• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

GTO Tiger

As promised in another thread, here are some pics of my son's M101 that was included with the purchase of his M51 5 ton dump truck. It appears all the tags have been removed. As you can see it is pretty rough. It had been used to haul gravel and was left outside. The steel floor is like swiss cheese so they cut wood and laid that in to keep the gravel in! When we got it home, my son (SS name crazyman) threw the wood on the burn pile and washed the steel box out so there would be no places to hold moisture. The brake handles are gone and the brake cables had been cut back or rusted off. The front box to tongue attach bolts and brackets are gone and someone welded some angle iron in their place. The original tongue leg is missing and has been replaced with a modern wheeled tongue jack.

The trailer did come with the canvas cover and bows which were stored inside. The bows look like they had spent some time out doors as the paint is mostly gone from the wood. The canvas looks like it was never put on. It shows no signs of fading or weathering.

I am a little confused after reading many posts. Is this trailer really an M101A1? Is there such a trailer as just a plain M101?

Attachments

Danger Ranger

I want to know more on that "storage box" and need to research the humvee thing, those are new aren't they?
What truck is pulling the trailer with the box?
Thanks

koolex11

I am a little confused after reading many posts. Is this trailer really an M101A1? Is there such a trailer as just a plain M101?
It's an A1. Only the A1 has that wheel setup. That is the roughest 101 I have seen! I am 90% sure there is no such thing as a plain M101.

Oldfart

It's an A1. Only the A1 has that wheel setup. That is the roughest 101 I have seen! I am 90% sure there is no such thing as a plain M101.

I own a plain old M101. The clue is the tail light set up. The tail lights match the 50's vintage set up which had only one service stop lamp on the left rear. The right side is a black out marker light and black out stop light.

AMTAK

I want to know more on that "storage box" and need to research the humvee thing, those are new aren't they?
What truck is pulling the trailer with the box?
Thanks
It was for computers. It is one of the biggest gov waists I have seen. AC unit was junk. The electronics for it were on the outside and shorted out then they sold it. The truck under it is just a frame I used to pull it out of the spot it was in. M925 scraped it long ago.

Oldfart

My 1956 M105 converted to a1 getting a paint job to match our M220 Jimmy. The combo is my avitar.

Attachments

Oldfart

The answer to the white paint is because that's the way it came from the Army. We have had the M220 just a little over two years now and we got it from GL out of Barstow CA. It got there from Yuma Proving Grounds about a year earlier. I don't know when exactly it was painted white, but it was very early in its 55 year career. We were able to find people at YPG who remember the truck as far back as 20 years and it was a long time white by then. YPG will repaint white to repell the heat and make the vehicles more visible while they are out on the range (particullary if they don't want to shoot it with something.)

GHILL55

Here is my work in progress, on it's way to becoming a mega camper.
1967 Stevens M127A1C with 1969 Stevens M197A1 Dolly

PAINT: Valspar satin Black tractor & implement paint

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to start your own thread on that project!
I couldn't agree more.... :ditto: A project like yours - which seems to be off to such a great start - needs a dedicated thread for trailer-builders to subscribe to and follow and reference for years to come.

Once you create that thread, please include a link to it back here so that those of us that you've teased with those great pics will be able to continue to follow your progress and to DROOL and SLOBBER all over our computers with envy.

THANKS !

John,
San Angelo, TX