• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SimonG project CUCV future questions

DXTAC

Gates 7575 - $11.00 RockAuto
Gates 7483 - $9.08 RockAuto
Gates 7448 - $8.83 RockAuto

I'd go with the Green Stripes though as they don't stretch. You can call and they cross reference.

SimonG

DXTAC,
thanks for the info, its 23 miles round trip to NAPA, didnt want to have to return the wrong belts. Thanks again

SimonG

Well havent made much progress due to work but I did manage to find some stuff

got new front fenders, inner and outer. (I only needed the left but couldnt pass up the deal)

found a new dash pad

Got sliding windows for the topper.

I love craigs list!!!!

Tonight i started on the rear brakes, managed to replace the central hose and make new lines for left and right. In the process replacing the brake shoes. Brakes are a PITA espcially when replacing original equipment

ssdvc

Sounds like some good parts finds!!! Keep at it, it becomes fun after a short while.

SimonG

Well today we managed to finish resealing the transfer case so hopefully no more issues with that (though it did take almost a whole tube of silicone and several tries to get the transfer cover back on. Also got the drive shaft U-joints replaced and the drive shafts back in so the drive train is done.

Still got 1 leak in the brake lines, have I said how much I hate brake lines?
Now it looks like I may have to replace the water pump..... sigh
Then its on to wheel bearings

SimonG

Well its coming along. Yesterday i got new shocks and all around (Rancho RS5000, nice shocks) Got differentials sealed and fluid changed. Gotthe wheel bearings torn apoart to replace (thanks Top Prop for the thread on that
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/73015-m1009-wheel-bearing-servicing-hub-replacement.html) when we had the Driver side front locking hub apart, found out the spring is missing!! Now I get to scrounge junk yards for a discontinued spring :(
Tomorrow its the water pump and sway bar bushings then onto the body and interior

ralbelt

There are a few threads about replacing the harmonic balancer. Seeing that you will have the front of the engine apart it would be a good time to do it.

boomer431

I would go ahead and do the doghead starter relay conversion and bypass the glow plug resistor. I put sliders in my top also , it's a good upgrade.

SimonG

Ill check my harmonic balancer tomorrow. As for the Doghead, I got the parts, I dont know why I havent done it yet.
I was going to put in a new wiring harness but the one one I was getting fell through. Would a harness out of a 6.5 work?

SimonG

Well didnt get to the power steering pump today but fixed the right rear brake (I think) that was smoking yesterday. Also got the Doghead relay done, switched out the GPR and put my civilian seats in, much more comfortable.
My son helped with the brake and wanted to take it for a test drive, so I let him around the neighborhood, he gets back and tells me "hey you dont have any lights, and sure enough, no lights, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

below are the old and new seats

Attachments

Last edited:

SimonG

Well after I changed the GPR and did the Doghead, I am now lightless, truck starts just fine but no lights at all. Iv checked the fuzes, obvious loose wires, the -20 and searchd here with no luck, so unless someone has any idea where I should start looking thats another project that will have to wait. aua

SimonG

Well got the water pump changed out.... bigger pain than I was expecting but its now good to go.

As for my lights, I couldnt figure out why they started working today, I havent even looked at them. Well it seems I have a friend with a sense of humor and access to the trucks wires and fuzes. Little !#$^ kept loosening wires and switching blown fuzes. :grin:

SimonG

88 Burb, fit pretty good, just a couple holes drilled. Alot more comfortable than the stock seats, they recline and ARMRESTS!

SimonG

This is most of the stuff Iv done since I got my truck, Im pretty happy with the progress, esp considering Iv never worked on vehicles before. :D
Im tired, its time for a break fat lady sings
All bulbs and fuzes replaced
Replace floor pans
Replace universal joints (front and back (done)
Rear transfer housing leaking (fixed 7/24/11)
Replace both mufflers
Replace gas tank straps
Replace shocks (Done 8/5/11 with Rancho RS5000)
Replace brake lines (Done)
Wheel cylinders (Done)
Brakes (Done)
Sway bar bushing (Done 8/15/11)
Power steering pump missing bolt
Grease tie rods
Pressure test coolant system Done 6/05/11
New Air filter
Clean intake
Power break/steering booster, replace Its good to go
New batteries (these are too small)
Change all hoses (Power steering and coolant hoses replaced 6/19/11)
Drain and replace all fluids (Done)
Wiper motor replaced
Diffs resealed and new fluid (Done)
New seats
Water pump

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks