Friday I'll take some pictures as we load it on our gooseneck trailer at JBLM. :jumpin: :cookoo: Can't wait to get it behind the HEMTT. Even Jane looks forward to towing it up to the Arlington Airshow. :popcorn:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
319, that is a NICE trailer! :drool:
Thanks, it's pretty awesome. Engine runs but having fuel issues. Been drooling over these for several years then recently I was extremely fortunate to get this and a very nice M35A3 in the same auction lot. Now I need a tractor.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green tarps fit much better than the camo ones, which are really baggy. The camo ones sit right at the tie downs on an m101. At first I thought the the camo tarp on one of our trailers was for an m105, but its just a lot roomier than the green ones.
Actually there is a newer camo cover that is real baggy on the M101A1 & A2s. It's larger than the standard green, tan or camo cover but smaller than the cover for an M105. Might be for an M101A3 or an M1100 series trailer.

First photo is a proper fitting M101 cover. Second is the newer baggy fitting cover.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, i need to check that thing out. Maybe turn something on the lathe. Very cool.
I have not yet turned on the Dynamotor to operate any of the equipment yet. Trying to get the bugs worked out of the diesel engine fuel system. Seems to be sucking in air. Having a fit trying to seal the filter canisters. It uses the same prefilter as the MEPs and the secondary is the same as the M35 primary. Going to convert to spin on filters.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Actually there is a newer camo cover that is real baggy on the M101A1 & A2s. It's larger than the standard green, tan or camo cover but smaller than the cover for an M105. Might be for an M101A3 or an M1100 series trailer.

QUOTE]

Right, my post is refering to the cover in pic 2, as it hangs down right to the hooks. These covers match the parts number listed in TM 9-2330-202-14&P, for an m101a1/a2/a3 trailer. Since the box dimensions for an a3 box are the same as an a2 or a1, the fit is the same. And an m1101 or 1102 is too large for the cover as well.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter

QUOTE]

Right, my post is refering to the cover in pic 2, as it hangs down right to the hooks. These covers match the parts number listed in TM 9-2330-202-14&P, for an m101a1/a2/a3 trailer. Since the box dimensions for an a3 box are the same as an a2 or a1, the fit is the same. And an m1101 or 1102 is too large for the cover as well.
Must be a reason why they are so much larger. I've seen them up close and it just doesn't fit well at all. They're definately the newer covers as I've never seen an older cover that baggy before. Any idea how much wider and or longer an M1101 or 2 is than the M101s?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know but could the longer cover be for a gen. trailer?
No, the gen trailers use taller covers with the wheel well cutouts. It's definately for a cargo trailer but don't know why it's "oversized".