• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

JOHNGLEN1

Lunette

Harleyhouse,
I'm going to follow your example and pictures and remove the surge brake assembly and have the channel welded to frame. That will give me some of the height that I need, then I'll have to get the rest from the hitch.

blybrook

I used my engine hoist in my M101A2 this weekend to move a couple of axles around the yard. Since I hadn't patched the holes from the fender relocation, I ran a 10k strap around the frame near the front spring eyes and the hoist legs to keep it stabilized while I did the lifting (the lifting arm was rotated 180* on the main frame). I had it hitched to the front of my truck so I could keep a better eye on the load since I was moving it while suspended.

First axle was a Dana 70, second was a M105 remnant.

Attachments

Darwin T

I used my engine hoist in my M101A2 this weekend to move a couple of axles around the yard. Since I hadn't patched the holes from the fender relocation, I ran a 10k strap around the frame near the front spring eyes and the hoist legs to keep it stabilized while I did the lifting (the lifting arm was rotated 180* on the main frame). I had it hitched to the front of my truck so I could keep a better eye on the load since I was moving it while suspended.

First axle was a Dana 70, second was a M105 remnant.

you should work for NASA because that is some great enginering and one sweet idea. [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is nothing wrong with improvising a device to do what you need it to do. I remember having to do this in the past. Now I remember how I got along without a wrecker.

blybrook

you should work for NASA because that is some great enginering and one sweet idea. [thumbzup]

As a matter of fact, I did just finish a project for NASA and I do work as a Structural Engineer. :mrgreen:

Since I store my engine hoist disassembled in a conex, it only took about 30 minutes to put it together in the trailer using some 1/2" steel pins (tent pegs) instead of bolts where I could. I was just glad that it worked as well as I had hoped.

I have been considering taking that spare M105 axle and putting a 6" channel frame on it with no springs (or maybe the Humvee springs that I got from GL) to make a small yard trailer. Then making a swiveling mounting plate for the engine stand hoist for future lifting tasks. I will probably look for another hoist to modify on Craigslist instead of using my regular hoist for this task; and it could turn out to be a good project to take on later in the summer.

If and when I take on this new hoist idea, I'll be sure to post some pictures as I put it together. I have 95% of the materials already to accomplish it.

Darwin T

that funny, i don't care who you are. i like engineers that get their hands dirty. most of the ones i know have a floresent tan and live in a cubical.

i have just been looking at engine cranes trying to find the one i want to mount on a old M105a2 i have laying around. i need to get some measurments first. what i am thinking is pull the bed move the back leg to one side and add another to the other side. most of the time it will be hooked to a truck but just incase, you would not want to clip the only leg holding it up. i don't want to use my M105a3 but it has 2 spots on the back for jack legs.

blybrook

Having two legs sounds like a good way to do it. Having a crank jack on each side may be better than the leg(s) as it will give you somewhat better control without having to climb partially under the trailer to lift should you wish to move the suspended load.

I'll get a sketch put together of what I'm thinking of doing as it sounds like it may help a few people.

Darwin T

after much thought, i decided to get another M105a2 (recoverd 04/30/12) for my M105 CBC instead of putting in the one i had. now i will have a regular trailer and a CBC without having to pull the shelter when i just need a trailer. i am going to clean and bedliner the inside of the bed to keep it from rusting before i move the CBC into the trailer.

Attachments