• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Silicone Boot Installation Part 1

littlebob

I replaced mine with the new stars about 2yrs ago and never left the neighborhood. They look worse now than the ones I replaced. I'd love to hear from someone that has a couple years experiance with the silicone.

roady

I put the yellow silicone boots on my desert tan after hearing about some of the troubles with the black rubber boots. Hopefully all will be well.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question. Just following the StepxStep instructions posted on the forum. I certainly do not believe it can hurt. Too late for me now. fat lady sings

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is very tough to say. First I am very anal about cleaning so I scrubbed everything and blasted and painted some of the parts. I also needed new bearings so I had to wait on those and I had to rebuild the wheel cylinders. I would hazard a guess at 6 to 8 hours per side.

DieselBob

Why did you put grease in the steering knuckle space if you have Spicier joint axles?
I just finished doing all my seals, bearings and brakes and also have the universal joints. I still packed my knuckles full of GAA including the space between the knuckle and axle housing ends. I figure GAA is cheap and if I have a undetected boot failure or manage to submerge the axle it will afford at least marginal amount of protection. Can't hurt.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess enough folks complained and they started making them in black. I stand corrected (or they are rubber).

Why did you put grease in the steering knuckle space if you have Spicier joint axles?
Interesting! I put the GAA in there as well with Spicer joints. The joints aren't sealed so they need lube from somewhere. Cornhead grease would probably be better. Sealed and greasable joints even better.

Last edited:

peashooter

So whats to story with the silicone boots? Are they holding up more than a year or 2 which is about what I get out of the rubber zipper boots? I'm planning on buying a set from Boyce but they are telling me the black ones dont appear to be silicone, just the Red, Green and Blue ones. If you have Silicone Boots on your truck, I'd love to hear how many years you have got out of them and how they are looking. Thanks

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on buying a set from Boyce but they are telling me the black ones dont appear to be silicone, just the Red, Green and Blue ones.
That's not good to hear. I have the black ones and was told they're silicone by the guy that sold them to me. They're being put on the She Beast by someone as we write.

peashooter

That's not good to hear. I have the black ones and was told they're silicone by the guy that sold them to me. They're being put on the She Beast by someone as we write.
Well dont hold me or Boyce to their black boots positively not being silicone. I quickly asked them if they were silicone because it didnt specifically say on the website and Im done with the rubber zipper boots since they dont last at all. He checked them out for me and said they feel and look more like rubber, where the red, blue and green ones actually looked/felt more like what silicone would be like. Maybe I'll just get some colored ones so their is no doubt, but still I've heard conflicting reviews on the silicone.... and with as big of a job as it is to put the non zippered boots on, I would like to do get the best I can for it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree w/ the fact that the zippered ones are worthless. We put some on and they were cracked in about 7 months. The old ones on the lil Draggin' are in better shape and they were on there when I got the truck. Kind of makes me scared to change them.

welldigger

I have black silicone boots on my truck. So far after a year and a half they are holding up. I get them from a local supplier. Pretty reasonable prices on them.

I should also add i haven't noticed any cracks or drying of the boot. I don't believe silicone dries out like rubber does anyway.

On the a3 bobber we put a set of black silicone boots on and one ripped less than 3 months later. We honestly aren't sure what happened there. The truck never left the shop. It is possible we ripped it during installation.

In my honest opinion the silicone boots suck. But, they seem to suck less than anything else currently available. So I buy them and use them on my personal truck and I install them on every deuce I work on.

Pretty sad when the best you can get is still crap.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks