• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

SteveKuhn

GL Urchin to Billboard to Parade Float

OK, so in its most recent configuration you can't really see it, but that's by design. Besides, the job I did on fixing this one up ran out of weather and calendar, so it's best that way.

It'll be much more visible when it gets the 40mm Bofors and the signs move elsewhere.

Steve

Attachments

SteveKuhn

Worth mentioning that the guy on the right in photo 2 is a 94 y/o sub vet of the USS Lapon and saw duty in the Pacific. He shows up at the Ling EVERY Saturday and Sunday at 8:30 or so and does anywhere from 2 - 3 tours each day. The WWII Sub Vet flag is his. He donated another to the Navy sub museum in Groton. The organization disbanded officially a year or so ago because there were too few members left. He makes it very clear that the only thing on his mind is the submarine memorial part of the operation. He doesn't want the boats forgotten and he wants the guys on Eternal Patrol remembered. Honestly, judging by the lack of knowledge of the visitors, he has picked a huge and worthy mission.

M - F he ferries buses to buyers from a dealer. We've gotten to know each other a bit over the past few months. It was Joe's mission that I picked up on for trimming the trailer. It was a big deal to get him to come along because even when the museum office is closed, he shows up for 'work', sits in his car for 8 hours if need be, and when a car pulls in he gets out, greets them, and offers a tour. It's not uncommon for him to take 10 -15 people through on a day when the place is officially closed.

The guy on the front left is a friend of mine since the early 80's who I'd lost touch with until last week. Well, I admit that I went out of my way to bump in to him and get him to come along. He's a sub vet of Polaris and diesel boats. Getting him was another win because I've never gotten much out of him about being on the boats, and certainly not recognition in a context like this.

The two people in the back are the curator and treasurer. 95% of keeping the place open is due to them. Maddog will attest to how hard it is to keep these displays operating.

Anyway, that backstory is a lot more important to me than posting photos of a grey gen trailer.

Can I interest anyone in getting involved with a 330 foot diesel/electric MV? Come on down!

Steve

Another Ahab

Can I interest anyone in getting involved with a 330 foot diesel/electric MV? Come on down!

Steve
Steve, you know about the USS Torsk berthed in Baltimore?

Don't know if it's help but maybe some contact with the group maintaining her (City of Baltimore?), might help out through shared resources. Just an idea.

And please tell your "trailer buddies" there that they've got a fan base here at SS.

SteveKuhn

Several of the Ling's people know it well, and I know of the Torsk through Maddog's posts here and one of their [former] volunteers stopped by the Ling over the summer. It's a bit of a haul between locations.

Thanks.

End of thread hijack.

Steve

ih8pepl

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Hi, Im new here.

Just picked up this 1952 M100 Barn Find. Its missing some parts but its in fantastic shape for being from WI.

Brought this Korean War Vet home with me today :D
Good find. And cleaned up REAL nice!

Or maybe that's just the shine of the ice coating that froze up from your wash-down...

Welcome, from the most beautiful State in the Union, right here in Virginia.

Last edited:

ih8pepl

Or maybe that's just the shine of the ice coating after your wash-down...
The shine is a quick wipe down with WD40 for its winter hibernation till spring when I can get new tires on it and continue cleaning it up. In the mean time I will hunt down the missing parts like the Lunette eye, cast hitch/landing leg assembly and brake handle...

1943ht

Picked these three up this month ... SPEN-S 1/4 Ton Trailer that is in pretty good shape and will be fairly easy to restore .. and then there this rare? and somewhat unusual 1931 Willy's Whippet 1/4 trailer that I purchased yesterday.

Also picked up a 1/4 ton military trailer chassis that I recovered last night ... not sure what type of trailer it is .. landing leg has three holes for detente .. one of the holes is only a half moon instead of a full hole. Lunette is gone but the rest seems to be there. No data plates and no brakes although it has a round axle that looks original. Someone pulled the shocks but the mounting hardware is still there.

PB010006.jpgPA300008.jpgPA300007.jpgPA300004.jpgWillys Whippet.jpg1 4 4.JPG1 4 3.JPG1 4 1.JPG

Last edited:

Artisan

My trailer is exactly like this one picture here, owned by another SS member.
His picture is sweet... :) It self loads and unloads 20' Shipping containers loaded,
to about 15,000 pounds. 3 banger Perkins runs the hydraulic winch.

schutt.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks