• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

GHILL55

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The rain finally let off today so I framed all the out side walls. Had to run the BEAST up to Home Depot for more framing supplies and the roof joists ( The big black beast draws a lot of strange looks). Tomorrow I'll frame the interior 2 walls and the 4 angled roof trusses and raise and bolt down the whole shebang (if the weather holds) I'll also sheet the exterior and first roof layer.
If I can still lift my arms to the keyboard I'll post new pics.

PS - I'll try to figure out the post a thread and the link thing, if any one thinks it's worth it

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The rain finally let off today so I framed all the out side walls. Had to run the BEAST up to Home Depot for more framing supplies and the roof joists ( The big black beast draws a lot of strange looks). Tomorrow I'll frame the interior 2 walls and the 4 angled roof trusses and raise and bolt down the whole shebang (if the weather holds) I'll also sheet the exterior and first roof layer.
If I can still lift my arms to the keyboard I'll post new pics.

PS - I'll try to figure out the post a thread and the link thing, if any one thinks it's worth it
Sounds like you've been a busy boy on this project !

If you would like, I'd be glad to either walk you throught the Thread-Creation and Link Posting process, OR I could just do it for you and let you focus on the Trailer Project... Let me know what you prefer if you'd like that kind of help.

John

Nick

I am a little confused after reading many posts. Is this trailer really an M101A1? Is there such a trailer as just a plain M101?[/QUOTE]

After studying your posted pics and comparing them to my trailer, I believe you have a "plain" M101. The wheels are the same as the Dodge's from that era. I am restoring a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon, the 101 I have is a 1952....Same brakes, same wheels, same hubs, etc. The data plate on mine says M101....I feel lucky to have it, it seems like everyone has an M101 A1, A2 etc..

The box you have is also the same, but since you are missing the brake levers, its a little confusing. If the levers mounted paralell to the box, across the front, its a "plain" 101, if they mounted perpendicular, with round handles, its not a plain one...

Look at the album I have linked in my signature to see more and compare yours to mine...2cents

Nick

Oldfart

I am a little confused after reading many posts. Is this trailer really an M101A1? Is there such a trailer as just a plain M101?
After studying your posted pics and comparing them to my trailer, I believe you have a "plain" M101. The wheels are the same as the Dodge's from that era. I am restoring a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon, the 101 I have is a 1952....Same brakes, same wheels, same hubs, etc. The data plate on mine says M101....I feel lucky to have it, it seems like everyone has an M101 A1, A2 etc..

The box you have is also the same, but since you are missing the brake levers, its a little confusing. If the levers mounted paralell to the box, across the front, its a "plain" 101, if they mounted perpendicular, with round handles, its not a plain one...

Look at the album I have linked in my signature to see more and compare yours to mine...2cents

Nick[/QUOTE]

Nick,
Almost all of the early "plain" M101's were upgraded by the military in the field. This upgrade consisted of converting the tail lights to accommodate turn signals. I don't know at what point it became M101's converted to turn signals and M101's converted to M101a1. The early M101's had the old style hand brake handles, no stabilizer foot in the rear, a single oval lensed stop-tail light-black out light on the left rear and a similar sized black out stop/tail lamp on the right rear. I have seen a few turn signal conversion set ups using the oval lens left side stop/tail light assembly on the right side, but most have been converted to the newer composite stop/turn/tail assemblies.

GTO Tiger

Nick,
I don't see any evidence on our trailer of the brake handle brackets like I see in your pics.

Old Fart,
I don't see any evidence of a rear landing gear bracket on the rear frame cross member like I see in Nick's pics

I will take a close look the next chance I get to see if I can see if these brackets have been ground off although I don't see why anyone would have taken the time to do that since they did not take the time to fully remove the brake cables.

The lights just look like those from a trailer kit from an auto parts store. Someone even added the side marker lights.

My son does not really plan to do a complete accurate restoration on this unit since it is so rough. The goal is just to get it into safe operating condition and make it look presentable.

I am just being curious as to what model it is. I don't see any tags anywhere so getting an ID was not obvious.

Oldfart

Nick,
I don't see any evidence on our trailer of the brake handle brackets like I see in your pics.

Old Fart,
I don't see any evidence of a rear landing gear bracket on the rear frame cross member like I see in Nick's pics

I will take a close look the next chance I get to see if I can see if these brackets have been ground off although I don't see why anyone would have taken the time to do that since they did not take the time to fully remove the brake cables.

The lights just look like those from a trailer kit from an auto parts store. Someone even added the side marker lights.

My son does not really plan to do a complete accurate restoration on this unit since it is so rough. The goal is just to get it into safe operating condition and make it look presentable.

I am just being curious as to what model it is. I don't see any tags anywhere so getting an ID was not obvious.

Like Nick, my guess is that you have a "plain" M101. These would have been surpluss some time in the early to mid 60's most likely and were 50's vintage trailers. My guess is based on what looks like bolt holes for the early brake handles. The M101 series is really a tough little trailer. I have hauled 3 ton of gravel in mine. Something I do not recommend I might add, as the springs were beyond flat. Now that I am older and wiser, I have other trailers for the really heavy stuff (still waiting for my EUC to clear on my M989a1.)

GHILL55

Coldwarrior,
Thanks for the offer, now that I figured out how to re size pics and post them
(Thanks to all for the great SS tutorials). I started a new thread M127a1c/ M197a1 camper conversion. Any suggesttions are greatly appreciated by this Ludite.
Just posted latest update.

faw3

1946 Bantam T3-C

Our decent 1946 Bantam T3-C; Fulton hitch, combat wheels, single tail light cutout. Once I learned (from here and the Bantam site) what it is...no major mods planned, just sanded/painted and fixed up a bit. Towed mostly by our JK jeep and used for utility hauling/camping/antique hunting in Virginia, USA.

Thanks again for this site and the resources/links for us to enjoy this Bantam!

First post for trailer: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/75830-hello-new-bantam-t3c-owner.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark2X2

Camper M105

Here is my M105 with camper, I'm just pulling it out to the back 80 with a dozer. So know one get there panties in a wad about clearances, brakes or lights.

Attachments