• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

okconcealed

Trailer is 82" wide....rails are 15" high. I have seen a few of the 3/4 Ton trailers since I got mine. May need to sell mine later or trade for 3/4.

Oldfart

I have towed an M105a2 containing a "mule" with a M1009. Not the best combination, but we did get the mule delivered some 20 miles away and then the M105 returned to its owner after another 20 miles. The M105 has air brakes so the net effect was much the same as towing an early M101 with out surge brakes. Pintle heights don't match. Our loads were minimal and much the same as if we were towing another M1009. The M105 could be modified so you had brakes and the lunette adjusted to better match the M1009, but the M101a2 was designed to work with the CUCV vehicles and can be purchased for less than the cost of modifying an M105.

GL's shipping dimensions for an M105 show it to be 78 inches wide.

okconcealed

Thanks Oldfart. I will start looking for a 101A1. Probably sell the 105, didn't spend too much on it. Anyone near Hooks TX, interested in a 105, let me know. I don't plan on getting a duece.

Oldfart

Make that an M101 A 2. The plain old M101 has 5 hole wheels with 9.00x16 tires and no surge brakes and only a single tail light. The M101a1 has the newer style dual tail lights, but remains as 5 hole 9.00x16 wheels and tires. The M101a2 has 8 hole wheels and smaller tires that better match the CUCV series. The CUCV Blazer has different wheels (6 hole) from the CUCV trucks (8 hole), but the road heights are similar. The M101a3 uses HUMVEE tires and wheels.

Ord22

A M105a2 trailer is usually pulled by a deuce or above beacuse of the air it needs to stop. M1009 is the right fit for a M101 trailer. This is how we did it in the army. We were not allow to mix or match trailers with different trucks, safety reasons.

Pawnshop

Pix as follows:

#1: a M1009 with a M416 (the only trailer authorized by the Army for use with the M1009)
#2: a M1009 with a M101A2 (surge brakes and not too heavy IF loaded properly)
#3: a M1009 with a M105A3 (WAY too heavy, shagging around the yard ONLY!)
#4: M105A3 in it's proper position behind a Deuce
#5: M105A3 in it's proper position behind an M813
#6: two M105A3 on a standard car hauler trailer (note the crushed fenders)

The M105A2 is narrower than a M105A3 so you may not have the trailer clearance issues we did, but the tongue height and weight is just too much for a M1009 to safely pull, especially with a load.

I have not yet pulled the M105A3 with my M1028 but I do not expect any issues with the trailer empty, I will not try it loaded though!

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just got our M989A1 HEMAT back from having it made pretty again. Then it went on display at the Arlington Fly-In this last week. The HEMTT had a good week, a new trailer to pull and new M4 Carbines for the doors :jumpin:
Nice looking combo!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just got our M989A1 HEMAT back from having it made pretty again. Then it went on display at the Arlington Fly-In this last week. The HEMTT had a good week, a new trailer to pull and new M4 Carbines for the doors :jumpin:
Those are some really cool toys!

How long is that HEMTT + HEMAT Combo?
Any problems with turning radius?
Thanks.
John

goldneagle

Are you going to use the trailer as a rolling Jacuzzi? Maybe a small swimming pool?

Stalwart

Those are some really cool toys!

How long is that HEMTT + HEMAT Combo?
Any problems with turning radius?
Thanks.
John
John, I've only towed it around on the grass for now but it tracks well and doesn't cut inside the truck as much as I thought. The turning radius of the truck is average for its size and the trailer doesn't seem to mind following along at full lock. We haven't measured the length yet but we think it is in the 65' range. Since the HEMAT was made for only one truck, and I'm using that truck, I don't expect many issues. Thanks for the compliments, we are pretty darn happy.

Oldfart

The M989a1 will tow behind some other stuff, but the wagon style with a short bar can put it pretty close to the tow vehicle on tight turns (as we have discovered.) It was designed to go behind the HEMTT and anything else seems marginal. We have towed it with an M818 and an M817 so far and I think the fit would be about the same with our M35a2. I do wonder how it would tow behind one of our XM791's given the larger turn radius.

In any case, Stuart has the primo set up for the trailer. And it all looks factory fresh.

Stalwart

M2 class 3 in Washington State? Don't be silly, they won't let us individuals go there, we are a solid BLUE state. It is a good dummy that will pass the 1 foot test for most, certainly not those seasoned with the weapon. We do have the Barrett M82A1M (aka M82A3) if we need to make noise with 50 BMG. We don't have the pintle mount for it yet, and it's a little spendy at more than $1000. Heck, we've only had the 82 for a week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks