• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Oldfart

Our latest addition (today) to our fleet of trailers, a M989a1 HEMAT in really nice condition (like new.)

Attachments

Oldfart

Nice trailer. What sort of plans do you have for it?

We put it to use the next day after we got it home, hauling a 30KW generator and some compressors and a welder we are adding to our collection of military stuff. We think besides hauling our stuff, we will use it as a parade trailer. We have some waiting room seats that are tied together back to back that would fit really nice down the center of the trailer. Our club gets asked all the time for a vehicle to parade veterans in and the trailer might be just the thing.

Attachments

Oldfart

Nice trailer!

BTW: SAFETY NOTE: Your tow-safety-chains should be CRISS-CROSSED to catch the draw bar in case it become disengaged.

Safety note received. ~~ This model of trailer has a short steerable tow bar that includes a drop stop which keeps the bar from hitting the ground. The safety chains are too short to cross under the tow bar. In fact, the connection pig tail is short as are the air hoses. The air hoses are just barely long enough to cross and this is necessary as the service gladhand is on the opposite side from our trucks. I assume the HEMTT is on the passenger side instead of the drivers side.

maverick

Thank you for the great comments, I found it in Belguim for my friend who was looking for one and towed it home about 2 years ago, I assume it came out of a American base in Germany ??? 1968 dated

Last edited:

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just Finished Today

Today I installed the side racks and the trailer is finished. The trailer was media blasted, epoxy primed and painted. The hardest part was stripping and repairing the wood side rails. Old paint was stripped and new wood added where necessary. The old wood really soaked up the primer/sealer. I have the bows and top but it won't fit in the storage building with it on. I'm not real crazy about the new vinyl tops so I may not use the top at all.

The markings are as the trailers were in 1968 so if you wonder how to letter, this is authentic. In fact, I used the original registration number, found under the paint. Notice the last digits are 68, the year of delivery. This must have been standard practice back then. My truck is marked the same way for 1968. All the old markings were found under the layers of paint and etched into the steel. The unit designation I put on is my old Battalion but they are in the proper place and size.

Thanks to ABLinn, Saturn Surplus, Gillespie Paint, and Delta Team Decals for parts and equipment.

Attachments

bmink650

Modified M105

I modified a M105 a little bit to make it easier to tow behind my 1500 silverado. 5200 lb drop axle, smaller wheel & tire combo, removed non essential gear and now it tows great. Next step is making it into a dump trailer.

Attachments

GTO Tiger

I modified a M105 a little bit to make it easier to tow behind my 1500 silverado. 5200 lb drop axle, smaller wheel & tire combo, removed non essential gear and now it tows great. Next step is making it into a dump trailer.
Nice work.[thumbzup] Welcome to the SS site!

Please post pics of your dump conversion before-during-after!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great mods with sound justification there! You executed it nicely too [thumbzup]

Welcome to the GREEN IRON ADDICTION :jumpin:

:driver:

harleyhouse

Bmink650

Very nice work on the trailer, It looks very proportioned to the truck.
How much does it stick out side to side?
Can you feel it back there?
Did you go with electric brakes?
Is a white paint job in the future?

One more mod you need to do to make it more road friendly.
Replace the lunette with a receiver channel and then you can use a
lower mount on your draw bar.

Post more pictures of the rebuild.
Harleyhouse

Attachments