• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

single tires to duals

m35a2cowner

On a related note, I have done some initial search of the site and been unable to locate information concerning rims that would allow me to keep the dual wheel configuration (deuce) , up-size to 1100X20s and allow me to spend next to nothing for the whole thing. I know that is a tall order but, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for any help you can give me. :razz:

91W350

Just some labor and the cost of tires and tubes, the deuce wheels will be perfect. You just gain 4 inches in diameter and the fuels will be a little closer together.

Ridgerunner

Duals Rule.........

To me, a singeled out Deuce with 9.00x20's or even the 11.00x20's looks like it has Polio, with it's little cripple legs back there.

If I ever ditch the Bobbed Deuce and run a regular normal Deuce, it will be dualled, for sure.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1100 X 20 NDT Duals on a Deuce are my cup of tea.....

And I have seen some mighty nice singled out wheels as well.

Love the variety of life.

DEUCE1209

Thank you all very much for the great info! this was exactly what i was looking for. Now i understand how the duals fit together.

** plym49, Have a safe trip to VT. I'm only about 30 - 45 mins from 91 so if you run into any problems going through MA, let me know and I'll come help you.

m35a2cowner

Duals

Just some labor and the cost of tires and tubes, the deuce wheels will be perfect. You just gain 4 inches in diameter and the fuels will be a little closer together.
I know, its just that I would like to get away from the split rims and go tubeless. I know its a modification, but I could do the tire work at home and not have the cost of tubes and the need to take them somewhere for repair.

plym49

Thank you all very much for the great info! this was exactly what i was looking for. Now i understand how the duals fit together.

** plym49, Have a safe trip to VT. I'm only about 30 - 45 mins from 91 so if you run into any problems going through MA, let me know and I'll come help you.
Sounds good, PM sent.

91W350

I know, its just that I would like to get away from the split rims and go tubeless. I know its a modification, but I could do the tire work at home and not have the cost of tubes and the need to take them somewhere for repair.
They are not really a true split rim, they have a lock ring. You can still do them at home, it is a lot of work though. Glen

m35a2cowner

They are not really a true split rim, they have a lock ring. You can still do them at home, it is a lot of work though. Glen

After all the horror stories of the lock ring coming off I just don't want to fool with that either. Also, if I have have to buy tires then I don't have to fool around with or buy new tubes and boots. Just looking for the simplicity of tubeless while keeping the duals.

ODdave

Not shure what kind of tubeless rims your going to run that your going to "swap out " tires at home...... If your going to run duals you will be limited to Drop Center rims. Good luck changing those any easier than snap rings.......

P.S., those "horror stories" come from idiots not knowing how to properly clean rims and mount the tires. Darwinism is a bitc*

Last edited:

m35a2cowner

rims

Back in the Dark Ages I use to work for U-Haul. Saw the tire guy change many a tubeless dual tire/wheel in the parking lot with a tire hammer and tire iron. That's the type of set up I would like to have.

Katahdin

On the flat tire issue, I would much rather run one flat and destroy the tire than take a chance in traffic changing one. Along the same lines, I would rather recognize right away that it is flat and look for a solution, than catch one on fire not realizing it was flat. Once you get a tire and undercoating on fire, it is next to impossible to put out. Besides, it must be just my luck, but front tire flats are much more prevalent than rear tire flats for me. Everybody has their own idea of what works good for them, it would not be much fun if we were all the same in preferences and tastes. Glen
Good point, I once had a tire disintegrate on a dually Ryder moving truck on the New Jersey Turnpike on a Sunday. My only saving grace was being able to limp down to the next exit because Ryder's roadside assistance wasn't authorized to work on the NJ turnpike and good luck getting help on a Sunday.

ODdave

Back in the Dark Ages I use to work for U-Haul. Saw the tire guy change many a tubeless dual tire/wheel in the parking lot with a tire hammer and tire iron. That's the type of set up I would like to have.
Try that with a 20 or 22.5 with the "thick" sidewall the mil tires have. Might change your mind.

91W350

Watching this might change your mind too. That is a lot of energy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_a90uARa0&feature=player_embedded[/media]

91W350

I may be in for the Darwin award, I always ran a pair of 3/8 chain around the tire and wheel through the holes and used a remote air line. That would be using the four hooks in a cross pattern to secure the ring in the case I assembled it wrong or did not have the ring seated properly. Now I wonder if the four loops of chain would hold or if I just added projectiles. I use a clamp on air chuck and stand back a few feet. I never had one that was not seated, thankfully! Glen

91W350

Another one! These guys are living on borrowed time! Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjoyCLPk7I&feature=related[/media]

Prankster

Wow!

Watching this might change your mind too. That is a lot of energy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_a90uARa0&feature=player_embedded[/media]

I see that he had a safety chain locked around the wheel, and tire.
My Grandpa said: Always put a board across the entire wheel, and stand on top of it when you air up one of those big tires.

Last edited:

91W350

I think you find a cage or suitable substitute, use a clamp on air chuck, and stay as far away as you can, preferably behind a solid object while it seats. I do not think a board is going to reduce your injuries by much. I do not want to be on top of the wheel or ring at all when airing them up. 2cents Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks