• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sitting/ Storage Time

McCluskey

How long could I let my '09 sit, either in the garage or driveway, until it would need maintenance to run again? I have a potential job that could take me away from my home 3-4 months at a time, and I'm trying to figure out my storage options.

What could be done to keep it from needing maintenance? Like having someone start it up every X number of days, etc.

Rustsleeps

By the looks of your photo, even if it runs, you should not drive it on the road. At least the hood needs fixing so you could see...rofl

quickfarms

Inside storage is best. Here in socal you do note need to worry about a cliamate controled garage just needs to be vented.

Add fuel stabilizer to keep the algee at bay

disconect the batteries.

Do a complete inspection before you drive it next time and then you should be good to go.

quickfarms

This is assuming it is started and driven every 3 to 4 months.

The oil should be preplaced yearly at a minimum.

The antifreeze should be changed every two to three years.

The trans fluid every five years max.

The rest of the fluids is up to you but you can take the factory maintence schedule and use 12,000 miles per year to estimate the time.

Rustsleeps

:ditto:I had figured that was not the 09 you were worried about. Diesel will keep quite a while. I still think it is best to start em up at least every couple weeks. I have a couple vehicles including one diesel that are stored over the salty salty Wisconsin winter. I keep the battery charged and start up and run for at least 15 minutes beyond normal operating temp. is reached. I also try and make them roll, at least down the driveway (it is long) just to lube the moving parts and seals. You want to make sure the engine gets a chance to warm up enough to keep moisture and condensation issues away.

Sorry about the photo comment, it just seemed funny looking at the photo of the crashed 09 and reading your concerns. Hope no one was hurt. I looks like the passenger compartment was not crushed at time of impact.

jeeplvr247

I had a CJ7 sit for 7 years without doing anything. just charged the battery and she fired right and ran like it had just been parked that day. God bless cars without computers.

combatmech

When I was deployed last year, she sat for 30 plus days at a stretch. Had my girlfriend drive it once a month. It wasnt until I got home that I had Gen2 die on me....

Rustsleeps

I wonder how long vehicles sit on base with no use. I am only guessing from photos, that the larger rock they are parked on helps keep the tires from rotting in mud or damp ground. Solar chargers were added to keep batteries alive. I know the mileage on military vehicles can not be considered exact, but a 1009 with 40,000 miles (if accurate) has done a lot of sitting in 25 years...This is only speculation-please correct me if this is not correct.

kweb434

Keep the float charger on and when you get back from your job. Start it up and let it warm up drive slow to start with and you should be good to go.