• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singled Out Deuce Tractor

tobyS

Nice job, especially getting it to post on SS. I think the 5th wheel is a bit higher, other than that, looks great. Are you taking a trailer that had a ring and making it 5th wheel? I was just looking at doing that to an M1061 in combination with about a 10' extension, perhaps dropped deck, to fit my M931A2.

M275Fan

Nice job, especially getting it to post on SS. I think the 5th wheel is a bit higher, other than that, looks great. Are you taking a trailer that had a ring and making it 5th wheel? I was just looking at doing that to an M1061 in combination with about a 10' extension, perhaps dropped deck, to fit my M931A2.
tobyS that is one of my thoughts. Still working on acquiring the truck and trailer. What I have drawn up in CAD is my best attempt to create an M295 trailer converted to a step deck. It never even occurred to me that the M1061 was an option but it does seem pretty viable. I say you should go for it. It would definitely be unique and a useful build. I Say go for it and keep us posted with a build thread!

tobyS

Okay, so you are talking about a trailer that had a van on it but does have the 5th wheel?

In Indiana, we were suddenly fairly far from the GP auctions and I can't buy another 1061 easily...and the ring does still attach to any 939 series or deuce, don't need a tractor. I started to think about it when I was eyeing the four jacks for putting on a sawmill project (on an M105 axle/frame).

Here are a couple pics of the 105 frame/axle.

Attachments

M275Fan

Okay, so you are talking about a trailer that had a van on it but does have the 5th wheel?

In Indiana, we were suddenly fairly far from the GP auctions and I can't buy another 1061 easily...and the ring does still attach to any 939 series or deuce, don't need a tractor. I started to think about it when I was eyeing the four jacks for putting on a sawmill project (on an M105 axle/frame).

I listed a few ideas that I had for a trailer behind my (hopefully) soon to be truck. One was using an existing semi trailer and converting it from an expandable van to a step deck. I am also thinking about converting a bumper pull trailer with lunette ring to a semi trailer by addition of a goose neck and building the entire trailer myself. I must have misread what you said. I thought you were considering converting an M1061 to a semitrailer for your M931. But the M105 frame that you have there does bring some ideas for scratch building a trailer.

tobyS

I was thinking about making a gooseneck for my M1061 plus make the front about 10' longer. But I'm working on buying a deuce, so may want to use it behind either vehicle, both have pintle rings.

Since I cannot replace the 1061 easily, or buy another without traveling too far, I doubt I'll make that change.

But yes, there are a lot of van trailers with good solid ready to go frames for the 5th wheel connection...a drop deck.

Oh, I'll mention that I bought 5 of the fifth wheel kingpin plates that are a great start for connecting to the tractor.

Attachments

M275Fan

I was thinking about making a gooseneck for my M1061 plus make the front about 10' longer. But I'm working on buying a deuce, so may want to use it behind either vehicle, both have pintle rings....
Oh, I'll mention that I bought 5 of the fifth wheel kingpin plates that are a great start for connecting to the tractor.
I think it is a great idea and if you can find another M1061 id suggest just building it. Now about the 1061s, do they use the same bolt pattern as the deuce?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

... custom built, not by me...

Attachments

tobyS

Now about the 1061s, do they use the same bolt pattern as the deuce?
I looked yesterday and they do appear to be the same bolt pattern, 6 lug. Now that wheel change would lower a 105 down closer to the ground, without sacrificing capacity.

M275Fan

Another update on my plans for the deuce. Redesigned the front clip of the truck with some MTVR inspired design features. Starting to rack up quite a build list and I don't even have the truck yet. Lol! I am probably getting too far ahead of myself. It seems that's what I get for being young and ambitious. Anyway, here are some pictures and perhaps inspiration for someone else who's getting a bit tired of the standard deuce look.
Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 7.10.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-19 at 7.12.00 PM.jpg

tobyS

I'm considering something similar with the 1061 trailer, but making it a gooseneck that has a changeable hitch (a 4" tube) inside a sleeve that is 5". Initially it will hitch to my 931, but could just as easily attach to a deuce or be changed to a ball (2 5/16" or 3") gooseneck. That way it doesn't need a tractor but would readily adjust to about any pull vehicle. Has air over hydraulic brakes.

The pivoting axle on the 1061 will make it so I can tilt the back, the original trailer, for loading and then flatten out to drive machinery further forward...like transporting a telescoping boom man-lift. Simply adding 12 or 14' and keeping it flat or dropped deck, would be a good way to go if loading was not an issue.

My M35A3 arrived today and limped into the yard (off the truck). It has tranny problems but with only 10k miles has potential. It gets new 395's XZL Michelins and TLC with the Allison...and paint. Sure would be nice to dump.

The front of your truck is different than mine, the thinner section in the middle (bumper) is up on mine and would be really difficult to change, even though I like the look of the double bumper, matched like you show them.

A word of advise. Don't make it so custom that you have too much to do and can't get it done. Do you really need a fifth-wheel or would a bed with ball hidden beneath a plate work for your needs, but retain the use of a bed. A 2 5/16" ball gooseneck can have up to a 30,000# trailer and a 3" can do 40,000#. Then if by chance you did want to sell what you build, you have not made time and money consuming changes that you don't recoup your investment. Then again if you already have or have a lead for a deuce tractor....maybe that is the way to go. I had a cargo in mind.

Last edited:

M275Fan

tobyS I hear what you're saying about over-modifying it, but this deuce would never be sold after I build (it when I do). Even if I were to try it wouldn't sell because I like tailoring things to myself. And while a bed is nice to have and a fifth wheel is overkill, its more of an appearance thing. I personally love the tractor look and frankly the truck would be about 60-65% toy. The bumper, from my understanding, is mounted with the divet on the bottom when it is not set up with a winch. So if your truck has a winch, it would need to be removed for it to be mated with another bumper like the one I have modeled (based off of rustystud's real bumpers). Your idea for the M1061 sounds good. I'd really like to see it become a reality, perhaps even inspiring what I do decide to build trailer-wise. At the moment this truck is at least a year and a half from becoming reality and the plans are subject to change. I am open to all SteelSoldiers' input, though when push comes to shove it will be my truck. I do thank everyone for their advice and ask that y'all keep it coming.

Last edited:

tobyS

Mine does not have a winch and it is upside down to the top bumper in your sketch. Maybe you will come across a deuce tractor at just the right time. Good luck.