• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Size and weight of the M1009

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, they weigh 6200?

JohnFire

Curb weight is 5200 lbs max weight is 6400 lbs, if you download the transportablility guidance manual, it has all the info one the vehicles for dimensions, and weights. Some nice info.

maritimer

Re: RE: Size and weight of the M1009

clinto said:
Wow, they weigh 6200?
took mine over a scale today at the dump, with a ful ltank of fuel, no cap, me , a winch and my range gear, 6279.
so i am guessing curb weight empty is around 5800-5900

kyleJ

The civillian Blazer had a lighter curb weight - is the majority of the weight due to the 6.2? What can be done to lighten a M1009, if anything?

EDIT: I know that this is resurrecting an old thread, but it shows I used the search button, keeps all the info in one place, and doesn't pollute with more of the same threads.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weight of a mixed/matched M1008/m1009: steer axle 3120 lbs, drive axle 3000 lbs. This is the CAT scale nomenclature.

Thats an M1009 Blazer w/ M1008 pickup axles.

No top,
No tailgate.
No back seat,
trail doors
+rollcage
+ 2 spare tires
+ CO2 tank
Full of diesel

Me in it (after lunch).

Last edited:

honda

Weight of a mixed/matched M1008/m1009: steer axle 3120 lbs, drive axle 3000 lbs. This is the CAT scale nomenclature.

Thats an M1009 Blazer w/ M1008 pickup axles.

No top,
No tailgate.
No back seat,
trail doors
+rollcage
+ 2 spare tires
+ CO2 tank
Full of diesel

Me in it (after lunch).
Olly Hondro, mind me asking what the C02 tank is for?

thanks,,,Honda

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The civillian Blazer had a lighter curb weight - is the majority of the weight due to the 6.2? What can be done to lighten a M1009, if anything?

EDIT: I know that this is resurrecting an old thread, but it shows I used the search button, keeps all the info in one place, and doesn't pollute with more of the same threads.
Any way you look at Blazers are big heavy boat anchors , but they are also so prone to rust they lighten themselves over time

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airing up the tires (instead of an air compressor)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
That is correct. The CO2 is stored in liquid form, like propane, so there is alot more "air" available than a scuba tank would store. Regulated at 115 psi, can fill a 37" tire in less than a minute. Also can run pnuematic tools = my favorite thing to do. Well, second favorite.

There is no worry of explosion: If the valve was to become compromised, the tank contents would instantly freeze. So the physicists tell me.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Putting the Blazer on a diet is a formidable task, with unsatisfying results. You see all I have stripped off mine and its near GVW, well, would be if suspension was stock. There are multiple threads on the interweb with titles like "K5 on a diet" that will give you ideas. Some are difficult to implement e.g. a plexi windshield.

I think our efforts should be focussed on how the weight is distributed front to back, for best performance. The Blazer isn't far from 50/50 in stock configuration (2835/2365). Surprising. Then a little COG management = not too much lift, you get a truck that can take fancy new jeeps to school ;)

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 also weighs in at 6000 lbs. Mine also has 1-ton axles, H1 wheels w/ 38" tires. They add some weight, but not sure how much over stock.

I have driven it onto the scale at work several times. I never weighed a stock one.

honda

My M1009 also weighs in at 6000 lbs. Mine also has 1-ton axles, H1 wheels w/ 38" tires. They add some weight, but not sure how much over stock.

I have driven it onto the scale at work several times. I never weighed a stock one.
My fully loaded 1009 tips the CAT scale at 7777 with me in it.
1 tons
ARB's
Disc brakes
126 gallons fuel
Shankum built front and rear bumpers with Wern winch/compressor
LineX and lizard skin interior coatings top and bottom
pinon guard
6 quantity 285/75 R16 GoodYear Kevlars (desert driving)
60 feet Grade 70 recovery chain and binders ( bought new, now in used condition)
2 Hi-lifts ( same as above)
Aluminum radiator
Banks Sidewinder
Stock 6.2 ( except for Banks) Th400 and 208
fan enabled intercooler
frame mounted receiver hitch
Cooling system upgrade by paradoxbydesign (Joe Blow) It actually works.
Top Rack
Nostalgia air
No rear seat
Interior Roll cage 1 3/4" dom
My tools, spare parts, oil, 8 qts Stanadyne lubricity and 180lbs of me with the PLB and GPS.
That's the weight stuff

The 373 yukons keep me at 65mph turning 2600 rpm's. Don't wanna go faster. 60 is my preferred speed. I usually get passed by everyone , including Jed Clampet.
I'm done adding weight, except for some new radio gear.

Sure, fully loaded it's heavy, but it all works and works well as long as I keep up the maintenance, and respond to gauge readings. Gauges are really important. I can adjust GVW by reducing fuel and tool load. Diesel weighs ~ 7lbs/gl. 7x100=700. Do I really need to carry a spare vacum pump etc. etc..
The turbo and 373's provide adequate line shot and at least some decent road speed.

If I ask her, she will go up the Salt River Canyon at 45mph, a/c off.
BTW...no lift. Don't need or want it. Not interested in changing the geometry down below. No tire rub.
She runs fine for 8-10 hours in 115 desert heat without H20 or tranny overheating.

All great sport while I'm learning (mostly from generous competent folks on this website and a few local motor pool guys on post) a boat load of how to build and maintain these beasts.

I guess that's why they call these things "Project Trucks".

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks