• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shut off Deuce when Refueling, or let it run?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty much only the military consistanly makes you shut it down when fueling diesel. Pretty much everyone else realizes there's virtually no chance of starting a fire just from fueling with diesel. We do shut down our fire apparatus at the pumps, mostly to be a good example and so we can hear the walkie if we get a run. Other than that, I don't generally shut down for diesel. Gasoline is an entirely different matter. It's a lot easier to ignite from static electricity or suck in volitile fumes from a spill.

Rustygears

Pretty much only the military consistanly makes you shut it down when fueling diesel. Pretty much everyone else realizes there's virtually no chance of starting a fire just from fueling with diesel. We do shut down our fire apparatus at the pumps, mostly to be a good example and so we can hear the walkie if we get a run. Other than that, I don't generally shut down for diesel. Gasoline is an entirely different matter. It's a lot easier to ignite from static electricity or suck in volitile fumes from a spill.
Exactly my philosophy too, except I don't fuel fire trucks!

Troll1216

I hot fuel everything but the weed eater or lawn mower. I do set the parking brake AND chock the front wheel (both sides) when fueling, or parking.

dittle

Let it run. Remember you can put a match out in a can of diesel and you will have no fire. Try that with a can of gas on the other hand and you'll be in the ER.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let her run the whole time and set the parking brake and chock the rear wheels.

I let everything run when I'm fueling except when my wife is in the vehicle, she shuts them off as soon as I get out. She buys into the BS that a cell phone will start a gas fire which is total BS and has been proven to be false but yet they insist on putting the warnings on the pumps. It is almost always static electricity caused by getting in and out of the vehicle......

91W350

Depends on the idle time to the pump and how hard I had been running before. Last night I shut down mid fuel up so the 80ish year old Vet that was asking about the truck did not have to yell..He was telling me about driving Dodge ambulances in Korea. Glen

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let it run with the E-brake set.
Most of the time when I refuel on the road, it is just fuel and go.
But at home most of the time I shut it off.

jamesfrom180

http://www.hollistonoil.com/ultralowsulfurmsds.pdf - ultra low sulfur

http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/brand/content/documents/mpc/msds/0117MAR019.pdf - low sulfur

simply put Ultra has flash range of 100 to 130 degree F and Low has 130-190 degrees F
I find vapor listed as static ignition for Ultra. I assume this is a result of a lower vapor pressure of Ultra
I was warned by a Haz Waste handler that runaways have occured with Ultra low sulfur vapor and explosions also Never before seen but are now happening at terminals and yards.

So Please for your saftey and the public turn it off. Now if your deuce is running low sulfur or any of the used oil alternative Knock your self out. Diesel has now changed.2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce gets filled exclusively from a transfer tank. No such regulations posted there.

jaxsof

I shut off, but that is because its a good walk to the cashier. Also, I think we should call it a P-Brake, 'cause if you are in an emergency, and you pull that lever, it still is!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in a Police State,and a County run by Nazis, Michigan law says if you are refueling, your vehicle must be in park and the engine turned off.
3-4 times a year I hear of someone getting a ticket for this, 52'2 District Court gave Dave a friend of mine a $300.00 fine when he went to court
to fight the ticket.

The Female Judge told Dave my friend " if the officer catches him again the officer is instructed to impound his car for being forwarned and this situation is unsafe."

My2cents

Last edited:

mightymanx

For big diesels and MV's

I will shutdown every few days on trips to check oil and the rest of the fluids.

Other than that I let them run. (this is If I am driving 24-7)

I did not shutdown on my Redstone to Seattle recovery untill day 3.

For gassers I shutdown

Oilleaker1

If you fuel at a regular gas station, the rules say shut off the engine. I shut mine off. I can then hear any problems I wouldn't, if running, and when you go into pay, who knows how to start it to steal it? If it's running and somehow has a leak or problem slipping into gear, now what? You also can have a normal conversation with interested people, discover where they served, etc. They can hear it when you re-fire it anyway. If they have a nat. gas leak or some kind of air- born gas that gets sucked into the mushroom, well, remote I know, but you'll have a runaway engine. I do find that my ears have told me of more problems than my eyes, so be safe and shut it off. ;)John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks