• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple, Cheap, Glow Plug Removal By Coal Cracker

Coal Cracker

So after contemplating how to remove some swollen glow plugs, and not wanting to spend money on so called specialized tools I came up with my own cheap easy way to do this.
plug-1.jpg 1 We need a set of M10-010 nuts.
plug-2.jpg 2 Cut the head off with a dremel or a pneumatic cut off wheel.
plug-3.jpg 3 Cut an indentation into the plug for a screwdriver.
plug-5.jpg 4 Screw first nut onto plug, insert screwdriver into slot and turn screwdriver back and forth while turning nut against the block, be sure that plug threads are all the way out of the block before doing this.
plug-6.jpg5 When first nut runs out of threads on the plug , thread second nut on the outside and place wrench on that nut using the inner nut as a wedge, keep turning the screwdriver to loosen the carbon from the tip of the plug, TAKE YOUR TIME !plug-7.jpg 6 Congratulations, you've removed a swollen glow plug, and saved some money ! Good Luck

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thinking. That's essentially how the special glow plug removal tools work. For an engine on a stand that's a great free way of extracting swelled plugs. However, this process would be next to impossible to do on an engine that's still in a vehicle, especially on the rear-most glow plugs.

Coal Cracker

Actually you can get to the rear plugs, pull the front tire, and go through the rubber between the inner fender and the frame. Yes it is easier on the stand, but it's harder to get a pair of vice grips on it while it's in the truck. It's a pain no matter how you look at it, but beats pulling and injector and the possibility of breaking the tip off with the grips. Yes the possibility of breaking a tip is still there using this method, but as with using " The Special Tool" they state there's still a risk of tip breaking.

Last edited:
Yeah, I suppose as long as you're really careful cutting the top off you're good to go. I never thought about going from the bottom.
Your cheap trick seems just as easy as the GP extractor tool once you get the tops cut off. Yeah, if the plugs are swelled too much, no tool, special or not will get them out in one piece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks