• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singled Out Deuce Tractor

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Key word is "seem". I also rather enjoy the look of standard width tires up front.

Thanks Landbarger! My plans for the trailer are kind of up in the air at the moment. I have ruled out the M146 because I prefer the look of flatbed. I am currently torn between a step deck like Miltruck's old conversion from a van trailer, converting an M345 to a semi trailer with a M747 style gooseneck, and scratch building a trailer using deuce rear suspension components and again utilizing an M747-esque gooseneck.
Lot of choices for the front.

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple pics I found on the forum of the deuce tractors big brother, the M818 5 ton. Similar body so gives a good idea of what the deuce tractor on singles will look like

View attachment 573055

View attachment 573056

Next year I want to make a tractor platform for my deuce, but it will be a little different.
Same size tire setup on XM818 as my deuce tipper.

Attachments

M275Fan

11Echo, what type of wheels are those on the front of your deuce? I can't tell if they are MLVW or A3. If they are MLVW wheels, do those have the standard industrial bead or are the MPT like the A3's?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11Echo, what type of wheels are those on the front of your deuce? I can't tell if they are MLVW or A3. If they are MLVW wheels, do those have the standard industrial bead or are the MPT like the A3's?

MLVW wheels in all deuce pics except the last one of my deuce tipper. Those are A3's with 365's mounted on the front. The MLVW wheels are 5 degree flange. They are 6,000 lb rated unlike the A3 wheels which are rated 4,000 lbs. They like most tires!

Last edited:

M275Fan

Now do the MLVW's have a chamfer on both sides of the lug holes or are they single sided like the A3's? They seem like a solid alternative to A3 wheels for the rears if they can be mounted "dish out".

red

Key word is "seem". I also rather enjoy the look of standard width tires up front.

Thanks Landbarger! My plans for the trailer are kind of up in the air at the moment. I have ruled out the M146 because I prefer the look of flatbed. I am currently torn between a step deck like Miltruck's old conversion from a van trailer, converting an M345 to a semi trailer with a M747 style gooseneck, and scratch building a trailer using deuce rear suspension components and again utilizing an M747-esque gooseneck.
Check out the m295 trailer. It's a 5th wheel that carries the 17ft expandable shelter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As long as you aren't going to work it, mostly for show, put one of these behind your truck.

Attachments

M275Fan

Check out the m295 trailer. It's a 5th wheel that carries the 17ft expandable shelter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Red
That is the exact trailer I was referring to when I said "Miltruck's conversion from a van trailer" he built an incredible looking step deck out of it.
As long as you aren't going to work it, mostly for show, put one of these behind your truck.
11Echo, the M270 is just overly long and at nearly 20,000 lbs alone, that doesn't leave much room for any cargo capacity if I do need to pull a load. The length also isn't too friendly with the winding residential roads and congested traffic near where the truck will be stored. A 295 or 345 conversion would be much more suitable for me.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red
That is the exact trailer I was referring to when I said "Miltruck's conversion from a van trailer" he built an incredible looking step deck out of it.

11Echo, the M270 is just overly long and at nearly 20,000 lbs alone, that doesn't leave much room for any cargo capacity if I do need to pull a load. The length also isn't too friendly with the winding residential roads and congested traffic near where the truck will be stored. A 295 or 345 conversion would be much more suitable for me.
M345 weighs 11,260 empty, the M270A1 IS 17,500. How much will your gooseneck add in weight when applied to the M345? I take the M270 through small cities and make the right hand turns no problem. When the civilians spot that winch coming around the corner at them, they make room! Running through Loudonville and Mount Vernon on Ohio 3 is a treat!

This is one of Militrucks units back in the day.

Attachments

Last edited:

M275Fan

M345 weighs 11,260 empty... I take the M270 through small cities and make the right hand turns no problem. When the civilians spot that winch coming around the corner at them, they make room! Running through Loudonville and Mount Vernon on Ohio 3 is a treat!
I did not realize the trailer weighed that much! I thought it was some where around 8k. I figure the new neck might add at most 750lbs. And the length of the M270 is still an issue when maneuvering the old narrow streets of Roxborough or Quakertown here in PA. It would be great appearance wise, though.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not realize the trailer weighed that much! I thought it was some where around 8k. I figure the new neck might add at most 750lbs. And the length of the M270 is still an issue when maneuvering the old narrow streets of Roxborough or Quakertown here in PA. It would be great appearance wise, though.

I used to haul steel off Neville Island/ Mckees Rocks, Pa. Cars parked on both side of the street and a 10'w door to back into. After a while I got a new road atlas. The east coast was the Ohio line, (no more NY/Jersey). [thumbzup]

M345 data plate.

Attachments

M275Fan

Thanks for the input! I guess I can rule out the M345. At this point I'm starting to lean more toward converting a M295 based van trailer like Miltrucks did, with a few personal touches. I'll need to get that all done in CAD and look into the cost of that. Perhaps I'll also look into the M270 as well.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input! I guess I can rule out the M345. At this point I'm starting to lean more toward converting a M295 based van trailer like Miltrucks did, with a few personal touches. I'll need to get that all done in CAD and look into the cost of that. Perhaps I'll also look into the M270 as well.

M295 stripped.

Attachments

tobyS

Lot of choices for the front.

This is my favorite for a deuce. I'd do it on a 5 ton but the front rim (industrial) -tire (metric) combo when using the 365, is the problem. But on the M35, the A3 sure works great. Michelins look even better than the G177. Nice

DavidWymore

From looking online, they look similar to my 12.00-20 XMLs. Any idea what size they are? Can't find it online. I'd like to see some. I'll have to get with my milsurp tire guy.

rustystud

From looking online, they look similar to my 12.00-20 XMLs. Any idea what size they are? Can't find it online. I'd like to see some. I'll have to get with my milsurp tire guy.
I don't have any pictures but they look very similier to the Michelin 395's but narrower. That's why they fit so nice on the deuce rims. Tall and narrow but very aggressive tire pattern.

M275Fan

Finally updated the CAD model with as close i can get to an M295 step deck conversion. There are some discrepancies to a real world version mandated by the fact that i do not have one readily available to take measurements and based on the fact that the process of making an exact replica is time consuming (72+ hours in the tractor alone...).
Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 4.25.40 PM.jpg