• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Bighurt

Stuart in that third picture, I missed the winch line first time around and had to ask how are you doing that.

Good thing for second glance.

Nice!

aaron379

I have a Colorado as well. How much to big is a m105 to tow with it? I have a m101a2 but I can barely see it behind my m1031 and was thinking of going with a m105.:driver:
It has no problem pulling or stopping and empty trailer but I don't think it would handle much weight... But I don't see any problem towing with a m1031

Attachments

Stalwart

Thanks Dave,

It does indeed have all the LED's but it is a 2005 trailer so that isn't a suprise. There is one broken marker light but I have a few spare ones from the HEMTT.

That power dovetail trailer is one our best purchases. It is REALLY heavy with all the upgrades we had done to it but we don't have to worry about overstressing the deck and there is no wood to rot in our always wet climate. The HEMAT was our best towing load yet, nice low center of gravity, unlike Jane's Fox which is quite top heavy.

I don't have room for any more toys, I only live on an acre well within city limits. It's hard to move when you lived in the same place for more than 35 years and your kids are still in school.

S.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more I look at the M989A1 the more I want one.
I am understanding that with the M989's weight, the motive unit should be a 5-Ton or larger. Is this correct? Or will a Deuce be included on a "recommended towing vehicle list" for these "buggies"?

The only weight on the tow vehicle would be that drawbar/tongue, however, the GVWR and thrust & braking issues seem marginal at best when considering a Deuce.

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
John

Stalwart

Dell, the tires on mine are Goodyear G178 in the size 385/65R22.5. They are considered a supersingle by Goodyear and stand 43" tall and weight 183 without the wheel.

John, unless it is completely empty, and even then, a Deuce would probably be inadequate for towing a 989 in either configuration. As you stated, without weight transfer, the trailer would push around a Deuce pretty bad. This M989A1 trailer and it's cousin, the M989, were made with the HEMTT in mind. I can't find any pictures where the military pulled the HEMATs with anything else but a HEMTT series truck. I think it best to pull one with either a 5 or a 10 ton with a cargo bed, the 5th wheel trucks lack the weight in the rear.

The only reason my F450 can pull as much as it can, comes from the added traction from 5000+ lbs of weight transfered from the trailer to the truck. A HEMTT weighs nearly 4x the HEMAT and even loaded, the HEMTT weighs 7000 lbs more. Plus, how often are you going to have a loaded trailer and an empty truck. Most likely they would both be loaded and at max weight for each, the HEMTT would out weigh the HEMAT by a better than 2:1 margin.

CGSDarkstar

Picked up my first trailer, an M101A2 with CBC, yesterday and spent most of the day putting the weatherstripping back in place. Picked it up from Fort Gordon and man it's bigger than the pictures on GL. The M1009 pulled it ok, but was a little weak on the hills. May have to put a turbo or 6.5 in, might need both . . . Plan on turning it into a kitchen / bathroom / motorbike trailer, so the bath/kitchen will need to be storeable. Will share as I progress.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks