• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple Tag Bracket

gbooth

Over the past year and a half I have seen a lot of comment on how to mount a tag with out needing to drill holes in the truck. This is a simple bracket I fabricated last year and it has served me well. It can be made with or with out a light, Using onty hand tools (Hack saw Drill ans 2 Half inch wrenches.

First you will need a piece of strap steel I got this piece at the local hardware store it is ¾” wide and 63” long.

Cut your steel in to 5 pieces as follows
1- 7” long
1-7 ½ “ long
1- 11” long
1- 3” long
1- 3 ½” long

Attachments

gbooth

Next drill a 5/16 hole in each end on the 7” and 7 ½” piece
Measure 3” down on the 7” and 7 ½” and drill a 5/16” hole this will be for the light. (note if you do not want a light skip this step and you will also not need the 3” and 3 ½” piece)

Drill a 5/16” hole on 1 end of the 3” and 3 /12” piece and on the other drill a hole 1/8” from the end size to match the screws that come with the tag light, I used a Chevy pickup light got it off the HELP shelf at the local Auto parts.

Measure in 2” from the ends of the 11” piece and also drill a 5/16” hole this is where your tag will bolt up.

With the 7” piece to the outside of truck and the light hole 3” from the bottom bolt the 11” to the bottom hole place your tag on ( you will need to also drill the mounting holes on the tag out to5/16” as well) same on the inside piece 3” hole towards the bottom. Light mounting pieces towards the center

Attachments

gbooth

Loosely bolt this all pieces together and fit on the Truck. Under the back end of the bed where the supports for the mud flap bolts on there is a channel that already has 2 holes in it. Bolt to the truck and move bracket left or right till tag is level.

Tighten bolts tight in the top and on the bottom of bracket. Then line up the mounting holes in the light and attach with the screws that came with light ( This is also the time to change the light bulb to a 24 volt light bulb). With this done tighten the light holder pieces. ( it dose not matter which side gets the 3” or the 3 ½” piece left or right makes no difference

Attachments

gbooth

At this point you are basically done all that is left to do is wire the light. Run the light wire over to your tail light find the tail light wire on the truck and splice into it ( I used a Scotch Lock connector) If you want Paint it all OD and looks like it was always there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks