• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the info. I do go by Rockwood/Harriman when I go to Dandridge or Johnson City to visit friends and family. I have a guy with new G177 on the awful split rims, that I can get for $275 @. Not so cheap on the 395s that are new...more like $340 @. I would go with singles all around, but the rear duals would run the road smoother and carry more load. You seem to have put together a lot of combos, what do you recommend as the best cost effient and most useful set up. The truck has OK tread but the tires are old enough I do not trust them for cross country hauls. Too much tread and sidewall cracking. I have a buddy in Crossville that sells a number of military tires too.
@South has tires in Cookeville.

I run 12R24.5 Goodyear G177s on my drive tires and I've got well over 150k miles on em and they aren't even half worn on virgins.

DeMilitarized

Thanks for the info. I do go by Rockwood/Harriman when I go to Dandridge or Johnson City to visit friends and family. I have a guy with new G177 on the awful split rims, that I can get for $275 @. Not so cheap on the 395s that are new...more like $340 @. I would go with singles all around, but the rear duals would run the road smoother and carry more load. You seem to have put together a lot of combos, what do you recommend as the best cost effient and most useful set up. The truck has OK tread but the tires are old enough I do not trust them for cross country hauls. Too much tread and sidewall cracking. I have a buddy in Crossville that sells a number of military tires too.
My tires arnt that bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiero11

You've been a lot of help on M915a1 acquisition. I'm mostly familiar with the 800 and 900 series trucks. I'm getting ready to put 395 MTV tires on her mounted on 5 ton combat rims. Can you confirm for me that the 5 ton LH and RH 3/4"-16 lug nuts fit the wheel studs on the M915 before I spend a bunch on new lug nuts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You've been a lot of help on M915a1 acquisition. I'm mostly familiar with the 800 and 900 series trucks. I'm getting ready to put 395 MTV tires on her mounted on 5 ton combat rims. Can you confirm for me that the 5 ton LH and RH 3/4"-16 lug nuts fit the wheel studs on the M915 before I spend a bunch on new lug nuts?
You will use the stock lug nuts in the front. They are 7/8.

Rears are 3/4" -16 under the thimbles.

fiero11

You will use the stock lug nuts in the front. They are 7/8.

Rears are 3/4" -16 under the thimbles.
Thank you for the information. I am just now learning what I need to know on this series trucks. I can see why they are a favorite of so many people who like the big military trucks. I, myself, have quickly become fond of the M915a1 since I got it. I hope maybe to add a M916 to the collection later.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And another one showed up that needs to be built.... least oil changes and greasing everything is easy.

Has a Recon motor in it. It does not have an RRAD tag on it. Just 1 Mwo.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
She got new shoes, 445 65 22.5 Sumitomos on the steer and 12R24.5 G177 recaps on the rear. May have the modify the spare tire carrier for the 12R to fit.

Engine has a 891 cpl.

New front tandem wheel seal and secure nut.

New air line and power cord.

Serviced all the engine and transmission filters.

Grote 7in round headlights

Stripped the interior and added a new air ride seat.

Prepped some of the cab rust.

Attachments

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, man how awesome would it be just to walk around & look at all the stuff/equipment you have!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks like an Illinois National Guard truck, mine was it's stablemate. Lots of rust from the salt.
Bumper and cab are reading 37 1 or L SB 112T 1486-335

Best I can make out of that is 371st Sustainment Brigade, 1486th transportation company out of Mansfield, OH

Attachments

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She got new shoes, 445 65 22.5 Sumitomos on the steer and 12R24.5 G177 recaps on the rear. May have the modify the spare tire carrier for the 12R to fit.

Engine has a 891 cpl.

New front tandem wheel seal and secure nut.

New air line and power cord.

Serviced all the engine and transmission filters.

Grote 7in round headlights

Stripped the interior and added a new air ride seat.

Prepped some of the cab rust.
Nice looking M915A1, still have the original M915A1 as well?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
891 CPL was ReCon's rebuild of the 614 CPL MVT 400. They were good runners. ReCon re-engineered the new CPL to not have the variable timing and they were able to do that by NOT being the original engine mfgr. They were a rebuilder, even though they are a Cummins owned entity, so they went through the process of getting their rebuild certified by the EPA. Kinda stupid that to conform to the CA. emissions, the MVT systems were developed only to be deleted by a rebuilder and meet the same emissions. Stupid CA. 614, 615 and 616 were replaced by 891, 892 and 893. If I remember right. Actually, the 614, and others, if converted to the oiled MVT system were reliable and ran hard. I bought one after 5 cam failures in a Pete 379 transfer truck. Did the oiling and put it to work, ran it 5 years with no issues and sold it to the guy I hired to operate it. Made me money and made the driver money.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
891 CPL was ReCon's rebuild of the 614 CPL MVT 400. They were good runners. ReCon re-engineered the new CPL to not have the variable timing and they were able to do that by NOT being the original engine mfgr. They were a rebuilder, even though they are a Cummins owned entity, so they went through the process of getting their rebuild certified by the EPA. Kinda stupid that to conform to the CA. emissions, the MVT systems were developed only to be deleted by a rebuilder and meet the same emissions. Stupid CA. 614, 615 and 616 were replaced by 891, 892 and 893. If I remember right. Actually, the 614, and others, if converted to the oiled MVT system were reliable and ran hard. I bought one after 5 cam failures in a Pete 379 transfer truck. Did the oiling and put it to work, ran it 5 years with no issues and sold it to the guy I hired to operate it. Made me money and made the driver money.
Well it didn't last but about 22miles with no load

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a broken crimp on an injector. Sounds like more toward the top in the first video, but next to impossible to tell if not there. No pressure out the blow-by tube or oil filler?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Maybe a broken crimp on an injector. Sounds like more toward the top in the first video, but next to impossible to tell if not there. No pressure out the blow-by tube or oil filler?
No internal pressure. No fluid mixtures. Rotella smell was pretty bad in the cab.

Exhaust port is wet from fuel. There is an existing water mark on the block

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if there is fuel there, not a crimp. Water or coolant being pumped out a cylinder usually cleans the port, kinda acts like a cleaning agent. Have you pulled the lid and brake yet? Could have an issue with the brake adjuster, cross head or it's adjuster, something left loose or a bent PT. Open it up, start it with the lid off and see what it looks like when running.

Where did you get the engine? The water mark coming off the center of the port is most likely from the manifold getting wet and the water running off the pointed part of the manifold. Normally, a gasket that has water grommet issues leaks from between the heads or in the middle.

If you can, take a video of it running down into the overhead area. And you know not to run it w/o the brakes unless you install a solid rocker shaft set screw or use a block off, correct?

PM me your address, I want to send you something that I will never use again.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, if there is fuel there, not a crimp. Water or coolant being pumped out a cylinder usually cleans the port, kinda acts like a cleaning agent. Have you pulled the lid and brake yet? Could have an issue with the brake adjuster, cross head or it's adjuster, something left loose or a bent PT. Open it up, start it with the lid off and see what it looks like when running.

Where did you get the engine? The water mark coming off the center of the port is most likely from the manifold getting wet and the water running off the pointed part of the manifold. Normally, a gasket that has water grommet issues leaks from between the heads or in the middle.

If you can, take a video of it running down into the overhead area. And you know not to run it w/o the brakes unless you install a solid rocker shaft set screw or use a block off, correct?

PM me your address, I want to send you something that I will never use again.
Oil is coming out of the port. Knocks at higher rpm

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks