• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shuts off when i step on gas

TOBEXA

Where should i begin to look if my 1009 is drowning out when i step on the gas? some guy told me to check my valves? is this plausible?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check for a crimped or kinked fuel line somewhere. Sometimes, if only a little fuel is needed, it runs, but step on the gas pedal, and it stalls out. I had a pickup and two deuces like that.

Crash_AF

The fuel pump might be failing and therefore starving the engine for fuel... take the outlet line off the pump and put it in a bottle, crank it for a couple of revolutions and see how much fuel it delivers...

Later,
Joe

CCATLETT1984

The lift pump is not needed on these trucks, once running the IP will siphon enough fuel on its own.

If you do try what Crash is suggesting, pull the pink wire off of the injector pump. That way you dont suck air into the IP, and invite yourself for a day of fun bleeding the air out from all the lines.

Your issue is definitively a fuel supply one. It could be that the filter sock (more like mesh) on the pickup tube inside the fuel tank is clogged. On the passenger side of the frame, just to the rear of the front tire, there is the main fuel line running from the tank. you will want to pull the rear line out of the distribution block and blow ~5psi of air through it (REMOVE THE FUEL FILLER CAP FIRST!!!!) that will clear anything clogging the sock.

Then reattach the line. Pull the pink wire from the IP and bleed the fuel filter, Once you get the air out start the truck and see if you notice a change. Doing this is a temp fix, if it works you need to pull the fuel tank and clean it out.

JAsher45

the engine will barely idle if the timing on the pump is off on tooth on the gear let alone make it to 1200 rpms... i agree you have a fuel issue. get a pressure guage and install it inline between your lift pump and IP. you should have 4-6 psi. if you don not your lift pump is going bad.

TOBEXA

ok, so now the truck runs.........but when i get to a stoplight it turns off....loooooooooooool can this be the cylenoids?

JAsher45

need to have some details on what all touble shooting you have done thus far. it is possibel that your fuel shut off solenoid is going bad in your pump but they normall do that when they are hot and will stick closed.

TOBEXA

sorry it took me so long. i finally got sooooo frusterated i sent it to a mechanic. he came back and said i need a new fuel distributor. i didn't think this truck had one and actually i haVE NEVER HEARD IF ONE OF THOSE.........ANY IDEAS?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am surprized no one asked about stepping on the GAS versus stepping on the throttle or acellerator. You do have fresh diesel in it right? I would look at pressurizing the tank with a rag in the filler and an air hose running about ten pounds of air pressure and have a friend try to start it and let it go through a few cycles I used to fix non starting Thermkings this way.

Somemedic

Wat the hell is a fuel distributor? Id bet hes sucking air in someplace, rubber hose or filter housing or something... Have your mechanic show you wat this distbutor is. Id be very intrested on how much it is as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks