• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Site Update News

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, if you are like me and a little slow on the uptake, do the following:
When you first sign on you will see the tool bar at the top.
You will see the tab that says forum, but you wont see the tab that says donate.
Just click on the forum tab and when the screen refreshes you will see that the
tab donate is now there next to the forum tab.

It's all done with mirrors.

Bruce

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a web designer. I would like to offer my services free of charge to help in updating this site. I can build websites, forums, etc. PM me for details.

Visit my website for a portfolio: Engineered Websites, LLC.

That is probably the single best suggestion/offer I read in this entire post so far. I certainly hope somebody contacts you about this generous offer. I know there are several members with expertise and training in this particular area (website design and development), and I hope Chris takes you up on this idea.

Stan Leschert

Oh, Yeah, I do have to thank the stupid buggers who got stuffed in to the thankless job of moderating our mindless drivel, and trying to keep things civil. The unwilling volunteers were chosen well, and at least I appreciate it!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could easily be a Moderator's Creed:

We the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing,
Are doing the IMPOSSIBLE
For the UNGRATEFUL.
We have done SO MUCH,
For SO LONG,
With SO LITTLE,
That we are NOW qualified
To do ANYTHING
With NOTHING !

Thank you, Chris, Mangus, and the SS Moderator Team !
You ARE AWESOME !

Cucvnut

What a Mod does, and what Mangus does, are not the same thing.

Moderators can edit, delete, and otherwise manipulate posts and threads. Mangus actually manipulates the website. Everything you see, and everything you can do, is because he has loaded and enabled the vBulletin and probably other third party software. It's not like loading Word or game software, the website must interact with the database precisely, or the whole website become instant garbled garbage. And the problem may not be easy to find and fix.

I don't know what experience the SS Moderators have in website design and management, some of them may have the needed knowledge, but it's a pretty specific skill set and very time consuming. I would be willing to bet that at least some of them can't "step up and become Mangus's equal." It's not really a hierarchy of time spent, it's about technical skill and knowledge./
thanks for your input but i already know there is a difference.

Last edited:

truck1

[thumbzup]Donation sent.Thankyou SS and all responsible for helping me get my CUCV M1028 restored and roadworthy.All the advice and threads have enabled me to DO IT MYSELF,and save $$$$$$$$$.Great site and resource.Please help it endure for a long time!!!!

OSO

With out this site , there would be a lot of lost knowledge of this equipment the members need . This site is worth making a donation to. I sent my donation to future upgrades, money well spent. 2cents2cents

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sent my $100, that's nothing compared to what I would have spent on hiring my personal mechanic, electrian, painter, support team and friends!

tnttnt187

Well we all know the value of this site . The knowledge gained, the ability to sell and buy.But the true and undetermined value is the members and all they bring to the table. The people like "LIFER". People are the difference. GIVE what you can to help Chris and the staff make the changes that will make a great site better. We all want the best for this site just beochin don't change nuttin.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for all of your kind words of support. I didn't start this thread with fundraising in mind, but I really appreciate the donations too. I know times are tough for a lot of folks out there so your generosity means a lot to me and the rest of the SS family.

Some have asked why the site needs such extensive and maybe expensive upgrades. The main reason is that the vBulletin software that we have been using to run the site has proven inflexible and sometimes vulnerable to attacks. We would like to install a lot of value-added features to the site, but vB isn't set up to do it efficiently. Therefor we have decided to switch to the Drupal format which will give us a ton of innovative mods to draw from and the increased flexibility that we need.

One thing that I am seriously looking at is a free basic membership that would anyone to join at no charge and have access to the basic features of the site including the "newbie" forum categories, TM's, chat, paid classifieds, and browsing abilities for photo albums, video galleries, the member map, etc... There would also be a premium member option with a low annual fee that would give members free unlimited classifieds, video hosting, photo hosting, PM's, member map, special forum sections, etc... That would solve our classified spam issues amongst other things. It would also generate some $$ to pay a part-time developer to do regular site maintenance and upgrades. Just thinking out loud here.

SixSpeed

Banned
Thank you for all of your kind words of support.

I am a member of probably, no exaggeration, one hundred forums of varying types all across the internet. I usually opt for "premium memberships" on the forums that offer them.

The thing about Steel Soldiers is that is just isn't discussion and Q&A like most forums, it is an INVALUABLE resource to anyone who owns a military vehicle. If the future website had a GOOD TM/Resource/Articles/Vehicle Specifications section I would have NO PROBLEM paying a fee to have access to it.

Ever since the Resource section of the current website went down, I have spent countless hours looking for the information that was there. It is out there, but you really have to look for some of it. It has been a huge waste of time for me, and time is money, so if Steel Soldiers can save me time, I can afford to pay.

I stand by my offer of a $100 donation if a plan is drawn up, ready to be put into action.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update Chris your efforts are truly appreciated and like what was said before this site is a hobby not a business, and I certainly understand TIME is of a premium for most of us so NO apoligies are needed I most certainly understand and thanks again for your efforts they are truly appreciated!
KK

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Karl.

I spoke with a firm here in town yesterday that specializes in marketing and web services. I have known the owner and one of his associates for many years and I know they will shoot straight with me. I think I'll be able to get the necessary changes made in a stepwise fashion at a lower cost. The associate is supposed to get back with me next week with more information. Stay tuned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks